Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Does a membership at a site count as a valid defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does a membership at a site count as a valid defense?

Yeah bro, ANARCHY ANARCHY.....

I always thought that junior membership lark was a bit wiffy.

Comment

I'm personally totally against the xsite junior membership purchase scheme and Tim is aware of this from the PMs we've exchanged.

I do agree with his view on manufacturing/converting though and in the past that has been the general consensus here too.
      sigpic

Comment

Copied from Hunters post in the above thread I linked:

Just an update for those interested, latest from UKARA on the subject o under 18 RIF manufacture;

This affair is being looked into already.
        As far as UKARA is concerned unless the Home Office change their mind under 18s cannot manufacture or purchase RiFs.

Best Regards

UKARA Admin

-------- Original Message --------
        Subject: RE: UKARA Contact: Under 18 airsofters
        Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 21:47:15 +0000
        To: <[email protected]>

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 21:02:32 +0000
        To: [email protected]
        Subject: Re: UKARA Contact: Under 18 airsofters

On 25/12/11 18:36, [email protected] wrote:
        The following email was submitted from the UKARA contact form:

Name: XXXXXXXXXX
        Email: [email protected]

Is it legal for under 18 airsofter\'s who have been gifted a 2 tone IF to respray it black thus manufacturing a RIF?

IP: 86.15.53.79

No

So I assume it would interest you to know that the Xsite do a junior (under 18) memebership that they feel gives under 18 skirmishers the right to manufacture a RIF?
        http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...sent-items*see the posts by "johnny lovegrove" in this otherwise unrelated thread.

Comment

SB, I did read that mate, but thanks for posting it as it saves people time in going backwards a forwards.

My simple question is this: What right do UKARA believe they have to decide what the law is? According to them, you must play a minimum of 3 games etc etc etc to legally buy a RIF, yet this isn't a requirement anywhere in the legislation, it's simply the definition they decided to apply to protect their members by playing on the safe side where the definition of a regular player (which, IIRC isn't actually a requirement in itself in the legislation) is concerned.

They make up the rules and then tell everyone that they are the only ones who know what is right and what is wrong.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caveira View Post
            Firstly, UKARA have got 100% f-all to do with this. They are there to protect the interests of the retailers and not that of the players. It is in their members interests to suggest that this is illegal.

Secondly, the home office can say what they want but at the end of the day all they can do is issue guidance on what they believe the law to mean. The courts are the ones who interpret the legislation and unless someone can find a reference to under-18s in relation to anything other than purchasing I'll continue to hold my position until either a) parliament amends the regulations or b) a judge sets precedent saying otherwise.

Finally, I think the thread that you might be refering to was the one about the xsite under-18 sales scheme. That was about adults purchasing on behalf of under-18 players and nothing to do with modification. If that's not the thread the appologies.
            i was only only stating what thread id seen it in,i wasnt the one emailing.
            and it was also another thread were jl opened a paypal account.
            sigpic
            Originally Posted by Boo-Sabum Ben
            Last helmet I tried was a perfect circle, and pressed hard against the front and back, but could happily fit all my fingers up the sides...

Comment

SB, I did read that mate, but thanks for posting it as it saves people time in going backwards a forwards.

My simple question is this: What right do UKARA believe they have to decide what the law is? According to them, you must play a minimum of 3 games etc etc etc to legally buy a RIF, yet this isn't a requirement anywhere in the legislation, it's simply the definition they decided to apply to protect their members by playing on the safe side where the definition of a regular player (which, IIRC isn't actually a requirement in itself in the legislation) is concerned.

They make up the rules and then tell everyone that they are the only ones who know what is right and what is wrong.
              Aye was just posting so other's can see. It makes little difference what legislation say's really people who buy two tones will if they chose to paint them black any way!

Comment

So to make it clear, the Law says you need a defence and UKARA makes it easier to have a defence?
                "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Nope UKARA doesn't make it easier to have a defense, just purchase RIFs from certain stores that don't accept site membership. Your site membership is your defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam-Beta View Post
                    Nope UKARA doesn't make it easier to have a defense, just purchase RIFs from certain stores that don't accept site membership. Your site membership is your defense.
                    It makes it easier to use your defence, worded poorly but you get the jist of things...
                    Last edited by Christo; 7 January, 2012, 23:32.
                    "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists .. I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work — for example a lawn mower." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Ah I get ya now aye it does.

Comment

You get the defence by playing.

Site membership gives you the easiest proof of this defence.

UKARA makes it easy to use this membership.
                        sigpic

Comment

You get the defence by playing.

Site membership gives you the easiest proof of this defence.

UKARA makes it easy to use this membership.
                          Helpful as ever, cheers.

Comment

It was dictated by the home office that as part of VCRA they wanted something doing, a group of retailers got together and set the UKARA up to which the home office were happy.
                            UKARA have no legal powers at all, but the home office does.
                            section 24 of the 1968 Act
                            Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                            1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                            2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew March View Post
                              The VCRA includes restriction on the manufacture, modification and selling of IF's and RIF's

Copied from the VCRA:

36Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms(1)A person is guilty of an offence if—
                              (a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
                              (b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;
                              (c)he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
                              (d)he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

Simple answer, NO you cannot spray a 2 tone!
                              But you missed out the whole of the UKSI that gives airsoft players a defence. A defence which is not age-dependent, and covers the WHOLE of section 36 of the VCRA.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Originally posted by Sam-Beta View Post
                              Copied from Hunters post in the above thread I linked:

Just an update for those interested, latest from UKARA on the subject o under 18 RIF manufacture;

This affair is being looked into already.
                              As far as UKARA is concerned unless the Home Office change their mind under 18s cannot manufacture or purchase RiFs.

Best Regards

UKARA Admin

-------- Original Message --------
                              Subject: RE: UKARA Contact: Under 18 airsofters
                              Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 21:47:15 +0000
                              To: <[email protected]>

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 21:02:32 +0000
                              To: [email protected]
                              Subject: Re: UKARA Contact: Under 18 airsofters

On 25/12/11 18:36, [email protected] wrote:
                              The following email was submitted from the UKARA contact form:

Name: XXXXXXXXXX
                              Email: [email protected]

Is it legal for under 18 airsofter\'s who have been gifted a 2 tone IF to respray it black thus manufacturing a RIF?

IP: 86.15.53.79

No

So I assume it would interest you to know that the Xsite do a junior (under 18) memebership that they feel gives under 18 skirmishers the right to manufacture a RIF?
                              http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...sent-items*see the posts by "johnny lovegrove" in this otherwise unrelated thread.
                              FAIL!
                              Spraying a 2-tone is NOT manufacturing under Section 36(1)(a), it's modifying an IF to become a RIF under Section 36(1)(b).
                              And the fact they didn't pick up on that kind of gives you an idea about the quality of the advice...

As others have said, no matter what the Home Office advice says, the VCRA only limits age in regards to the buyer of the IF/RIF.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                                It was dictated by the home office that as part of VCRA they wanted something doing, a group of retailers got together and set the UKARA up to which the home office were happy.
                                UKARA have no legal powers at all, but the home office does.
                                What I'm saying is that the home office simply stated that the ABA were going to put in place a scheme that sounded like the one that UKARA implemented. It isn't in any of the acts or regulations, only the statement in the implementation notes about the ABA scheme. As we all know, the ABA never got off the ground and UKARA picked up the ball and ran with it. But the implementation notes don't say that this is the requirement, they simply give the example of the ABA scheme as what might be put into place.

The exact wording is:

For airsoft skirmishing, the Association of British Airsoft is
                                putting in place arrangements to allow retailers to check that individual
                                purchasers are members of a genuine skirmishing club or site. The key
                                elements of these arrangements are:

new players must play at least 3 times in the 2 months before being
                                offered membership;

membership cards with a photograph and recognised format will be
                                issued for production to retailers;

a central database will be set up for retailers to cross-check a
                                purchaser’s details; and

a member’s entry on the database will be deleted if unused for 12
                                months.

Basically, there is no legal definition yet of who qualifies. That will only come when either new regs are passed in parliament defining a skirmisher, or there's precedent from a court case. Even then, decades of precedent can be overturned by a bolshy judge!
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

PB107 Find out more about PB107
                                Working...
                                X