Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Do's and Don'ts of Airsoft brands

Hey guys,

I've just got hooked on the sport, and in the next couple of months I will be looking at getting some new kit, and replacing current cheapo stuff that i got in quick in time for my first airsoft day.

Basically, looking to get an idea of makes to look out for, and what makes to avoid.

When it comes to guns, for now, I won't be looking at buying anything brand new, and my budget for guns wont be above £150-200.

When it comes to kit, I already have some camo trousers, a camo shirt from ebay store military first, a webtex woodland vest and a black viper vest.

I will eventually want to replace the vests with something better, and then some sort of two way radio, as the £40 argos ones just arent cutting it!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Re: The Do's and Don'ts of Airsoft brands

avoid WELL and Both Elephant (BE) except UMP 45, for some unknown reason their only quality gun , thats a good start and UTG which is also known as Leapers, but their kit accessories are ok ish
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

'Buy cheap, buy twice' is the general guideline but some cheap guns (JG G36 etc) do go on and on.

Comment

Another good piece of advice would be 'its Airsoft, do you really need a £300 vest that'll serve you well in Iraq?'.

Comment

Originally posted by psirus101 View Post
          Another good piece of advice would be 'its Airsoft, do you really need a £300 vest that'll serve you well in Iraq?'.
          Haha... I like
          G&P L119A1 classic look ASCU / G&P L119A1 modern look / WE CO2 1911 / DBoys Kar98 / S&S Lee Enfield SMLE

Comment

go for well known names gets a molle vest off the bay of e and other stuff that has a known name for being ok or brilliant and if you have the money and you dont mind spending it go for the decent stuff
            Main arm
            M4 G+P.
            MP5 with silencer

Side arms
            Full Sig marked P226 GBB

Comment

Originally posted by psirus101 View Post
              if it didnt cost to get it then yeah y not. as i got most of my stuff issued its free to change it when it gets trashed so like i said if its issued kit or you know someone in the forces that wouldnt mind doing it for you its ok i suppose
              Main arm
              M4 G+P.
              MP5 with silencer

Side arms
              Full Sig marked P226 GBB

Comment

Yeah, you joke now, but wait till Iraq invades us, then those vests will pay for themselves...

Anyway, back on topic:

Buying new and buying second hand are two different things, since you might get a quality 'branded' gun that has absolutley been wrecked by its previous owner. Them's the risks. If you're buying new however (and that would be from Zero One, the UK's only airsoft retailer, of course) then consider this flow diagram of quality control:

JAPAN
                I
                TAIWAN
                I
                CHINA

Japanese made guns have good quality control and performance, but you pay for it. Taiwanese made guns have lesser quality but are generally (in most people's experience) almost as good. Chinese guns have a lack of quality control and as a result are 'hit and miss;' you may get something great that lasts, but you may get something that just falls apart on day one and has no warranty. A lot of Chinese stuff is now getting better though, especially if it's run through Hong Kong.

Here's some help (that will no doubt be added to/debated over by others):

Top Brands that should be good performers 'out of the box:'

Systema (though they're extrenely expensive)
                Tokyo Marui or 'TM' (best all rounder - Japanese)
                KSC (mainly for pistols)
                G&G (top Taiwanese firm)
                Western Arms or 'WA' (expensive, more collector-orientated Japanese firm)
                Maruzen (expensive, more collector-orientated Japanese firm)
                Tanaka (expensive, more collector-orientated Japanese firm)

Cheaper brands that still perform well (if you get a good one):

A&K
                Cyma
                SRC
                KWA
                WE
                102nd Chairborne Rangers - "Intelluctus VCRAus recte"

Keyboard Commando - "He who argues until the other person gives up and goes away wins"

Comment

To be honest there are very few "bad" companies out there these days. Even the brands which used to be a bit dodgy are bringing out good kit.

The best bet for your would be to pick the model of weapon you interested in, then ask the forum which is the best brand you can buy for that model on your budget.

Comment

For the budget you've set on your AEG you could get something fairly decent new. For instance A G&G GR15 raider, Ive just bought one and used it at The Mall last sunday, I was very impressed! I only bought it as a back-up its now my full time CQB gun. As for chest rigs, plenty sell on this very forum, at decent prices. But I agree with PSIRUS101 no need for Ultra expensive rigs, its not like it needs to stop a bullet!
                    sigpic If you sell, buy or trade with me please remeber to leave feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post

KSC (mainly for pistols)
                      G&G (top Taiwanese firm)

A&K
                      Cyma
                      SRC
                      KWA
                      WE
                      You forgot G&P.
                      sigpic
                      View iTrader Rating Here
                      Looking for Kjw KC-02 Parts(Ra-tech, Kjw, etc..) PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                        Yeah, you joke now, but wait till Iraq invades us, then those vests will pay for themselves...

Anyway, back on topic:

Buying new and buying second hand are two different things, since you might get a quality 'branded' gun that has absolutley been wrecked by its previous owner. Them's the risks. If you're buying new however (and that would be from Zero One, the UK's only airsoft retailer, of course) then consider this flow diagram of quality control:

JAPAN
                        I
                        TAIWAN
                        I
                        CHINA

Japanese made guns have good quality control and performance, but you pay for it. Taiwanese made guns have lesser quality but are generally (in most people's experience) almost as good. Chinese guns have a lack of quality control and as a result are 'hit and miss;' you may get something great that lasts, but you may get something that just falls apart on day one and has no warranty. A lot of Chinese stuff is now getting better though, especially if it's run through Hong Kong.

KSC (mainly for pistols)
                        G&G (top Taiwanese firm)

A&K
                        Cyma
                        SRC
                        KWA
                        WE

To add onto this, some of the higher brands that generally give good quality guns are G&P and sometimes ARES, although with ARES they can sometimes be a tad overpriced for what they are.

However with G&P, you pay for the quality and it's definitely worth it. Plus with certain G&Ps they can be as expensive as a G&G or even cheaper than certain overpriced chinasoft, such as the G&P EOD, but you still get the fantastic quality building of it.

Comment

and u forgot ICS

Comment

When it comes to AEG's I will forgo my standard reply of TM P90 because it's perfect And suggest the Classic Army MP5 B&T Metal body version.

I regret selling mine and despite the fact I am not a big MP5 fan that gun was Blooming Marvelous. I know other people that have had them and I have never heard anything bad about that model. It's great for CQB and more than capable in woodland games. Parts are easy to get and mags battery's etc are cheap and dead easy to find.

A piece of more general advice for buying used is to buy a stock gun that has not been modified. Lots of people spend allot of money on upgrades for their guns only to find the guns shoot worse than before people started messing with them, and then they sell them on the forums to newbies for inflated prices trying to get there ill spent money back.

I am afraid that Kit is a very personal thing and there are to many variables so go with the best you can afford and black Tac goes with almost everything.

P.S The Tokyo Marui is Perfect! :D

Comment

In my experience (i.e. this is not an exhaustive list, because I haven't tried every brand), these would be the weapon manufacturers to primarily go for, they'll all be commonly available at various retailers:
                              -TM
                              -G&P
                              -ICS
                              -SRC (Gen 2 at least, preferably 3)
                              -G&G
                              -King Arms

Avoid:
                              -APS (just, really... horrific)
                              -Some STAR/ARES (general reviews of their internals are fairly poor for quite a few models, I've read some real horror stories about a couple of their guns, some are fine but you'd need to specifically check and prices aren't the best)
                              -Classic Army 'Sportlines' (you'd be better off with a CYMA or JG)

As for gear, Viper and Web-Tex are obviously extremely common, most seem to get along ok with their stuff but if you can afford it I'd go a step up, purely for the fact that other brands do better designs of anything.

Good kit:
                              -Warrior Assault Systems
                              -G1098
                              -BULLE
                              -Pantac
                              -Flyye
                              -Blackhawk
                              -Tactical Tailor
                              REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chrisseh Newbie Softer Find out more about Chrisseh
                              Working...
                              X