Royal Marine Mountain & Arctic Warfare Cadre, Falklands 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Royal Marine Mountain & Arctic Warfare Cadre, Falklands 1982

My dad fought in the Falklands whilst he was in the Scots Guards, I've still got his Bergen that he used, and it's better than the majority of bergens now! All that it's needed to be repaired is that one of the buckles broke about 20 years ago, but apart from that it's in tip top condition!
    Dont worry about the M16 either mate because its what they used as well as the SLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jasevx View Post
      DMS wern't worn by the Cadre, they used privately purchase boots. If you are going for a Falklands look, alot of troops took the decent boots of dead Argys so a high leg would work.
      The Cadre did use Ankle DMS boots mate. Theres even photos of them training in norway after 1982, with some guys wearing them. if you read Falklands Commando by Hugh McManners he mentions this fact. he also mentions that guys from the SBS & RM 148 Naval Gunfire Support (his unit attached to the SBS) also had DMS ankle boots and the problems with them.

They actually put in an order before they left for Ascension for pairs of Sweedish Cold Weather Army boots (that not alot of people know about) purely because at the time they were said to be the best Cold Weather boots around. im lucky to have a pair myself dated 1982 & they really are sturdy, well made boots! heres mine. excuse he state of the high leg DMS boots!

Yeah i know about the hiking boots and the giaters too mate, though i keep them for my SBS impressions as they go much better with the photos ive seen of them. Also! the SAS/SBS used German army para boots of the time too. hope this helps.
      Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by FunkycHUNKY View Post
        My dad fought in the Falklands whilst he was in the Scots Guards, I've still got his Bergen that he used, and it's better than the majority of bergens now! All that it's needed to be repaired is that one of the buckles broke about 20 years ago, but apart from that it's in tip top condition!
        Dont worry about the M16 either mate because its what they used as well as the SLR!
        Cheers mate, yeah ive got that bergen too. its called the 'SAS Rucksack'. it has it stamped under the lid. also got the GS (General Service) 80 ltr bergen aswell-use it quite alot aswell as my ALICE pack. to be honest though ive tabbed in the SAS rucksack and the more modern olive and dpm ones and must say they are by far more comfy than the 'SAS' with its awkward frame. but then back then it was Real men that had them! especially the Scots!!! haha! but! it does look good i have to say! i particularly like the quick release features on the straps though. dont know whay they didnt carry that into the design of the new ones?

Yeah i actually should have mentioned i have an SLR (Ares) but its off getting upgraded. i could have used my 203 as the cadre used them too, but since the M16 was just new i went for it instead.
        Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

The waxy looking bergan, I have a sleeping bag that i would consaider selling. Army issue surplus and filled with feathers. VERY warm sleeping bag.

PM me if you fancy it and i'll get some photo's to you. Depends how far you want to take your loadout for overnight games etc....

Comment

Originally posted by URI ORLOV View Post
            Cool, im more into Cold War british special forces myself in particular SAS/SBS. ive just recently completed my SAS 58 pattern webbing kits and have 2 of the 72 pattern vests (the one mcnab has in bravo 2 zero). the other SBS thread i have is a bit of a piss take. ill try and get some decent shots of the kit up soon. here are the vests. quite rare to be honest. Theyre not the silvermans ones!!!

Suerly you dont need 2 of those do you:D:D:D:D:D

Where on earth did you find those if you dont mind me asking and please dont say you picked them up for a tenner at a ca

r boot sale

2 have been sold in the last week or so by the same seller on Baye and while i know nothing about these vests i was put off from bidding as they had US Alice type buckles on the pockets.

Also a couple of days ago a vest like yours was listed by someone but was pulled after a day so guess someone told the seller what they had or bought off auction which sucks

Also regarding boots there was an issue cold weather boot based on the WW2 SV boots. These resembled a regular DMS boots but were made with a commando sole and had a padded ankle top to them.

Comment

Its scary that I used to wear this kit, and most got binned! Makes you want to become a hoarder.

Comment

im a total cold war gear junky mate what can i say!!!!!! its a period that isnt really covered in airsoft much & the kit is fairly easy to come by (58 pattern webbing). the problems start when you look for 66 & 68 pattern clothing to go with it!! time and patience!

the 72 pattern vests...well, i had seen them in the book Bravo Two Zero about 13 years ago or so and always wanted to know what they are and Really wanted one! i got the silvermans copy a couple of years ago. it was ok for airsoft and the like, but its not Real & not for collecting!!! i actually found both mine on ebay mate! i paid & £46 & £68 each for them!! both are mint condition except the top one has had paint on it at some point and someone has attempted to remove it. been told its GW1 issue.

truth be told, i was watching that vest that got pulled too!!!! :D but theyre not for sale im afraid as ive not long had them.

heres a better shot of them. the light doesnt do them justice theyre more of an olive drab colour.

Comment

Originally posted by URI ORLOV View Post
                  im a total cold war gear junky mate what can i say!!!!!! its a period that isnt really covered in airsoft much & the kit is fairly easy to come by (58 pattern webbing). the problems start when you look for 66 & 68 pattern clothing to go with it!! time and patience!

the 72 pattern vests...well, i had seen them in the book Bravo Two Zero about 13 years ago or so and always wanted to know what they are and Really wanted one! i got the silvermans copy a couple of years ago. it was ok for airsoft and the like, but its not Real & not for collecting!!! i actually found both mine on ebay mate! i paid & £46 & £68 each for them!! both are mint condition except the top one has had paint on it at some point and someone has attempted to remove it. been told its GW1 issue.

truth be told, i was watching that vest that got pulled too!!!! :D but theyre not for sale im afraid as ive not long had them.

heres a better shot of them. the light doesnt do them justice theyre more of an olive drab colour.

Just hope im as lucky as you

68 patt dpm and 60patt OG i have a few bits spare but nothing in largish sizes if youre looking for any bits.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Brandon 35 Years old been playing airsoft since i was 9- the days before AEGs were the norm. Find out more about Brandon
                  Working...
                  X