Corporal syndrome - A rant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corporal syndrome - A rant.

I did this a bit at the last game.. were a lot of newbies too scared to come forward towards the church (or.. shed painted grey lol) and theres me running forward with my new MP5 charging in again and again trying to get through the graveyard and storm the church.
    I did keep shouting 'move up move up' and the only guy giving me suppressing fire was a more experienced guy with a G36.

That kind of encouragement I think is fine, and I didnt get annoyed or actually shout, I think the guys who get properly angry at people who arent pushing forward or whatever should try and be more upbeat in encouraging them and chill out a bit!

The ones who really get on my nerves are the ones who get REALLY annoyed if you do something wrong, or friendly fire them by accident.
    Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
      tell you what amuses me....i was at AWA Romford last time around,i noticed a pattern of play amongst a fair amount of skirmishers which is, cover fire badly,and dont push up its like a bunch of rabbits caught in the headlights, its funny when you have an objective for example to clear an area but your team of 8 is bogged down along a corridor by two concealed opponents....the team will take good cover and put down a lot of supressing fire,but its pointless, because they are not hitting anybody,coz they are not close enough and not gaining any ground,i.e supress and move, cos they are too scared of getting hit or too lazy to go back to the regen point if they do get hit....this can go on for as long as they like, its a bit silly when you move to a forward point, in order to supply cover to the team so that they can take out the oppostion, only to look behind and see that they are still in their cozy postions, hiding behind the door frames emptying mags in the opponents general direction...they look the business all kitted up and armed to the teeth...but is it just to pose in?,because they could do that at home in front of the mirror lol
      I have to say i hate this. I run alot at airsoft (ask the treadstone guys, if theres ever a charge, im normally leading it), and nothing frustates me more than when you are either clear to move up, covered, or in no danger at all, and those who have the ability to advance dont. I remember once being at Urban assault and charging up and down a corridor, charging, getting hit, then regen, repeat. Every time id call for people to advance and follow me, pushing up behind the wall of fire i was providing, and everyone just sat in thier hidey holes. Grrr!

When i play at a site i know, i have to say, if no one else is, i will take command. I wont be forcefull, but i will try and get some group awareness or tactics. I remember once being with a group of rentals, just giving them some basic orders and leadership meant we actually advanced a fair way and made it all the way to our objective (Very simple- Cover each others in pairs, move cover to cover, cover your partner as he moves)
      G&G TR15 Raider XL, CA G36K, G&G MP5A4, Cyma Thompson, APS AKS-74U, Custom TM Uzi, DE M56, WE Nighthawk X2, Cyma Glock 18C
      RD Customs MG42, The Bone Cannon And Project Balderdash.

If you aren't laughing, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

[word vomit]

I think, if I were to expand on the OP, I'd say this:

There's a difference between 'Corporal Syndrome' and 'Drill-Sergeant Syndrome'. Corporal syndrome is yelling out contacts, asking for people to push a flank, encouraging pro-active attacks etc.

Drill-Sergeant Syndrome is screaming at people, and being a dick about the whole thing.

I play as a 'Corporal'. I was asked to be part of the command structure, so I play command. I try to keep the firefights flowing, and get people to where they need to be to stay in the game. I'd rather be doing that, and helping people have a good game, than have no-one motivating and organising, leading to less fun over-all.

I think it comes down to the fact that, if you're new, you'd probably appreciate some guidance from someone who is trying to help you. If you're an experienced player, you don't need the guidance, and it might seem like some dick is shouting at everyone because he likes the sound of his own voice. That's personal opinion, as when I hear someone vocally encouraging an attack or defence, I quite like hearing someone try to make the game more enjoyable, and keep their team alive so they can keep enjoying it.

[/word vomit]
        www.dartmoorrangers.co.uk
        Everyone goes on about how inspiring the story of Anne Frank is, but when I keep a little jewish girl in my attic suddenly THATS NOT OK?

Comment

Btw, I wasn't using "Corporal" specifically as the rank role, simply figuratively!

Comment

Loads of you are missing the point entirely here.

What Owain was trying to say was that he doesn't like it when people take command of kids and ruin thier day by ordering them waht to do in an aggressive manner.

The more experienced ones of us will of course have a more active role when contributing to tactical decisions but dont come out with this crap like 'Some people were born to lead' No, some people were born to want to have power trips on a Sunday.

Owain is not saying that this person in command was doing a good job, he is saying he was ordering kids around when it wasnt needed, at every ground zero game the marshall points out that you cant go round ordering kids what to do.

Comment

I would say that Owain is missing his own point. The way the first post was worded came across as 'everyone who does this is an ass.

Read the OP again, and then realise that he makes no distinction between the 'Corporal' and the 'Drill-Sergeant' type people from my post above. Basically he says anyone doing command type stuff needs to chill out and not do it, because it's a game.

I personally disagreed with his post/rant, and gave my reasons why. He meant to point out that those people who act a dick while doing command ('Drill-Sergeants'), should realise that they're not going about it the right way. I think he's right. However, his post came across to me in an accusatory way, as 'because you command, you stop people enjoying the game', which is not the point you are defending.
              Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 11 August, 2009, 08:29.
              Everyone goes on about how inspiring the story of Anne Frank is, but when I keep a little jewish girl in my attic suddenly THATS NOT OK?

Comment

Oh dear.

I said I appriciate what they are trying to do.

Infact, sometimes it's needed! someone offering direction to those who need some is fine...

But as I said, someone who does it excessively needs to chill.

And no, I made no distinction between drill sergaant and the corporal because that was not my subject. Major, Capt, sgt, whatever! It was not the point...

Comment

A point on which we agree. To be honest, I'd hope that if I ever came across like that, someone would pull me up on it and tell me I was being a ****.

Comment

at the end of the day you can listen to the person shout in or just walk away i've seen both on the field and it's your choice to stay or go

Comment

Im all up for hearing someones battle plans. If someone is commanding the masses then all for them. If it helps with getting the objective then crack on.

Got to feel sorry for about 3 or 4 lads at gz plan b site a few months back. As much as they pointed/talked and shouted the masses were not listening to them. It was only till they pushed up them selves, to fall in line with the team I was with. Thats when the rest of the masses got the picture.

Not sure if any of you guys were there but this is the game were Bravo spent all day continually attacking the doughnut. Also some bravo cheated by running through the car park with an objective (quite a large missile).
                      TM MC-51 (Full Systema Energy gearbox and all the other internal fo shizzal)
                      Star AW-338 Sniper Rifle
                      Maruzen APS Type 96
                      TM P226, Tac Master .
                      WE SCAR + VFC UGL
                      KSC GBB MP7, KSC USP .45 XM survive

Comment

Two things:

Drill Sergeant vs Corporal. Yes, Drill Sergeants shout at people all day, but I've never worked with one who does it for the sake of imposing his/her own authority. It is generally done for a reason, be that to create team work (by forcing a group to band around a single person who is being singled out), to remind them of standards which are falling, or (generally the case), to remind them that their idea of good is not up to the required standard (ie perfect). I have worked with a lot of (Lance) Corporals who will shout and bully for the sake of imposing the tiny little bit of authority they have been given. Most grow out of it very quickly, because it is counter-productive and causes resentment and lack of support. Those that don't grow out of it find their promotional plans stalling very early.

Orders being shouted at airsoft matches. I hate to see a game thrown away by poor tactics and lack of communication. I hate to see an objective hold as people aren't willing to push forward, take their hits, and risk a re-spawn. I laugh my tits off sometimes at the totally inept game play from both newbies and more experienced (or is that just the kit whores). Yes I may shout things like move forward or watch the rear. But I never order people around the field, never tell them where to move to and I never yell at them as if I have any authority over them. If someone does this, I will have a word with them in the safe zone. If they do it twice, it won't be a quiet word.

We are there to have fun. Giving direction, advice and (educational) instruction is one thing. Giving orders is another. If someone wants to give orders, they should either form a team, or if they are in one, restrict their leadership skills (!?) to that team and that team only, taking them to another part of the playing field if the other players around them annoy them too much.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeviv View Post
                          I. I remember once being with a group of rentals, just giving them some basic orders and leadership meant we actually advanced a fair way and made it all the way to our objective (Very simple- Cover each others in pairs, move cover to cover, cover your partner as he moves)

Your little "mother goose" moment. That was funny.

Anyway, I say live and let live. I personally probably take it too seriously, and when people tell me that I say stuff 'em. Some people are looking for Milsim, others are looking to laugh around. Don't try and tell people how to play.

If someone's yelling at you to move somewhere and do something, I'd say do it. Chances are they know what they're talking about, or have seen something you haven't. If they evidently have no clue, ignore them and get on with whatever you're doing. Don't whine and b**ch about it

Comment

Win or lose, by taking part, I am winning.

Meh to those who take it too seriously. We are not doing it for real so chill out please.

Work together as a team because people want to. Not because someone starts shouting. I have experienced this before several times and played along as I am a team player. Next time someone starts shouting at me. I will ignore them.

I am not in an army and if people want to behave like that, I will find some other people on my team to work with.

I have lead guys before and I talk to people with respect and do not get angry or shout. An officer keeps his cool.

Comment

When I heard clear shouting it was not at me or near me it was beyond treelines... That seemed excessive to me and my friends, we shout out contacts and requests for support, but we dont shout AT random people, little different.

All in all people will play how they do but it can come over a arrogant abuse for something that in the end is a game, I play to win but not at the expense of my fun or the fun of others.
                              Xadin {sha'din} Monkey

Next skirmish: GZ Woodland TBA

Comment

There is a difference between shouting and issuing commands.

Sometimes it is needed. Give an example.

recent game day, red team took over an hour to complete a mission, no orgnisation or anything.

We blue team came along, did the same mission in 20 minutes. We had organisation because there where people leading the team.

Sometimes there needs to be a lead person/group otherwise games dont always flow.

There is a limit to it though.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
                                Working...
                                X