After spray painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After spray painting

I've only ever had good experience with Plastikote Projekt Pack paint... It comes in a decent range of colours, both matte and gloss and often has an inbuilt primer.

To paint anything, firstly, you need a good surface for the paint to adhere to.

Something that is spotless glean, degreased and preferably has a slight "key" to it.

You can do this by lightly rubbing the entire area to be painted with a fine grade wet and dry paper. One everywhere has been sanded, wash the item with a mild detergent and water mix. Make sure it's thoroughly dry afterwards.

To paint, you need a decent ventilated space where you can leave the paint to dry undisturbed for as long as needed.

If your gun or item is metallic, or you want an uber durable finish, use a primer. If it's temporary or you like the look of a bit of wear, skip the primer.

Spray on a day that's not too hot or humid, and spray with a smooth, side to side motion from 30-40cm... Avoid pooling the paint and keep the can moving smoothly.

If you get a run, let it dry, sand it down and spray over again.

If the paint comes out clumpy, grainy or dusty, you're spraying too far away or when it's too hot.

If the paint is overly glossy, thin or runs, you are spraying from too close or didn't shake the can enough.

With varnish, gloss will be more durable but matt will be better camouflaged. Spray in much the same way as paint, but pay very close attention to the can movement and distance from the object. Build the varnish up in a couple of thin coats as opposed to a thick one. Again, if you get a run, let it dry then get the sandpaper out.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Could somebody pm me a link to a suitable one (from experience) as i am looking and get confused about what is best for a normal abs/plastic stock that has been kryloned. Also the quality must differ with makes. I am confused :D

I don't want to get the wrong thing and damage the paint so it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
      Old Feedback: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9500-TaylorB

Comment

Originally posted by Taylorb View Post
        Could somebody pm me a link to a suitable one (from experience) as i am looking and get confused about what is best for a normal abs/plastic stock that has been kryloned. Also the quality must differ with makes. I am confused :D

I don't want to get the wrong thing and damage the paint so it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
        If the paint has set hard, you should be fine with almost any matt varnish. The Halfords one is a decent price for a large can, just make sure you spray it on in multiple light coats.

Unless you are using waterbased paint or something based on polystyrene plastic, you should be fine, it's just a varnish or lacquer coat is tough to spray well.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcaptain View Post
          matte varnish
          this would be the best thing if it is a metal or plastic gun then yes if a wood one like my kar98 then a good varnish but go to hobby craft and get a matt coating for it i think it is in the modlling section about £7 ?:D

Comment

me i would use this stuff in a airbrush

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-i...ine-500ml.html

and then add some Tamiya Flat Base

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
            Working...
            X