Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New(ish) Player

Hullo,

I've been playing airsoft for nearly a year now, and I'm just starting to buy my own gear. (thanks for the DEagle, Destroyer :D)

My main stubling block is as there are so many gun manufacturers out there. I'm getting a feeling about most companies from reputation, although I understand how this can also be biased.

I'm looking for a main weapon, a few I have looked at:

M4
    G36
    FAMAS
    MP7

Is there any others like these I should consider?

From the following Manufacturers:

TM
    CA
    STAR
    G&G

Again, any others?

I tend to (at the moment) play indoor skirmishs (at newport, wales) so something for this would be ideal, and maybe getting into woodland this summer.

My budget is £100-£300, would prefer a new gun, or if possible a well looked after example of a better gun, second-hand.

Any tips/advice would be greatly welcomed.
    Last edited by Clart; 17 March, 2009, 16:13. Reason: Spelling/Grammar

Re: New(ish) Player

As your buying your own gear for the first time, try some JG.

Comment

i disagree with starting out with JG - clones are good if you dont want to spend much but if he has a budget of up to £300 he could get a weapon that will last him his entire skirmishing life

i would reccomend starting out with TM - they are pretty much the most reliable make and stock can out perform heavily upgraded guns from any brand

BUT - depends if you want to go with the realism of a metal body, or the lightweight plastic bodies
      |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

I seem to be swaying towards TM, they just seem to have a reputation for quality.

To be honest, I'm not too fussed if it's full metal, just something that works, will keep working, and if/when it does fail, it's not a PITA to fix.

Comment

TM is widely considered to be one of the best manufacturers out there. They are generally underpowered at 280fps but this can be sorted easily enough with a 1 joule spring.

To put it simply - you can't really go wrong with a TM.

What type of gun are you swaying towards then?

Comment

G36, I think.

But it's swaping quite frequently between this and an M4/M16, as I've been using M4 Rentals.

Comment

Actually try G&G combat machine, or get a tm m4 and upgrade the hell outta it :D

Comment

i think i have to agree with people here, TM M4, and the upgrade it, will never let you down

Comment

tbh mate if i were you i would get a tm m4 or m16

you are used to them, they are easy to fix/upgrade as most airsoft parts fit them, very reliable and good performance stock

dont bother with upgrades untill you understand the guns more - upgraded guns tend to break more than stock guns

the g36 is very nice but the mags are large and difficult to carry- m4 mags are very slim and easier to carry imo

thats just my opinion though
                  |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

That's another thing, upgrades.

I'd like to get a tracer unit, but other than that, is there any "must have" uprades for TM rifles?

The only thing I really know about the inside workings of airsoft guns is the trigger makes the bb fly :P

Is there any actual difference between the two, other than cosmetics?

Comment

I'd vote for the G36! My friend has a Classic Army version, and it's damn sexy. Nice ROF, and looks great.

Besides, every other "funk-er" has a M4!

Comment

the only thing worth changing on a TM is getting the spring upgraded for a higher FPS (depending on your site)

TM generally have a low fps due to restrictions in japan - however their phenomenal hop ups give them better range than the majority of guns

no point getting a TM for reliablity then changing all the internals for something else

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                          Besides, every other "funk-er" has a M4!
                          Which is the reason I sway back :P

I totally understand, shadowcaptain. I was just wondering if there was anything

Is changing the spring a big job? I believe the site limit is ~340fps

Comment

its not a BIG job - but if you have never opened a gun up i wouldnt reccomend it

if you are getting the gun new shops like zeroone have a cheap upgrade option - just tell them what FPS you want and they will ship it with the appropriate spring

the tm famas is also meant to be a great gun - its creaky and plasticy but ive heard of people owning them for 6 or 7 years without anything going wrong

Comment

Change of spring involves opening up the gearbox. If you don't fiddle with the other parts, and read a guide on how to open it (ie, so the spring don't shoot back and knocks all the gears out of place.) Then it's not too bad a job.

Too be honest though, I'm unclear what a FPS gain achieves - apart from shots hurt more. The range is in the hop up, and the accuracy is in the barrel. So keeping it standard might be a good move.

I've upgraded my MP5 tonnes, but at the end of the day it's caused me so much hassle. Cost in total 3x a new TM one, and is it 3x better.... probably not!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X