• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May be going for this SAS Setup.

Originally posted by Mikep81 View Post
    What unit are you in?
    49 Para.

But seriously, it sounds like he's a cadet or something, but I highly doubt a blade would be allowed to take his weapons out without the need. Big timing it isn't a reason (unless you're 21/23 doing recruiting) but even still, they dont trust anyone. Their barracks up in Leeds has their sign nailed high up so no one can relocate it to their own office.

I believe 21/23 are becoming more mainline regular AR now so they may have their toys taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman93 View Post
      49 Para.

But seriously, it sounds like he's a cadet or something, but I highly doubt a blade would be allowed to take his weapons out without the need. Big timing it isn't a reason (unless you're 21/23 doing recruiting) but even still, they dont trust anyone. Their barracks up in Leeds has their sign nailed high up so no one can relocate it to their own office.

I believe 21/23 are becoming more mainline regular AR now so they may have their toys taken away.
      Yeah that's why I asked. Even 21 and 23 are mega shady, even when recruiting. The rumour about 21 and 23 going back to L85's has been going for years. A recent intake on selection had it hinted to them as did an intake 10 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen with all the cutbacks but I think might be a case of rumour control, then again, the cutbacks now are worse than they've ever been for the military so I could stand corrected!

Comment

I still find it stramge how you can directly join the reserves elements of uksf. I think a bloke in our unit was londons before joining 21 then coming to us. He got quite a few cp jobs in Iraq and Africa so maybe even 21/23 training is pretty high standard.

Comment

I still find it stramge how you can directly join the reserves elements of uksf. I think a bloke in our unit was londons before joining 21 then coming to us. He got quite a few cp jobs in Iraq and Africa so maybe even 21/23 training is pretty high standard.
          Yes it is a high standard. It's pretty much the same as regular selection, but just on a different time scale. They do test week with the Regulars, which takes a year to get to, and you have to pass a weekend of tabbing in Brecon every month before you can get to test week. After that you go on a two year probation and complete your continuation training which you can fail as well, so all in all you have 3 years of testing and at the end of it, even if you pass they can fvck you off if they don't like you, obviously there's a lot more to it than that, but that's not really for a public forum, well not in my opinion anyway.

Just to add about your mate, he may well have been able to jump on the SF CP course, but yeah being 21 would stand you in very good stead on the HE CP circuit.

Comment

For the record lads, 'HarvN44' is in the TA, no need to be quite so aggressively cynical on these topics, despite them being renown for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Someshot View Post
              For the record lads, 'HarvN44' is in the TA, no need to be quite so aggressively cynical on these topics, despite them being renown for it.
              Ah, but is it 'TA' or 'AR'? I notice TAQ was renamed ARQ about a year ago.

Comment

Ah, but is it 'TA' or 'AR'? I notice TAQ was renamed ARQ about a year ago.
                Not a clue, i'm not in either myself

Comment

Call me stupid but, what's up with SF (UK & US) mixing up Woodland and Tricolour or DPM and DDPM Uniforms when out on Ops?

Comment

Short and tall of it?

Because they can.

It may sound obviouse but it's true, they can pretty much ware what they want. They don't have the same displine/ regimental bullshit the green normal army has.

Comment

So a DPM S95 combat jacket and MTP trousers wouldn't look out of place?

Comment

Nope. If it's comfy and it works, wear it. You tend to find they mix a lot of civi hill walking kit with their gear, such as boots, warm kit and outer shell jackets. As long as the job gets done, nobody really cares. Besides, if they looked a dick, peer pressure from the rest of their crew would sort it out.

Hope this help.

Comment

The reason that there are a lot of pictures from Iraq of UKSF wearing a lot of yank uniforms apparently stems from the number of joint ops that UK and US SF were running and that our lot were operating in US areas. It was to reduce the chance of blue on blue.

As for the mixing of Dpm and Ddpm there are plenty of examples of that being done in regular regiments before MTP.

Comment

Originally posted by shamus5178 View Post
                            Besides, if they looked a dick, peer pressure from the rest of their crew would sort it out.
                            Being friends with an ex SF chap I can confirm that if it doesn't look cool, he doesn't use it :P

Of course, sometimes what we think looks cool differs!
                            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

If you believe the latest pics in the DM, UKSF are currently trialling SCAR-H in Afghan.

Comment

I remember the issue of mixing camo has come up a lot ...........it was pretty hip a while back to mix regular dpm tops with dpm trousers in a special forces loadout once upon a time.......i must admit i miss the variation...........it always gives rise to great loadouts when its done well

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ForceGhost Find out more about ForceGhost
                                Working...
                                X