Very Specific: Glock vs 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Specific: Glock vs 1911

Im thinking of running a pistols only approach, and having had past experience of an m1911 meu, i really like the feel of them. However, i also like the feel of glocks, particularly the "full size" models such as the 17 and 18. So heres my dilemma. Do i go for a Glock 17, Glock 18, or 1911 (this would pretty much have to be MEU, as i hate the fandangled ones with hi-cappa slides, i detest hi-cappas themselves, and i find the ambi-safety extremely useful). I understand most people will say, whatever feels best to you, but personally, i have no overall preference. Whilst i prefer the slimmer grip of the 1911, i prefer the 'chunkiness' of the glock slide. Im going to outline the pros and cons for each of the 3 above, and would really appreciate it if you could add any more, as well as telling me your preference on the matter. All of the pistols would be upgraded with a TBB, and would, of course, be TM. Other than this completely stock. So, without further ado:

M1911:

Pros:

Nice weight
    Purrty
    Good accuracy
    Reliable
    Simple to use (no fancy safeties or fire selectors)
    Easily Upgradeable

Cons:

low gas capacity
    mags very expensive
    more expensive initial purchase
    no easy method for adding 'attachments'
    Not overly keen on novak or standard iron sights

Glock 17:

Pros:

higher gas capacity
    more 'ergonomic'
    Nice iron sights (especially night sights as standard)
    easier to accesorise due to the rail
    again, very accurate
    cheaper initial cost

Cons:

silly trigger safety - not overly keen
    very generic, every man and his dog has a glock these days
    heavier
    funny downward slant of iron sights

Glock 18:

Pros:

Full auto capability, obviously!

Cons:

Ugly selector leaver and top slide, dont often use auto

So guys, considering this will be becoming a primary weapon, which one would YOU go for, and why?
    Glock 17
    17.92%
    1911 MEU
    43.40%
    Glock 18c
    22.64%
    Other
    16.04%

Please see this thread, as well as iTrader, for trader feedback!

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26651

Re: Very Specific: Glock vs 1911

And time to nit pick out of this all of my contributions in bold

M1911:

Pros:

Nice weight - that depends on the pistol, glocks can have a nice weight
    Purrty
    Good accuracy - not because its a 1911, be like putting TM vs *insert worse make here*
    Reliable - again..what? how is it more reliable than any other gas pistol so again..the make
    Simple to use (no fancy safeties or fire selectors)
    Easily Upgradeable - depends on the make!

Cons:

low gas capacity - true in some cases, KWC system 7 i get 3 bbs full in good conditions before re gassing

mags very expensive - not true again depends on make! and most gas mags anyway are expensive
    more expensive initial purchase - not true! thats down to you n the shop
    no easy method for adding 'attachments' - why would you? but again not true! IPSC it if you must
    Not overly keen on novak or standard iron sights - change as you wish?

Glock 17:

Pros:

higher gas capacity - because of double stack magazine? hi capa, sig, deagle etc all the same

more 'ergonomic' - people say 1911's are more ergonomic i personally do also
    Nice iron sights (especially night sights as standard)
    easier to accesorise due to the rail - not really..a light..a laser, down to you
    again, very accurate - nope again..make and confines of whats in the gun, pistols dont come with 6.01 barrels
    cheaper initial cost - again not true depends on shop, the make etc

Comment

1911 hands down. It's a lot better looking and ergonomically it's perfect. I wouldn't trade any gun for my Kimber.

Comment

Seems like an obvious case of TL;DR of the introduction to my post purcy :p I stated all pistols would be TM and have tightbores fitted, and other than that be standard. And by reliability with regard to the 1911, i meant as in i know much more intimately how it works internally. The reason i wouldnt want a SIG, Deagle or Hi-Cappa is simply beacuse they're ugly, in my opinion. Im going to be putting as much love into this one as most people do into their primaries, if not more.

The fact that all would be TM based and have tightbores should clear up some of your issues. Things i really need to know: Is there much of a difference in range between the two, assuming fair test conditions? What about accuracy?

Please see this thread, as well as iTrader, for trader feedback!

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26651

Comment

well i was about to edit it but the 10 minutes just struck so i cant

deeeerp! my bad bro. but some of my points still stand..just some lol

Comment

bit of a mind fart purcy? ive had a tm g17, ksc g19 g26 g18c and a tm meu, and my favourite is by far the meu, nicer feel to it and all round a good performer, the ksc ones where rubbish and always breaking, but the tm ones have been pretty good, one thing i will say is though is that the tm meu piston head is a pos so replace it with a pdi winter piston head
            PM me if you're looking for S-ARMS M4 mags

Comment

If you want to accessorize defonately go 1911, if you wNt lights or lasers consider the Night Warrior instead of the MEU.
              The laptop is mightier than the pistol.

Comment

I have all the pistols and I vote for glock true I find them more ergonomic and the bigger gas reservoir ... Saves lives!!
                I have TM and WA 1911 all I can say these are very beautiful and you can find all sorts of slides/frames for them but if you try to rapid fire them then you won't be able to empty entire the magazine!!
                As for a rail you can get the TM Hi Capa and have rails plus this pistol has the looks if 1911 without the cons!!

Wolf

Asahi WA2000
                WTB Piper Minigun

Comment

I bought a KJW 1911 Sold it to buy a TM 5-7.
                  Missed it terribly, bought another KJW 1911
                  Traded a KJW M9 in for my old KJW 1911 a day after my new one arrived.

BUY 2 1911's it rocks.

The most comfortable pistol i have held ever,and it just points like a dream

As for the Magazine size problems (not that i have one) If you get a TM compatible gun (KJW, BELL, TERCELL,TM(derr)) then you can find the mags for about £10 each plus a bit of postage. so you can have 2-3 times the amount of mags for the price of a new one.

Comment

I personally think the 1911 fits in the hand better than a glock, I owned a we1911 and a Tm MEU, they are very comfortable to hold and holster.

Glocks aren't a bad gun, I wouldnt go for a KWA/KSC 18c though, maybe the TM 18C would be a better option?

If you are having a pistols only approach then why not have 3-4 pistols?

You can holster 4 Quite easily. I've carried 5 pistols and an assault rifle! So why not have a selection?
                    You Know When You've Been Deagled!

Comment

1911 wins on aesthetics and the comfortable hold.

As far as the OP goes in terms of range/accuracy: Surely if you put PDI 6.01mm barrels in a TM MEU and a TM G17 and some fancy doo-whacky of a hop rubber in to-boot, you'd get comparable results?

Comment

Can't do much better than an MEU :D
                        Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                        big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

mate i had a glock 17 and 18c now have a tm 1911 a1 much better in my eyes great range and good fps
                          hope that helps
                          gibo

Comment

Glock 18C... All the strengths, none of the weaknesses.

Unless I was going for a specific loadout, there's no reason to choose anything else.

Comment

Meu.
                              I have one and its a BEAST!
                              Lady Astor (first woman MP in the House of Commons): "Mr Churchill, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea."
                              Winston (getting unsteadily to his feet): "Madam, if I were your husband ... I'd drink it."

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Dom S just finished school to end up in some crappy shop job Find out more about Dom S
                              Working...
                              X