The Falklands 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Falklands 1982

Well, as today marks the 30th Anniversary of the British landings at Port San Carlos, to retake the Falklands Islands, I thought id make a start at putting up my own Falklands Impressions, as a nod to all the lads that were there. This is actually my thing both in terms of airsoft & collecting (though im not a re enactor) & has been for many years now. All of the kit is of the era give or take a few things here & there. So if there's not mud or paint on some things… there never will be, as this stuff is becoming rarer & rarer!

What originally started off as simply a couple of Special Forces impressions (my main interest) developed basically into any regiment impression that I have kit for. Some are missing though, sadly, for the time being. Had I considered doing ‘all’ the land forces a while back Im sure I could have made a decent attempt in time for it. I could easily do them by simply adding insignia & berets with cap badges etc... but im not going there. Im not finished collecting though & they’re by no means definitive, theres still things on ‘the list’ to get. Where & when I can ill update in the future. But if they raise awareness of the war (or even British Cold War kit in general) into today’s Multicam/COD world, then something good has come of it. Failing that, hopefully at the least you’ll enjoy seeing the pictures.

Being really busy these days I simply couldn’t do my usual location shots with all of these pictures & I had wanted to do something a little different to the norm anyway. So I had a mate ‘edit’ the pictures to look something along the lines of an ‘Osprey’ book. The pictures themselves were actually taken in my drive way!

As the Royal Marines of Naval Party 8901 & the volunteers of the Falklands Islands Defence Force were the 1st to face the Argies when they invaded, I thought id start with them.

So here we go.

Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Re: The Falklands 1982

Ive used a Norwegian army snow suit as seen in the reference pictures. The boots are Swedish Army ski march boots.

Norwegian Army Snow Gaiters

Firm favourites of the SAS/SBS/RMs/RM M&AWC during this time
    Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

cracking stuff, makes me want to go down that route now....

Comment

Very nice indeed, i've got my SLR on route and will be doing something similar, but mine will be just the standard set up

The Impossible i can do, Miracles take slightly longer .
        But all problems are solved with a brew and a fag.

Comment

Cheers lads, glad you like em. ill be posting more soon. The next lot will be SBS...

Comment

awesome job mate i really need to sort my SLR as its snapped the air nozzle (hens teeth anyone?) tho i need to finish my 148 impression for my group as i fancy having the power to call in some 30 mile sniper shots
            Do Something Brave....Then Run Like Hell!
            ::Yorkshire Airsoft:: http://www.yorkshireairsoft.co.uk
            ::Cold War Warriors 1985 - 1995:: http://coldwarwarriors.proboards.com/

Comment

Cheers WYATT, nice youre doing a RM 148 Battery impression too. Very much one of the lesser known units in the conflict & kit-wise very easily gets confused as SAS/SBS.

Comment

Comment

Very nice mate!
                  "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
                  George Carlin

Comment

Inspiration

The 1st time i saw this picture was in a book called 'War in the Falklands: The Campaign in Pictures' by the Sunday Express Magazine Team, which i stumbled across in a charity shop. The book has some cracking pictures in it, although SF fans would be disappointed as theres really only this one. I did a bit of a double take when i 1st saw this picture as the idea of bright blue gaiters whilst cam'ed up in dpm & all the rest of it seemed a bit crazy to me & its one of those things that if there were no reference picture, folk would be like '...yeah right'. You know, the old 'pictures or it didnt happen' thing.

Then i remembered that id been told by an ex SBS lad (who was 'in' at the time) that they had taken a lot of civvy kit down there. As he told me, back then a lot of the emerging civvy mountaineering/hiking companies were offering kit that was far superior than that of the issue stuff. So anyway, i liked the idea of it & had to do a rough impression of it, although i believe the guy in the picture has a gpmg that's been cam'ed white. The lad to the right with the claymore bag is what i loosely based the previous impression pictures on. You can see hes wearing the same Norwegian army snow gaiters as me.

Comment

None of these pictures would be complete if an 80s 'tache didnt appear somewhere

Inspiration

Comment

great work mate!!

Comment

You need to grow that tash mate.
                          Over 150 positive sales & trades on this and other forums!

Comment

very cool indeed keep up the great work

The Impossible i can do, Miracles take slightly longer .
                            But all problems are solved with a brew and a fag.

Comment

Was at elvington, york at the weekend for the military vehicles show. Lots of 80's groups there. My fellow airsofters have there own british 80's ACE mobile group impersonation with landies fully kited up with SLR's, M16, GPMG's, 30cal and 50cal.
                              Over 150 positive sales & trades on this and other forums!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Brandon 35 Years old been playing airsoft since i was 9- the days before AEGs were the norm. Find out more about Brandon
                              Working...
                              X