Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done properly

On a tangent from the Oman thread I've been slowly building up a 50s and 60s British Army in the far east impression.

This is rough as the badgers proverbial at the moment.

Trousers are WWII pattern, they were worn but not universally and probably not by Borneo. Shirts too small but getting them in my size is tricky, bush hats a repro, missing a second water bottle and a machete, also still need a no5 or SLR bayonet... would prefer black and green rather than all green boots and most obviously of all pouches are empty and i'm wearing very modern glasses

Easy fixs are the lack of tactical signs on the bush hat.. i intend to sew on a white circle or weave in some white tape.

I could also do with a one colour scrim, i only own two colour ones so I left it off.

Got a 42 pattern bergan or an 18 set for my back but again as I'm just trying out the basics i left that off.

Kit is:

Repro 44 pattern Bushhat
    Original 50s pattern aertex jungle shirt
    Repro JG 42/43 pattern trousers
    Original 44 pattern webbing, all dated around 1956-60
    Original brit jungle boots.

Rubbish pic quality as i'm working from home on my own today so I had to take video and crop out stills in paint!

Weapon wise as mentioned on the Oman thread i've got stuff thats either too early (no4 and sten MKII) or a bit too late for Malaya (SLR, they were used especially by kiwis in 57 and 58 and onwards by Brits.)
    Last edited by Gadge Europa; 19 July, 2012, 14:35.

Re: Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done prop

Some better pics

Comment

Re: Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done prop

Gadge. One small criticism. You really are FAR TOO GOOD AT THIS!

Off to sulk.
      Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

What rucksack is it Gadge??
        sigpic

AK47 Custom Operator Weapon / Sig Sauer P228 9mm

Comment

1942 Patt bergen. (Ideal for Oman up til 1972ish.) Brilliant piece of kit.
          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Mines 42 dated and really falling to bits. The shoulder straps are halfway worn through and the tab fastening the bodyto the frame has split on one side.

Really should get it refurbed but with it being a really early model it might nacker the value more than it being worn...

Still only cost a tenner and replaced a 1950s dated model i had that was equally battered

Cheers for the compliment btw.

Comment

That looks great. Better than what I imagined going by the talk in the other thread actually, well done, again.

I saw those hats of that auction site the other day, it like really shiny in the pic and was put off, but it looks much better there. Think i"ll get ordering one of them.

Comment

If you want them I can send some pics of a mid 50's SAS troop from when my grandfather served in malaya.

Comment

Really nice Gadge, not too farmiliar with western historical loadouts but as far as I can see it's all top notch!
                  Signature Removed

Comment

Originally posted by XRaptorX View Post
                    If you want them I can send some pics of a mid 50's SAS troop from when my grandfather served in malaya.
                    That would be awesome mate. Please do if it's not too much trouble.

I'm lucky in that i'm currently in contact with a Malaya/Borneo era veteran from the Royal Green Jackets. When i eventually do the article on this kit I'll be dedicating it to him for his help.

Comment

Nice one Gadge, as i was saying it has to be the 1st Malaya impression ive seen Hawke, P42 Rucksacks made it even further than than the 70s. ive seen a photograph of D Squadron waiting to be picked up in the Falklands & theres a P42 in there with 72 pattern bergens
                      Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

THe WW2 type "Commando" Bergen was made post war,slightly different colour material but basically the same,have 2,from memory one dated 50s,other 60s.

As for the Jungle Hats,there is a chap of the Greybear variety that always lists loads both Khaki and OG on the Bay of E(as with most of his items probably described as RARE even though he seems to have shed loads!!!!!!),all in small sizes BUT I have managed in the past to stretch a couple of these quite easily and fit my size 58 swede.

Comment

A few pics I already had on the PC of one of the Bergens--

Superb Bergens,comfortable to wear and practical,only thing I find being a skinny git is that the waist bit of the frame is wider than me and have caught it on more than one occasion trying to squeeze through tight spaces!!!

Comment

I've always liked these rucksacks. I saw a bloody cheap one mislabeled for a 'buy it now' price a couple of weeks ago, half way through logging in I got a rather long phone call. When I went back someone had got there first, was well gutted.

The search continues I suppose. What is a reasonable price for one?

Comment

Regarding the Jungle hats, its also worth having a look at how some are worn in Tony Geraghtys This is the SAS. Theres pictures of lads in there with them & they look rather small for them-they are seemingly just resting on their heads.

Well, as this is the place for them this is my SAS Borneo impression based on the 'Claret Operations' behind the lines.

Last edited by Brandon; 21 July, 2012, 13:55.
                              Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gadge Europa Find out more about Gadge Europa
                              Working...
                              X