2 Para NI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Para NI

Ahh, the 58 pattern large pack. Singularly the most useless bit of kit ever made. I remember having to pack "active edge" kit into one in the late eighty's in Germany. Ahh the fun. Too much kit, to small a pack. ��

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll try the lean . I've got most of the kit, but I'm thinking of going a bit earlier, maybe early 80's (possibly early 70's, if I can find/save for a denison!). My style is more urban riots I prefer wearing a helmet, I haven't warned the beret!

Gadge and his group look epic in those photo's! Can I ask, are all the SLR's airsoft or are some deac? Is love to join the group too. Is there an area your particularly based at?

Shamus, I haven't found anyone who has even liked the large pack a bit, ever! I've got a few of the old clansman framed bergens, far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by shamus5178 View Post
        Ahh, the 58 pattern large pack. Singularly the most useless bit of kit ever made. I remember having to pack "active edge" kit into one in the late eighty's in Germany. Ahh the fun. Too much kit, to small a pack. ��
        Even worse.... The bum roll with all the drama of packing NBC Suit, gloves and boots, them some clown decided we also needed to pack a JHW (Jumper) in there too. It used to take about an hour just to re-pack that after the dreaded Active Edge kit check.

Comment

Neil uses a large pack quite often as he remembers when he was in the wessex at the time they *had* to use them, most of us use GS or para bergans for practicality.

All the groups weapons in those pics are airsoft. The only time you'll see us without them is when we do shows like 'national armed forces day' when we had live GPMGs and SLRs so we could show the public how they strip and their working parts (yeah you read that right LIVE, had to pull a few strings with pals in HM Forces to get that one squared away and we did have to anchor them to the ground with three metre chains!)

Group is from all over the uk, look for 'royal union rifles' on FB. It's a 'fictional' cap badge so as not to cause any offence to real units and so that people who feel they havn't 'earned' a beret can wear one anyway as its a made up ca badge and we represent a 'typical' BAOR infantry platoon.

Don't get me started on packing stupid kit for exercises.. hottest august on record one year and we had to pack wooley pullys *and* chinese fighting suits... then as we were all about to deploy onto the area they made everyone get *everything* out of their bergans and webbing to check no one had 'forgotten'.

Oh good times!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and we have a time frame of 83/84 for our group. Once you get to about 86/87 so much 'modern' stuff comes in (s10, mk6, sa80) that you look from a distance like anything up to about 2005. Keeping out kit with tin lids and SLRs screams *80s* at you and people totally get that we are re-enactors and not TA or cadet instructors (less of an issue now no one wears DPM)

Comment

Hi

About the SLR butt pouch I have one dated 1972 and from what I gathered they were meant for use on Vehicle Checkpoints in Northern Ireland but they were never put into the stores system so never got issued to troops.

Jak

Comment

I have made up a new belt kit, looking for opinions on it?

The set up is basic, as it needs I be on short urban patrols/riots. It has a roll pin belt, local pattern SLR mag pouch, SLR bayonet, 44 ptn bottle/cover and 58 ptn ammo pouch with small side pouch thing removed.

Is this set up too much like SAS / UKSF style?

I was going for something similar to this guy, bar the moustache!

Also got a Denison and Proper Helmet sorted, so should have some decent pics soon.

Thanks,
              Will

Comment

Faking wheeler dealer this guy!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Giddo View Post
                  I have made up a new belt kit, looking for opinions on it?

The set up is basic, as it needs I be on short urban patrols/riots. It has a roll pin belt, local pattern SLR mag pouch, SLR bayonet, 44 ptn bottle/cover and 58 ptn ammo pouch with small side pouch thing removed.

Is this set up too much like SAS / UKSF style?

I was going for something similar to this guy, bar the moustache!

Also got a Denison and Proper Helmet sorted, so should have some decent pics soon.

Thanks,
                  Will
                  Nah mate, less kit the better. SF and green army had a lot of slack with belt kit. Initially units started fairly anal in regards what they could / should wear. But as the tour progressed, you got cut more slack and being out in the out stations or sticks kept you away from the regimental bullshit.

FRECKING AWESOME MOUSTACHE FTW

Comment

Thanks Shamus, I'll keep the belt kit as it is then!

I've got some more kit recently (went on a bit of a buying spree!). First was a RAC converted Para helmet. I didn't realise how much work the guy had done, holes had been drilled for the liner. I made some hangers for the chinstrap, and ground out the original RAC chinstrap mounts which left me two holes, perfect for the turtle riot visor I had. I know, an RAC helmet's been ruined, but it wasn't me! And I have another.

The. It was a 63 dated Denison smock. I'm really pleased with it, and it's good condition too! Also got a wooden carrying handle for an SLR, which I've brought too!

Comment

The bloke with the tache is Ian Hunt, who was tragically killed in a blue on blue in the Falklands.
                      The other blioke is Hawke Sr.
                      Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Got some better photos of the impression, with the new gear. I'm pleased with it, I just need to sort out the bottom of the Denison. Let me know what you think!

Better one of the gun. I brought an Ares SLR, airsoft.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Giddo Find out more about Giddo
                        Working...
                        X