X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UKARA and trading laws?

"the code... it's more like... guidelines"

ok i'll have to agree...for now..!
    It is just another problem airsoft has with regulations... the game's run on honour in almost every aspect- not just taking hits.

anyway, back to asker- if my evidence has just been disproved, it's obvs illegal to "re-classify" it for the sake of a sale, so call in the bobby! :p
    sigpic

Comment

The thing the person in question(seller) needs bto be wary of is the fact its a full auto weapon. As Robin says '' a class 5 firearm''. Now, they could however sell a TM VSR, legally as an air rifle, as its a bolty and not capable of full auto. They only time they couldnt sell it to someone over 18, is its power exceeds 12ft/lb and then becomes a firearm, which youd need a Firearms certificate for.
      Originally posted by Artekus
      It looks like I'll need to brush up on my fieldcraft/untutored thrashing about in the undergrowth

Comment

Arent power limits in law limited to "air rifles"
        No matter how much fps your "airsoft" "rif" puts out it can never be classed as a firearm/air rifle on this basis because there is no hard and fast law on how powerful they can or cant be just guidelines, where as on air rifles there is and there is also a point that an air rifle becomes a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
          As far as I can see, there is no legally defined limit in the UK for airsoft weapons. 1J / 1.35J whatever is self-imposed by sites.

http://www.ukairsoftzone.co.uk/forum...-on-lethality/

Originally posted by tisane View Post
          Arent power limits in law limited to "air rifles"
          No matter how much fps your "airsoft" "rif" puts out it can never be classed as a firearm/air rifle on this basis because there is no hard and fast law on how powerful they can or cant be just guidelines, where as on air rifles there is and there is also a point that an air rifle becomes a firearm.

The firearms act sets a maximum power, but not a minimum one. However, the official position of both the home office and the association of chief police officers is that any weapon firing at in excess of 1J may be treated as a firearm (remember that an air weapon is a firearm under the firearms act, just one that doesn't need a licence).

Ref: Guide To The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 - ACPO and The British Association for Shooting and Conservation. Available from local police firearms licencing departments, ACPO and BASC.
          sigpic

Comment

Just to be pedantic: What if an Airgun was faulty and only firing at 0.5 Joule energy. Would it still be an airgun, or has it become a RIF because it is less than the 1J (or 1.35J) limit for it to be classed as a 'Low powered firearm'?

The problem with the airsoft exeption from the VCRA is that it is full of loop-holes and it would be nice if the AOBA could get onto this and maybe produce a document to present to the Home Office - produced by people who know what they are talking about rather than 'Suits in Offices' that have no actual knowledge?
            JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

the upper limit limit for air guns is 12ft/lb (without a firearms certificate)

There is no low limit

An air rifle that fires at 1 ft/lb is still an air rifle and is NOT a RIF

A broken air rifle that cant fire is still an air rifle

Comment

Good idea, the government of the day ,make stupid laws that dont make sense, do nothing to control crime, inhibit us in our hobby, turn airsoft users into potential criminals for the minest possible infraction of these stupid laws and what do you do, lets grass up a dealer who is just trying to earn a living. You call these loopholes, they shouldnt be there then the government of the day should do something about it, like scrapping the stupid farcical law. Yes you all say, It is the law and we must obey!!! What like the fox hunters on horseback do?. One law for them and one for us. If there are loopholes and they benefit us then use them, dont help the government make things harder for us by grassing other fellow shooters for goodness sake. The way to protect your sport is not necessarily to report others for minor infringements. If the loopholes are there use them. I do skirmish with my friends, I am not a member of a club or go to a skirmish site, I play on my own property for crying out loud, I dont always skirmish, what about IPAS or Practical pistol what is wrong with that? How are they going to show if a gun was sold as a two tone or not, these things arnt even serial numbered. When was it bought, from whom, as a RIF or not ???? when was it manufactured before VCR or after. They should be made to see the law as it is and scrap it. It serves no useful purpose and is so full of loopholes it leaks like a sieve.

Comment

schony, the law was written on the understanding that the sport will be self-policing. If we are seen to brush illegal activity under the carpet, then the government will come along and slap even more regulations and laws on us.

The only way we can continue is to name and shame anyone seen breaking the law. You don't play at regular sites, so you've got no reason to care what happens to the rest of us, but don't f*** it up for all the players who spend thousands of pounds playing the game seriously.
                  sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Krow Names Ky. aka Krow. I'm twenty something and I love guns! Find out more about Krow
                  Working...
                  X