SA80 Bayonet and the Law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA80 Bayonet and the Law?

I just bought a real steel bayonet, with scabbard and frog to complete my British Army loadout and one of the guys said I should get a license for it.

Anyone know the law regarding this?

Obviously I am careful not to let anyone see this or my RIF out on the street and it only gets loaded in the boot of my car on the morning of the Skirmish/MilSim and stays firmly in the scabbard on my belt order during the skirmish, but a guy said if the police stopped the car and saw it in the boot they could do me for "concealed weapon" or similar and I could get two and half years!

Surely being an official member of an organised skirmish site and on the day of an event would be good enough defense? (he said hopefully...)

Any advice appreciated

Andy

Re: SA80 Bayonet and the Law?

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches."

http://www.police-information.co.uk/...ndexeng.html#K

Assuming you don't get it out in a public place and keep it in a secure container during transit, I imagine it should be fine when on site as that's (typically) on privately owned ground, but don't hold me to that!
    Trader feedback thread

Comment

nope, sadly "being an official member of an organised skirmish site and on the day of an event would be good enough defense" wont cut it, the law's the law.
      You'll also find any decent site will ask to see any blade, to check its rubber or plastic, regardless of the defence that your only going to keep it on your belt, you should be asked to put it in the boot of your car and not bring it again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news fella

Comment

Most sites will not allow that, it is illegal in public places. Secondly insurance risk. You might go mental and stab somebody, or maybe you fall and put it through your own leg.

Comment

Yeah couple of the sites i have been to, have actually said in game briefs no RUBBER bayonets aswell just to cover themselves. I understand people like yourself want to complete your look but not worth the risk IMO just leave the scabbard on you beltkit and the bayonet at home, just use it posing for pictures with you kit. Alright you may be sensible but another person might want to have a fight or think he's funny by taking it off you, extreme i know but it could just happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Cowhig View Post
            ...and one of the guys said I should get a license for it.
            No licence required.

Comment

No law from what I understand...

Comment

few guys at my site have an sa80 bayonet - it is blunt and you can run it over your skin with lots of pressure without cutting yourself

one of the guys there is a cop and he was wearnig one and transported it to the site so im sure its fine - as long a your site allows bayonets that is

just use your descression - if a cop asks - keep it in a locked container with your airsoft stuff when they ask - explain and after youve explained the grendes and machineguns away im sure they wont bother about the knife
                |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Bayonets don't need to be sharp. It's the forceful use on the end of a rifle that does the damage. Why the f' would anyone even contemplate fixing a real bayonet for a skirmish?...

A Police Officer was wearing a real bayonet? My BS detector just went haywire.

Comment

pmsl!

Comment

seriously he is a west yorkshire police officer - it wanst fixed to his rifle but in the frog attatched to his PLCE

when i get my PLCE sorted i wil have a bayonet attatched to my webbing - wont ever be fixed to me rifle though in case of trips/falls etc
                      |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Personally I would not want to enter a game if someone had a bayonet or any other blade on them. Things can go wrong. And if they can, then they will at some point they will
                        Yes, the site is private property but I believe it's considered a public area as people have access to it.
                        And just because a copper says it's okay doesn't mean that's the end of it. Many coppers don't know the full extent of the law.

Common sense says it's a bad idea.

I can understand why you'd want the full look, and if you want it that much then snap the bayonet. Afterall, all you want anyone to see is the handle sticking out of the frog.
                        It's not as if you want to actually fix bayonets, right? ( Please say no )

Ta

W

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Just to clear this up - yes naturally I only wanted it for the look and intended it to stay in my webbing purely for authenticity - no "fix bayonets" stuff, as that is obviously asking for trouble. The site I use say on their briefings that they dont mind knives/bayonets being carried but not to come out of their scabbards/sheaths during game play - even rubber knives as it is just not worth the risk of someone standing over a fallen guy saying "oh, I was sure that was my rubber one..."

Oh well, sounds like it is down to either snap a (expensive ) bayonet or buy a rubber one (sigh)

Many thanks for all your views, much appreciated.

Andy

Comment

You could alternatively glue it into the sheathe? Prevent usage and still looks the part, keeping the thing intact. Except it'd be covered in glue.
                            Trader feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcaptain View Post
                              seriously he is a west yorkshire police officer
                              I fear for this country.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Andy Cowhig Find out more about Andy Cowhig
                              Working...
                              X