british army equipment 1973-77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: british army equipment 1973-77

Yes a Sterling would be a bit special, and i'd think, quite popular, also as Gadge says, a decent Bren at a tidy price would be a pretty good seller too, and so they should, after all we are Brits, not septics, and with our history, should be very proud of the fact, and eager to emulate our boys both past and present.
    "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by steve grey View Post
      Yes a Sterling would be a bit special, and i'd think, quite popular, also as Gadge says, a decent Bren at a tidy price would be a pretty good seller too, and so they should, after all we are Brits, not septics, and with our history, should be very proud of the fact, and eager to emulate our boys both past and present.

I do find it a bit tragic really given the amount of sacrifice given my grandfathers/fathers/uncles/brothers/friends in world wars and troublespots around the world that most airsofters seem obsessed with portraying the US army rather than their own heritage.

I mean it's not even like the US Army is actually that good when you look at it objectively. If you take away the massive materiel support the individual soldiering skills in the US Military have *always* been vastly inferior to the British Army, they are just a lot better at spending billions on bombing the shit out of things.

You've just got to look at some of the amazing 'successes' of US special forces like the son tay prison camp raid (look it up) or 'operation eagles claw' (again read it and weep) to see how incompetent their special ops units were at the time when you compare them to the work being done by the SAS at the same time (malaya/borneo/northern ireland, op nimrod etc).

I'm not anti us, i've got some US impressions but i rarely ware them unless it's scenario specific but 'man for man' they are not great soldiers unlike the Germans and the British (and to a degree the better Russian units). A lot of bravado, a lot of hoohah ing but not a lot of quiet proffesionalism.

A cracking example is black hawk down (i've read the book, i've seen the film but it was a long time ago so forgive me if i make an error here). A patrol is cut off with low ammo, no water and no NVGs... now when i was in the *TA* i wouldnt have left the harbour area on an exercise without full water bottles, bombed up mags and pouches, and the CWS with spare batteries in a pouch... let 'proffesionals went on a patrol in a hostile area like they were going to the corner shop for some haribo.

I just wish more airsofters would pop down to the British legion, or the IWM or a regimental museum or 'eden camp' look at the pics of our forefathers in combat and be inspired by that..not 'call of duty' or 'saving private ryan'.

rant over...

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem is though is that it's a chinese/japanese market that manufactures most of the AEGs so unless it's culturally cool to them via film or games there isnt much point or interest in making it.

If a blockbuster film ever game out (or highly successful shooter) about the British Army between 56 and 90 you'd get a glut of brens/smgs and sniper varient enfields... although you probabaly wouldnt as hollywood would probably take shortcuts and give everyone an airsoft M4

Honestly i know it's all about personal choice but the M4 is the dullest thing in the world, it's ugly, not that ergonomic and every buggers got one... such a dull dull aeg.

Rant *really* over now.

Comment

A Sterling exists (I have no idea on the product line)
        an Action Custom SL MK4 AEG
        I saw it on a site that has peri-(xxxxx) and (xxxxx)-beam in the title
        R

Comment

part of the problem with making anything british in airsoft is the prixe is a good 20% higher than anything of a yanky origin i mean a SA80 will cost you about £350+ but a decent M/AR4/16/15 can cost less than £200 (especialy if you buy JG as it's just the same as TM...or so i've heard) which is a bitch because i'd love a sterling :-)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by LukeCDC View Post
            part of the problem with making anything british in airsoft is the prixe is a good 20% higher than anything of a yanky origin i mean a SA80 will cost you about £350+ but a decent M/AR4/16/15 can cost less than £200 (especialy if you buy JG as it's just the same as TM...or so i've heard) which is a bitch because i'd love a sterling :-)

since postig this i have found a sterling...for around £350.....just thought I'd share that

Comment

Funnily enough, so have I.
              Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

i have one :p

gonna have to look into a new oldie loadout now lol
                Khathar hunnu bhanda marnu ramrod It is better to die, than live a coward

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=275&h=157

Comment

if there was a jealous face i'd be using it now!

Comment

If its not too far off topic, I imagine your dad was glad to ditch all the old army gear when he left! Modern options are WAY more comfortable (esp the webbing) and the SLR is a massive cumbersome rifle that will achieve far less than a TM recoil CQB M4 for the same price. Again, I am willing to bet your dad was probably very sick of carrying such a massive rifle back in the day

Comment

Oi.
                      I'll have you know, some of us liked the Long Gun. And a woolly pully and lightweights looked essence.
                      Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

My brother had the SLR and loved it. I was (un)lucky enough to be in when the L85 was fully adopted. When I got issued an LSW for DZ cover though, I really came to appreciate the L85 a lot more!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Indeed. I missed out on SLR and everyone in my battalion raved at how good it was.

As for 'getting more out of an m4' . I doubt that. My ares SLR is a veritable cannon and i hit whatever i'm shooting at first shot most times.

Good field craft and well set up clean semi auto L1a1 is better than some short bit of plastic toss any day. I moved from a shorter AEGs like my old TM G36c, my AKSU etc to single shot 'long' rifles like my SLR and Dragunov as they are just better for me. Yeah they weigh a bit more but then i spent years humping real GPMGs and LSWs about so in comparison it's nothing.

Comment

The SLR was a proper bang stick! I had no problems swinging one about even in confined areas. If it was too tight we would lob a driver with his Smudger in first.
                            "Momento Te Esse Mortalium"
                            "Im not FAT.....Im HUSKY"

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Chevaliernoir Find out more about Chevaliernoir
                            Working...
                            X