British Army in NI during operation Banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Right the visor in 72 dated and the three point nylon chinstrap is too. Didnt check the liner or the shell as i imagine the visor fix could go on any old shell.

72 is relatively early tbh, given that we only went into Ireland in 69 and it only got really bad riot wise in 70.

Maybe two point chin straps are an economising version fitted later when they found you perhaps didnt need three points?

Strange eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
      Right the visor in 72 dated and the three point nylon chinstrap is too. Didnt check the liner or the shell as i imagine the visor fix could go on any old shell.

72 is relatively early tbh, given that we only went into Ireland in 69 and it only got really bad riot wise in 70.

Maybe two point chin straps are an economising version fitted later when they found you perhaps didnt need three points?

Strange eh?
      Sure is strange Gadge hence all my questions.

Most shells I have come accross are dated 50s. Also as far as I can tell once the visor attachments are fitted-thats it,a riot helmet forever as unlike the MK6 fittings they cannot be removed.

Cheers

Comment

I've not looked closely as i've only recently got mine but a lot of turtles i've seen in the past just looked like the had a steel curved cross bar fitted underneath and bolted on with the top bar.

Finding one with the visor still on it was tricky, luckily a teammate found one for me at sabre.

Comment

Great photos, yet again Gadge. Very picturesque location as well. Where is it if you mind me asking?

Comment

It's the 'National Tramway Museum' at Crich in Derbyshire. It's essentially a scratch built 1930s to 1950s village made by taking period buildings/bridges/walls stone by stone from bits of the country where they would have been demolished and rebuilding them along a kilometre or two or tram line.

They regularly have theme weekends. This was the annual 'Red Oktober' weekend wear the village represents East Berlin in the late 80s and they run DDR trams, cars and bus's all weekend. Most the re-enactor groups are warsaw pact but we went as 'Berlin Brigade' British Garrison. But the presence of 'uk street items' like a phone box, a pub and finding a chap dressed as a policeman made us decide to do some quick NI shots.

Glad you like em!

Comment

SAS

Rustys Rigs & Old School SAS/SBS Airsoft on Facebook & Old School SAS Airsoft on Instagram

Comment

Here are some photos of my early 70's 1 PARA N.I Kit I did last winter. I hope you like the photos. There are some details to improve and in which I been working lately, like The wooden parts of the SLR, a N.I patrol Gloves or a S6 Gas Mask and Pouch. Also the back ground of the photos is not as good as I would like, but it was what I had at the moment of the photos.

I hope you enjoy the photos and I will be happy to ear any Ideas to improve the Load Out.
                Thanks.

Kit List:

- Maroon Beret.
                - M69 Flack Vest.
                - Denison 1959 Smock 1PARA. (Date 1967)
                - Heavy Olive Jersey.(wolly Pully)
                - Ordinance Men's Shirt.
                - Pattern 58 Belt + Ammou Pouchs
                - Ligth Weight Trousers.
                - Putties.
                - DMS Boots
                - SLR L1A1 Rifle.

Comment

Even has the regulation 'tache!

Looking good bud...looking good.
                  There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

The only thing i'd do is either lose the sling or change it so it's attached to the rifle via the rear sling loop then secured to your right wrist with the other end.

You see this done a lot as rifles with slings were very easy to have pulled out of your hands or snatched off you by a kid wushing past on his bike.

Taping a local area map or list of 'vengeful' car indexs to the inside face of the but would be a period touch too.

Comment

If you wanted to portray a very naughty soldier you could mount a "Singlepoint" sight onto the top cover of your SLR.
                      I never saw it but a few blokes had them. When they were banned some by HQNI I am told that some guys took them out on taskings in their pocket and mounted them whilst on patrol.

By todays standards the single point is poop but it would give an authentic look.
                      And cheaper than buying an old SUIT sight.

Here's one

http://www.jcmilitaria.com/display_image.asp?ID=9240

Got to agree about the sling and the map/car reg's attached with elastic bands to the left side of the butt.

When not around the wrist we'd attach the sling end to the metal/vertical part of the carrying handle. But I don't know if that was a widespread practice.

If you've got a brown, 383A notebook make sure it's attached you your pocket with a bit of string.
                      And a green right angle torch with a red filter in the small pouch on the side of the right hand ammo pouch.
                      Used for stopping cars at night amongst other things.
                      Ain't no trouble in this world that can't be solved by the generous application of gin.

Comment

And a Bacon Banjo. On Homepride sliced, with ubercheap margarine, aka "slide", and some Daddy's Sauce to finish the culinary delight.
                        Best eaten in a plastic chair, with feet out in front of you with about thirty other blokes watching "The Tube" at 5pm on a Friday evening, while giving your opinions on what you'd do to Paula Yates. (or Muriel Grey if you were a pervert...)
                        Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

heheh, nice one.

Even my lady calls fried delights banjos now.

Craig and I were having some fried egg sarnies and referring to them as banjos years ago, she looked bemused so we explained and now she calls them that too!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Red Cuffs View Post
                          If you wanted to portray a very naughty soldier you could mount a "Singlepoint" sight onto the top cover of your SLR.
                          I never saw it but a few blokes had them. When they were banned some by HQNI I am told that some guys took them out on taskings in their pocket and mounted them whilst on patrol.
                          I dont doubt you for a minute but i'd have to question the usefullness as surely you'd lose your zero every time you took it on/off.

I mean good for observation but if you were using it to hit anything at range surely it would be counter productive.

I know i used to f**king hate being tasked with CWS on the '80 as it meant taking your SUSAT off and losing any accuracy you'd spent ages sorting.

Comment

Left hand kidney pouch contents :-
                            Small mess tin,
                            Boot cleaning kit,
                            Wash'n'shave kit

Right hand kidney pouch contents :-
                            Large mess tin,
                            2 x NATO standard bacon banjo,
                            1 x bottle panda pop.

(Compo sausage may substitute bacon in emergencies).

Yeah, Thank the heavens for the CWS.
                            IWS looked like a rifle mounted missile launcher.

As I remember the top cover slid on quite tightly so maybe it didn't matter too much. I only saw the old singlepoints that some lads had as souvenirs.
                            Removing the SUIT sight was meant to knack the zero too but the only one I ever had just fell off if you looked at it funny.
                            God Bless America ... inventors of the RIS Rail !!!

I got to say that my zero never seemed to suffer from removal/replacement of the SUSAT.
                            I was told that it should do, but I can't say it ever did.
                            However, it did seem to suffer remarkably after a night in the NAAFI followed by an early morning raid for underwear from the drying room of the females block.
                            Why?
                            'Cos a pair of those "apple-catchers" made a great sleeping bag liner !!!

"Apple-Catchers" didn't help my grouping or MPI though.
                            Last edited by Red Cuffs; 26 June, 2013, 00:17.
                            Ain't no trouble in this world that can't be solved by the generous application of gin.

Comment

Compo sausage? You poof.

Bacon grill. Food of the gods.
                              Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Bacon Grill !!!
                                NANCY-BOY !!!

"Biscuits AB" dunked in "Screech" !!!

Better than "Pro Plus".
                                Last edited by Red Cuffs; 26 June, 2013, 00:31.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X