Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After spray painting

Evening folks,

Just wondering if theres anything I can put on my gun after it's been painted to stop scratches ect..

I was told hair spray does something to that effect...

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Re: After spray painting

matte varnish
    |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

I sprayed matte clear laquer over mine. Did the job briliantly

Comment

Would shoe protector do the same? It's essentially doing the same job I suppose...

Comment

if i were you i would stop being so cheap hahaha

and just buy some proper stuff designed for use on metal and plastic, no point risking ruining your paint job by using the wrong varnish
          |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Shoe protector is meant for suede/leather. Use proper stuff if i were you. Nothing like doing a good paintjob then ruining it with a shoddy finish. The spray i had was £5 something delivered E*A*

Comment

Ok cheers guys.

Comment

You could just leave it unfinished and get some sexy wear on it.

Comment

Having a vision of an AEG in a thong

Comment

you probably saw my original paintjob on my AUG in the pictures thread. Thanks to trying to be cheap with the finish (i bought some £4 clear sealant crap in a spray can) i eneded up with oozing paint and a ruined paintjob. Wish id spent the extra couple of quid on some proper matte varnish and done it properly, which s how i did it this time around, works a treat, and you dont even have to get a spray type, you can easily get tit in small tins cheaply (ish) from hardware stores

Please see this thread, as well as iTrader, for trader feedback!

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26651

Comment

What's the difference between a matt and a matte varnish?

My feed back
                      http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9280

Comment

Think The Varnsih One is Shinny Maybe wrong though ?
                        To the man who would be king, I will say only one thing

Comment

matt and matte are the same from what I can see...
                          matt gives you a shine-less finish. It will take most of the shine away from whatever you have put it on.
                          Gloss varnish is shiny... it adds shine to whatever you put it on.
                          Satin varnish is is neither shiny or not really, it retains the shine of the original color.

Personally, I would not use laquer ... it tends to be thicker, and more prone to chipping off in chunks... Most also discolor with age. Buy some varnish from an art shop, preferable in an aerosol. This gives good coverage and no streaks. Matt or Satin are the best choice depending on what finish you want. Anyone who sprays a gun with gloss varnish, frankly should be shot (with it).

Comment

Make sure you check that the varnish you buy is compatible with the paint you are putting it over (try it on a spare bit of plastic/metal first). When I painted my F2000, the finish was lovely and smooth, with a good matt finish, but the matt varnish left an orange peel effect and actually looks quite shiny. Not too bad on a gun that's plastic in real life, but it would be a real bitch on, say, an M4.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry, the typing in my previous post was when i was tired...
                              Ok yes so matte and matt are the same thing just 2 different spellings (both correct)

Spray vs Tin

Sprays are easier to apply. They tend to be a bit more expensive, and can either melt the previous paint layers (because of incompatability, this is what happened to mine) or leave an "orange peel" finish, which is sort of dimpled and wierd. Or, if all goes well, they leave a really smooth, well applied and not too thick finish. If you try it out on a similar material to your gun, that has been sprayed in the same way, and it works, then spray would be the way to go.

Tins tend to be more reliable. you dont want a laquer as already stated, these can often flake or go yellowy over time. Your loking for clear, matt, sealant varnish. This is slightly elastic once dry, meaning it absorbs shocks rather than cracking. Can be difficult to apply because a thin coat is needed, and depending on the varnish bought, this can be difficult to do without leaving brush marks. If you have the time and are prepared to put in the effort for the best possible finish, this would be what i reccomend, but can go just as wrong as a spray. Plus, if you do happen to make a mistake, its a whole lot harder to rectify using this method. Tends to be a bit cheaper than spray as well, plus easier to find.

Overall, try and use the same brand of products as the spray you used, for example krylon spray paint, try and get a jrylon sealant. Failing that, duracoat is always good, just avoid "plasticote" sprays like the plague, their frankly terrible.

Please see this thread, as well as iTrader, for trader feedback!

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26651

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                              Working...
                              X