Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done prop

Hi,

I've recently set up a re-enactment group - "Bersayap Tentara"

Have a look ? http://www.wingedsoldiers.co.uk

Comment

Re: Malaya & Borneo Impressions... showing the world how jungle warfare is done prop

Looks good. I'd have been interested in joining if it was about the Malayan campaign in general but I'm always a bit awkward about publically re-enacting special forces units.

I think the tragic shame is that the ordinary guys who served in Malaya and Borneo never get a mention.

Comment

Hi Gadge,

You'd be more than welcome to turn up at any event we do in the future.

My mate comes along and portrays a member of the 1st BN Royal Ulsters (Borneo), and acts as a radio operator.

We chose the "SAS" impression, as it tends to immediately gain the attention of the general public........once you engage them in conversation, then you get the opportunity to expand their knowledge. You'll be surprised how many people don't even recognise the Malaysian flag !

At the Bunker Bash event we managed to put two ex. SAS guys that had served in Malaya back in touch with each other.

We also recieved numerous positive comments from ex. servicemen that had served in Asia. They were pleased that these conflicts were being represented, and not forgotten.

Surely that's what it's all about ?

Best regards,

Peter.

Comment

yeah i suppose so I just find the whole sas thing a bit walty on the whole. I'm sure you're doing it with taste but usually groups doing sas are utterly cringeworthy (note i'm not saying you are i've just met some utter muppets in the past doing wwii sas) and it's put me off it a bit.

It's just a shame that everyone doesnt para and sas groups and hardly anyone recognises the regular infantry.

Our old group used to do Hallamshire Battalion TA to try and counter the vast numbers of 60 year old airborne sgt majors at WWII shows

Comment

I agree with Gadge,same goes for Australian Vietnam,most if not all obsessed with trashing/spraying rare webbing to join the SASR with hardly anybody interested in doing regular units which is a shame

Comment

Hi to you both,

I can understand your stance relating to the portrayal of "elite" forces, and I agree the "tommy" does not get much exposure at these events. However, my experience, thus far, with the re-enactment fraternity, is not so much to do with which unit is being portrayed, but more to do with the members within a group, how they engage with the general public, and more importantly what they say. We are trying to raise the profile these forgotten British small wars. These conflicts have been somewhat over-shadowed by "NAM", we are just trying to cast-some-light on them.

If you come to an event we are attending, please come over, make yourselves known, have a chat (and a tiger beer).You'd be most welcome. Note...we are not into spraying or trashing any of our kit....it's too damn expensive.

You appear to be like minded individuals..." The Non-Elitists"....perhaps, together, you could form your own re-enactment group portarying this era of British conflict......the more exposure the better.

Best regards to you both,

Peter

Comment

Ive got my hands full running a 25 strong rifle platoon of 0f early 80 BAOR mate

I think the guys would mutiny if i gave them another kit list and i think the missus would kill be if i took on running any more events.

I'll definitely come and say hi at some point at a show though.

Comment

Hey,
                  Nice site and gear odd bod. It's nice to see someone doing Malaya & Borneo stuff so well. I'm personally more interested in the standard units than the SF side of things, but like the little history and old photos you've added to the site. An the gear was fairly similar at the time for all, so makes interesting viewing.

It does seem a shame that the standard units are overlooked though, anytime I type in anything looking for photos, etc for Malaya or Borneo I get loads of SF stuff and relativity little for anything else.

Has anyone got any idea when the Armalite's started getting to the regular troops by the way? I've seen some info about Gurkas receiving them, an a display at the Durham Light Infantry Museum shows a Majors kit with a AR from 66. I'd love to not have to use an AR but don't really have another option at the mo, my carbine is way to broken, and my fal is way to short (and broken)

Comment

Hi troutsniffer,

I've spoken to a number of ex. servicemen (not SAS or Marine Commandos), that said they were issued with AR15's when they attended JWS in 65. One guy stated that they were given black dyed jungle greens whilst attending the JW course, so they were not mistakenly for CT's (how true this is I'm not sure ?)

Regards,

OddBod.

Comment

Hi Troutsniffer,

For your information....Royal Green Jacket Platoon.......with AR15's 1965.

009_3RGJ-Borneo_01.jpg

This photograph shows members of 13 Platoon, 3rd Green Jackets (The Rifle Brigade), at Balai Ringin in the First Division of Sarawak (Borneo) in 1965. The platoon, formed entirely of buglers, storemen and other personnel from Headquarters Company, had just returned from an operation in the forward area. The platoon commander, 2nd Lieutenant Robert Pasley-Taylor, is third from the left without a jungle hat, and the platoon sergeant, Sergeant Fisher, is third from the right. The platoon was armed with American automatic .223 Armalite rifles.

Regards,

OddBod

Comment

Some more info.......

Check out...1st Battalion The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders...Photos on their website shows guys with AR15's during their first tour of Borneo April to September 1964.

OddBod.

Comment

Cheers oddbod, thats very useful info. Thanks for posting that picture too, I have been looking for it for a while after forgetting where I'd seen it.

The fellow reclining centre right looks like he's got some sort of knee pad on his left leg, never seen that before.

Managed to pick up a rucksack copy recently that I think looks the part, what do you think. (hope the seller doesn't mind me pinching their photo)

Comment

Originally posted by odd.bod13 View Post
                            One guy stated that they were given black dyed jungle greens whilst attending the JW course, so they were not mistakenly for CT's (how true this is I'm not sure ?)
                            OddBod.
                            That seems odd, I wouldn't have thought the bad guys would be hanging out at the other teams school. Where the CT's wearing JG to then? I guess old Brit kit was pretty prolific at that time round the old parts of the empire.

Comment

In malaya the malayan races guerillas wore either indigenous or old british KD (sometimes with long puttees) and the odd bit of native dress. They did try very hard to have some uniformity and on the whole it was KD.

In Borneo the opposing forces tended to wear US and dutch WWII uniforms, in particular the usmc style camo suits.

I've got a friend who was in RGJ in Borneo, i can ask him directly what they tended to be wearing when they shot/caught them if you like?

Comment

Yeah if you don't mind, always good to learn something. I have a feeling I read something similar in that osprey book about borneo, Britain's secret war one. Think you mentioned it at some point actually.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gadge Europa Find out more about Gadge Europa
                                Working...
                                X