Choosing that first load out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing that first load out

PLCE is good for going prone, but only by holding ammo on your hips does it make it any good. I'd rather have a small pack instead of three small pouches on my waist.

Webbing is not ideal for airsoft for a number of reasons, one of which are the ammo loadout design, which is to allow an infantryman to carry 12 mags (very unusual to carry these many for us) and to sit under a back pack. Because it's easiest using open top mag pouches from your chest, this makes an ammo chest rig the way to go and instead of util pouches on your back, a small back pack (20l) with hydration in is what I have found to be the best.

Comment

I say bollocks to try and replicate something It may not work for you. I spent years building my current load out specifically tailored to my preference. It is now finished, somewhat modular, relatively comfortable and effective.

Mainly consists of a Flyye RICAS vest.

Comment

Yeah I agree with the above. I kept trying for a good and accurate UKSF loadout because it looks so cool, but I have now just accepted that the most comfy and functional load out is the best for me. I don't need breaching charge pouches, helmet counterweight pouches, cyalumes hanging out of every molle loop...

Just use a chest rig which holds six mags (open top), a util pouch for snacks and bits, a util pouch for ammo and other bits, a leatherman pouch and a dump pouch. This rig has hydration on the back. That's all I carry and is more than enough for your average milsim game, and anything extra I'll put in a small daysack but I have never needed to carry anything else for a days patrol really as I can jam a few bits in the top of my hydration pouch.

Comment

Exactly that. At the end of the day its all down to function over form.

My vest has
          x6 open top 5.56 pouches - front
          x1 Large Radio pouches on the front - I use this for P90 mags
          x2 grenade/small utility pouches
          x1 Admin pouch - for maps n things, also stores my throat mic when not using it
          x1 Small Radio pouch on my back
          Duty Belt with a Blackhawk drop leg pannel & Kydex quick draw holster

Heroshark mask & Wiley X SG-1 goggles with 5.11 combats. Been wearing that for the best part of 5 years and it has served me very well, everythings in a good position, easy to utilize when needed.

Only thing that it matches in the real world is that its multicam/coyote.

Comment

I use ballistic type sunglasses for the most part but also sometimes use Revision goggles, with the foam removed.

I have just purchased a helmet and some comtacs. The helmet is a copy, the comtacs are real. Being a bit deaf I imagine the comtacs as "tactical hearing aids" but I find them uncomfortable and if I'm not using one of the downleads it gets in the way, hence the helmet for mounting them. I also just brought a small camera to record some fun and games, which is another reason for getting a helmet.

Other than that, a helmet is probably not needed and will increase your discomfort and goggle fogging.

As said however, wear what is comfortable. I am somewhat restricted at my local site who draw a line between greens and deserts, in that you need to dress as one or the other as they don't like to wear armbands which to be fair I agree with as they look naff and high vis tape or arm bands don't aid your cammo!

Comment

Been looking over the local sites photos of game days and see a good chunk of folks are dressed as US/UK forces. So leaning towards something more Contractor in appearance.
              But still within a simple budget (will save like a loon for my gun when i get ukara squared).
              But the budget rules out things like the Crye stuff that is just waaaay beyond my means if i want to play sometime before 2050!
              There is no question of me liking or should i say loving airsoft as im in touch with myself enough to know what i would think to be cool and meh for fun.

So does anyone here go for a more 'contractor' look? and is it something 'acceptable' with the milsim events in general?
              Final question in the long list.
              If it's viewed as acceptable in milsim (which is something i would eventually give a go).
              Then does anyone have any good suggestions for a loadout?
              Top to bottom, front to back inside and out.

quick edit. For eyewear i am thinking of getting the Wiley CQC glasses that also convert into goggles. Think these should be a decent option.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich83 View Post
                I use ballistic type sunglasses for the most part but also sometimes use Revision goggles, with the foam removed.

I have just purchased a helmet and some comtacs. The helmet is a copy, the comtacs are real. Being a bit deaf I imagine the comtacs as "tactical hearing aids" but I find them uncomfortable and if I'm not using one of the downleads it gets in the way, hence the helmet for mounting them. I also just brought a small camera to record some fun and games, which is another reason for getting a helmet.

Other than that, a helmet is probably not needed and will increase your discomfort and goggle fogging.
                Maybe not for protecting from bb's but what protection are you going to have when playing cqb or even woodland and you smack your head on a door way/piece of metal work sticking out of a wall?
                CA M15A4 |

Comment

RE PMC and Milsim - I'd argue that its unusual, as most milsim games I know are two forces generally a NATO Vs some other faction so you see people in camo. Most "proper" Milsim games are also pretty strict on what you wear camo pattern wise, and even down to the right gun - I played a Stirling game with NATO against the Taliban, and the NATO players weren't allowed AK's etc and had to wear MTP or Multicam.

I'd personally suggest you get an M4, two high caps and two mid caps and give that a go. I like to use mid caps as it makes me a little more cautious of ammo consumption.

Also, I've just noticed you're in Norwich - get in touch with Gunman Airsoft as I think they have a site up your way and Gunman make airsoft the best

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by SW_matt View Post
                  Maybe not for protecting from bb's but what protection are you going to have when playing cqb or even woodland and you smack your head on a door way/piece of metal work sticking out of a wall?
                  When I used to play at the Bunker in Portsmouth I always wished for a helmet. I now only play woodland and have never banged my head. It wouldn't hurt to wear a helmet, but arguably we spend most of our time running around in the woods and you don't see many cross country/woodland joggers wearing helmets

Comment

haha thats a valid point, I rarely play woodland to be honest, I play the bunker a fair bit and wouldn't consider going down there without one! There are some wicked injury videos on youtube from cqb sites
                    CA M15A4 |

Comment

I'm six foot and a bit so I knocked my head a few times in the bunker lol

Totally wear a helmet somewhere like the bunker, which is just metal beams all over the low ceilings that bloody bang, scratch and cut your head!!

Comment

Yeah i know of gunman and its more local to me than skirmish norwich lol.

I will look into a helmet and by the sounds of it, for alround any site play, the best option is something 'current' which i cam guessingpretty much rules out dpm as an option?

I should probably not stress too badly about banging my head though. I was riding home from work a few years back when i got cut up by a bus, i was riding downhill at the time and going as fast as my litltle legs could peddle. Long story short, swerved because of the bus, no reaction time for braking and stacked into a parked van. Front wheel folded, and i went head first into the back door with no helmet on.
                        Walked away unscathed but rather confused as to why i couldn't ride my bike. Took a minute or 2 to realise i had a very badly buckled front will and had bent the forks to boot.

Comment

Its probably because you didn't have a helmet on when you crashed that caused you to need min or two to even realise you buggered your bike lol.

Don't rule out DPM - often it is allowed for the "op for" team, that is the non-nato team.

You seem like a nice chap mate send me a pm and perhaps give me a ring and I'll hook you up with the details for Josh who runs gunman etc and give you any info I can. Ive been doing this yen years now so I've seen stuff come and go, and made plenty of mistakes you can avoid

Comment

Cheers Rich, I have registered over on the forums for them and just waiting on the admin approval. So i can annoy them all with questions lol.

Think i am going to play the side of caution and do a modern british infantryman. Mtp and the works.Though i am crying at the cost of the mods to make an L85a2 more 'modern'. Ouch.

Comment

Modern Brit isn't expensive and the kit is excellent except for the L85. You could build an L119A1 and pretend you are blending in with your regular colleagues, or get a minimi or anything really. You need to be comfortable with your kit and your gun as much so. Personally I've had loads of different guns and for me the Armalite platform is by far the best for me.

Comment

Is the L119a1 any cheaper to assemble than a modern looking l85?

I have seen loads being made over on the sf thread but not got the foggiest about the bits needed. Yup i am that new lol

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ghostwalker 43 year old airsoft newbie, former tournament paintballer and marshal. Ex TA RGJ, WW2 hstory buff. Find out more about ghostwalker
                                Working...
                                X