Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US SOG in vietnam!

Originally posted by RXAM View Post
    Odd it was something i was told by a nam re-enactor last year.
    I've heard that too, but those are the only films I've only been anal retentive about and actually looked for- the ones I've actually been able to get a look at have all had the folding bayonet.

Might well be others though. I think We were soldiers definitely has a few AK47s in.

Comment

Yeah We Were soldier's had alot of AK's the guy who charges Mel Gibson with a bayonet had an AK with an AK bayonet IIRC.

But as the 2 guns are very similar in appearance (and internal operation for that matter), so in films they use what they can get, they used to use M16A1's with A2 hand guards and the other way around if they couldn't get hold of A1's or A2's for filming.

Comment

Whoever told you that they used AKs instead of the Type 56 is completely wrong. It was the other way round back when the Cold War was on. It was illegal to import Eastern Bloc weaponry into America so pretty much every "AK47" you will see in a Hollywood film was a varient of the AK modified to look like the real AK. The type 56 was the most common. Although if the film was shot outside of the US then there could have been genuine AKs involved.

A really good example of this is Rambo III. They started filming in Israel but due to intelligence of a terrorist attack on the film set they moved back to the US to complete the filming. I think about 60-70% of the film was completed before they moved to Arizona to complete the filming. As a result some of the weapons change from genuine AKs to the copies that were used in Hollywood, mainly the Type 56 and the Egyptian Maadi ARM.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

seansamurai1 Over the 30 mark but not over the hill yet!!! Find out more about seansamurai1
        Working...
        X