X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why has my thread been closed?

Originally posted by Starbuck View Post
    Use a browser with an in built spell checker, there's no excuse for laziness.
    45 posts in 18 months - maybe you should be a little more proactive in your visits before being so critical of others.

Comment

Well, in an attempt to get the thread back on track. Can Balbosa inform us whether he has had a reply for his request about the reasons thread closure. Because, as I see it, 65 posts later, and not one mod comment.

So now it's not so much a feedback thread, since we have had none, just more of a rant thread. I for one would like to know the reasons for thread closures. I am sure if the reasons were posted, this would act as general guidance as to what would be an accepted thread, and stop 65 post long rants.

This thread has probably took more webspace than actually allowing Balbosa's original thread to stay, so removing it has pretty much defeated the objective.

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      45 posts in 18 months - maybe you should be a little more proactive in your visits before being so critical of others.
      Well in defence he can post as little or as often a he likes, but after 18 months he should still know the forum rules and adhere to them.
      Last edited by GadgetMaster; 14 October, 2010, 10:39.
      Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

Try to use acceptable levels of English to post and 'Spell-Check' if necessary, Posts that are difficult to read or demonstrate an unwillingness to use the English language correctly may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. If English is not your first language or if your language skills are not great, please at least try. We can live with imperfect grammar; we won't live with laziness and phonetic spellings.

Taken from the forum rules.

Also, for my having less than 50 posts - I don't see the need to have hour long conversations with other forum members in the Pictures of your Guns thread. I use other forums.

Originally posted by guard-sniper87 View Post
        Oh yeah and armies is full of wankers at the last visit

There is the fact
        Thats opinioin, its a far better forum for information gathering.
        Looks like someone saw the future
        Originally posted by BROWNING91
        MiniSnipa- just some advice... i think you have already been warned for posting non-sence, spam etc.. keep it up and your probably be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by guard-sniper87 View Post
          Oh yeah and armies is full of wankers at the last visit

There is the fact
          I think that should read Arnies, and you are not far wrong.

As for Public Forum that can be viewed as a guest etc - that would be a cause for it to be moderated far more than a closed private forum.
          I certainly wouldn't want to be a mod on here. There is always someone bitching about something you have done - damned if you do, damned if you don't. I do find it funny that a lot of people like to dress up as soldiers but don't like to be taking orders!!

Just imagine the chaos this forum would decend into if there were no mods. Just look at the threads that get out of hand very quickly because of arguements. The users on these forums love a fight.
          JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

The rules also state that you should refrain from criticising on a posters, or threads grammar, and report it. So with that in mind leave it out mate, it is NOT thread relevant. If you aren't happy with levels of grammar use the report function, as instructed.

Originally posted by N_Scooby View Post
            Just imagine the chaos this forum would decend into if there were no mods. Just look at the threads that get out of hand very quickly because of arguements. The users on these forums love a fight.
            Like this one
            Last edited by GadgetMaster; 14 October, 2010, 10:40.
            Feedback link

Comment

As (presumably) one of the "wanna be mods" I can only close and delete in certain areas of the forum. Having said that, I do get to see what the mod team are doing and this thread IS being watched closely. There have been posts in it reported by users, but for general irrelevance and fighting, not for the discussion itself. No posts in it have had action taken against them by any of the mods, that should tell you something in itself.

If the mods had posted on this thread, it would have turned into an arguement, as all of these threads do when the mods attempt to explain their actions. If they don´t post, then they are critisised for that instead.

Balbosa, you ARE NOT being picked on. You have just chosen to post threads that haven´t gone down too well with the mods and admin team, that´s a bit of bad luck and a bit of carelessness in relation to the forum rules, it´s not a witch-hunt as you seem to feel. If you wanted to see pictures of people´s guns, that´s what the pics of guns thread is for. Yours wasn´t the first gun specific thread to be deleted and it won´t be the last. As to why the somod thread has lasted, I don´t know, but at a guess if it was worded as a technical thread it may have caused less controvosy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jfox61
                Like this one
                Yep

I help Mod a Subaru forum - I thank god it is just a bunch of friends on there. If it was like this forum I think I would permantly be in a foul mood!

A friend of mine set up a rival Subaru forum as he thought the original one was over-moderated. His tag line was 'Freedom of speech, where you can say what you want to whom you want'. That lasted 2 weeks tops until it had to be as equaly moderated as the orignal forum due to the huge amount of fighting!!
                JG & TM G36's/CA,JG,TM & WE M4's/TM MP5K/TM & KJW SIG P226's/A&K M249/ACM M500 SSB/3 x TM M3 Super90/TM Hi Capa/TM & ASG MK23 Socom's/WE Baby Hi Capa/KJW M92f/Star L85A2/2 x DE M3 Clone/A&K Magpul Masada

Comment

I understand where you are coming from Robin, but, a pm to him would have stopped this thread from being needed in the first place. Secondly, Carelessness? how? He posted the thread EXACTLY as per the SOPMOD thread. Obviously and mistakenly believing that it is ok to do so.

The problem is inconsistency, not incorrect thread starting. As for the Mods not posting because it would start a fight, as you have said posts have already been reported, so it didn't stop the fighting.

A mod should have replied either by pm, and or posted on here, then closed it after explanation. If Balbosa then wanted more info he could go to pm with said mod. Not that that actually helps, in my personal experience, but it would at least keep the disagreement off forum.
                  Feedback link

Comment

He is under the impression that he is being picked on, because he has had a number of threads modded. The one that caused this thread would have come under my description of bad luck, not carelessness. Other threads have been modded due to minor issues, hence carelessness.

I´m not convinced, personally, that a mod posting here would help. In the past mods have posted giving a reason for a discussion like this being closed and another thread has apeared straight away with people ranting about that. I´m sure you can think of at least one of those! It looks to me that the mods have decided to let this thread have some life and see where it heads. That, though, is only my personal opinion as there aren´t any ongoing discussions about it in the mod zone. Also, for the record, the reports made have been by users and not mods.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
                      He is under the impression that he is being picked on, because he has had a number of threads modded. The one that caused this thread would have come under my description of bad luck, not carelessness. Other threads have been modded due to minor issues, hence carelessness.

I´m not convinced, personally, that a mod posting here would help. In the past mods have posted giving a reason for a discussion like this being closed and another thread has apeared straight away with people ranting about that. I´m sure you can think of at least one of those! It looks to me that the mods have decided to let this thread have some life and see where it heads. That, though, is only my personal opinion as there aren´t any ongoing discussions about it in the mod zone. Also, for the record, the reports made have been by users and not mods.
                      Although I agree, I don't think Balbosa is being picked on, but inconsistency is the key here, and leads to confusion on what is an acceptable thread.

Yes I can think of at least one And if I remember correctly that person received a temp ban, even though nowhere in the rules did it state it was not allowed. That person also received quite rude and abrupt pms from a certain mod when more information was requested. He then failed to answer any more questions when pressed, considering the matter closed.

This is my point entirely, there is considerable inconsistency when it comes to the mods deciding what is acceptable and what isn't.

I still maintain a polite pm to Balbosa, with reason, would have stopped this thread from being needed.
                      Feedback link

Comment

I do believe the very issue of mods having the courtesy of leaving a reason for closing a thread, either by PM or just a closing post, was discussed in a thread some time back. I think a few mods agreed at the time and the matter would be looked into, but sadly it does not seem to have made any affect.

Just found it it.
                        It was back in Feb 2010, Mods to strict.
                        Last edited by GadgetMaster; 13 October, 2010, 19:01.

Comment

yo jfox

no pm's, no contact, to be honest i dont particularly want one anymore. id only have to question it further

oh yeah and maybe im not getting picked on but in my opinion getting a warning for saying "haha" too much was a bit erm much. and im not allowed to reenact scenes and i have to be less whimsical

although what i will also say is thankyou mods for keeping it open this long

(and that's not sarcasm)
                          Last edited by GadgetMaster; 14 October, 2010, 10:36.

Comment

Is this better?
                            Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
                            Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                              Maybe as a suggestion - all mods should be known, open profiles to all, and accountable for their actions/decisions. One particular forum I use has over 6k members yet the owner, all mods and the admin team are known to most, do not hide behind a username so as to be open to everyone and any action taken MUST have an explanation from them as to why it came about.
                              Sorry but am I right in thinking you want members of the Mod team to leave their personal details for the world to see? I am sorry but no. No way in hell am I putting my name address and number on a "public" forum for the world to abuse at its will.

But back to the original topic.

I understand most of your points but there is now need to turn this into a argument or rant just to get you point across, all that ends up in is heads being banged together.

While I think what rampage is doinf with the Mod log is a good idea it would be much simpler to leave a closing post on the thread in question (for moved or locked threads). Or if it is a simple rename to a more appropriate title ( for M4 WITH RAILZ to M4 RIS) I can't see a real need for that to be logged but thats my view. It is a good start and will hopefully lead to good things.

Comment

"Sorry but am I right in thinking you want members of the Mod team to leave their personal details for the world to see? I am sorry but no. No way in hell am I putting my name address and number on a "public" forum for the world to abuse at its will."

Read it again and you'll see that's not what is being suggested.
                                The idea is that as a mod you are "known" to if not everyone then a large proportion and not hidden behind a username doing whatever you feel like.
                                Not once did I suggest putting your personal details up for the world to see. However as a mod you should be accountable for your actions and be bound to explain them. As a minimum either a polite rename of the thread, a simple "locked due to repost", etc.
                                The forum rules ask for courtesy and have been quoted already today but it seems as if that part doesn't apply to the mods does it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

BALBOSA Sound Designer\Sound Recordist, Outdoor enthusiast and all round crafty bugger, one of the 2 founding members of team unit-13, if you would like info on the team feel free to drop me a pm Find out more about BALBOSA
                                Working...
                                X