Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Army in NI during operation Banner

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
    There's one up in the sales section now John.

Plus: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=p5197.c0.m619

Check that rarity out. A nice little win on the lottery should see you right mate.
    A nice price!

I think you ought to buy it for your SLR as at the moment my SA-58 is stockless and looking very sorry for itself!

Comment

Thought I would share my project and kit for some inspiration and/or feedback by you true Britts:

Operation Banner
      1 Para early 70'ties

Bigger pic: http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6547/guardsj.jpg

Bigger pic http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/169/censoredm.jpg

Bigger pic http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1...ardbayonet.jpg

Ref pics:

Kitlist
      RS Mk III helmet
      RS Riot visor (belonging to the helmet above)
      RS Para Mk II helmet (dated 1956)

RS Para basker (Compton & Webb, awarded to a gurkha after completing P-Coy 1970)
      RS Para Cap badge (Queens, staybright should be issued in the 60'ties)
      RS Shirt KF *
      RS Denison Smock, 59 pattern *
      RS M1952A, 3/4 collar flak jacket (manufactured 1968)
      RS L1A1 bayonet *
      RS Para wings (came with the smocken)
      RS DZ flashes 1 Para (can not put a date on these)
      RS 58 pattern webbing (urban patrol: belt, left and wright mag pocket & water bottle pocket)
      RS 58 pattern water bottle + cup
      RS S6 respirator + bag (with the older filter with a round breathing hole, unfortunattley it's not seen in these pics)
      RS Shell dressing (dated 1954)
      RS 60 pattern trousers *
      RS 58 pattern webbing belt
      RS short pattern puttees *
      RS DMS boots *

Gun
      Ares L1A1 (with RS Einfield gunsling)

* = because of the limited time of issueing these items should be from the period before 1980.

Comment

I have never seen a Denison Smock until now! Does look pretty cool!

Comment

Evening folks - been away for a while with work, been home for a week and finally catching up with emails and the like. Spent yesterday wandering around the Barbican in Plymouth after Mrs Hawke had enough of me loafing around the house and found a repro 1959 Pattern Smock in Size Mahoosive, so I'm going to do a 1970's loadout. Time to grow my hair and sideys I think.
          Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Just bought a mk3 turtle shell helmet (falklands era). Now not wanting to appear a total newbie how do I tell which way it the front it it the small lip to the front or the larger lip?

Cheers

John

Comment

Sorted small lip to the front!

Comment

Originally posted by M0WBY View Post
                Sorted small lip to the front!
                Just need to find a visor now!

Comment

Couple of pics of my early/mid 70's impression , not 100% complete yet
                  Ignore the boots , not exactly in the right timescale ....

Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing

Comment

Nice kit, looks great!
                    Is that pouch closest to the front on your right hand side a buttpouch?? Weren't they not issued??
                    sigpic

Никто, кроме нас
                    Nobody, but us

Comment

Yeah it's a butt pouch , don't think they were issued but they certainly work well.
                      TBH there's far too much on my belt kit in those pics , should of slimmmed it down a bit but you know what a nightmare 58 patt is to assemble and get just how you like it ....

Comment

The 72 Pattern Denison looks essence. The wooly hat, though.. hmm...
                        Any opinions expressed by me may not be mine. I don't have opinions anymore. I have a mortgage and teenagers. I used to be a wild, party animal. Now I buy my trousers at M & S.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
                          The 72 Pattern Denison looks essence. The wooly hat, though.. hmm...
                          Yup, agree with that. Though DT may be going for the old "Cap comforter" look?
                          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Get a headover. The green saggy woollen hat has the look of tea cosy/train spotter about it. I also agree with his own comments about belt kit, it does look a bit busy. Belt with FFD taped to it and a butyl nylon S6 pouch. As for the boots, they make me twitch! So does that lovely wood kit SLR, but for different reasons.
                            Interestingly, I read AFN Clarke's book "Contact" again for the first time in 20 + years while I was away. There is a bit in there where he says that flak jackets were worn under the Denison, to make the wearer look bigger and more invincible. I remember that style of body armour; heavy and horrible. I would never wear one of those again, especially for something I'm ostensibly doing for "fun".

Comment

The butt pouch was an issue item and developed for use in NI, whether it was actually used there is a different matter!!!!

I agree regarding the hat in that that particular hat looks awful and spoils an otherwise fantastic set up,as suggested invest in a headover or a slightly less tea cosy looking beanie hat

Comment

Fair comments on the headwear front , but lets face facts gents ... it's essentially a Para loadout and there's no chance in hell I would ever contemplate wearing a maroon which would be the first choice of headwear , bad hair day and the hat was to hand at the time so appologies for spoiling the look I'm sure I can source somthing a little more suitable along with some new boots...

@Hawke ... I've removed the filler from the body armour which was 90% of the weight , I was kinda using this clip as a rough reference , slightly different type of body armour , I think mine is later version with the additional rubber pads on the shoulders.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_PvrhTAT4

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

M0WBY Born in 68 when the troubles in NI were just about to kick off! Find out more about M0WBY
                                Working...
                                X