• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Contemporary British Loadout

That's how I turned my recoil m4 into a L119

Comment

What do folks consider a 'fairly standard' pouch loadout with the osprey vest?

I'm guessing 3 open mag pouches, atleast 2 utility camelpack for water. Anything beyond that?

Comment

Depends on personal preference but I would say what you said along with one or two AP grenade pouches and a medic pouch.
        The medic pouch is pretty standard to have attached whilst out on deployment and in the field.

Comment

think I'm kinda there. Osprey cover which has side covers and neck protector too. Front section that hides the velcro waist straps. Medic pouch, 2 ap grenade pouchespecially, 2 utility pouchespecially, 3 open top single mag pouches and a 9mm pouch.

Comment

sounds like a good setup, if you haven't got one you may also want to consider an Osprey single point sling. Got one on my osprey, secures on a molle loop on the rear of the vest, comes over the shoulder and secures to my rifle. Its a great piece of kit, allows you to do tasks such as prepping a grenade or swapping to you secondary without having to put down you primary or having it across the body which restricts movement and access to pouches, just hangs down securely ready for the rifle to be shouldered and you can unclip it when needed very quickly.

Comment

Could any of you fine folks help me out with the pouch layout for osprey for normal SOP's (can then modify it suit myself).
              I have mk4 osprey, the side panels are fitted, i think they're called the cumberbunds (which are attached to the main panels). It also has the 2 piece half collar attached and the ops panel.
              Pouch wise i have to attach.
              Commanders pouch, Medic pouch, 2 utility pouches, 3 single mag (sa80) open top pouches, 2 ap grenade pouches and a 9mm pouch.
              Reading through this thread and looking at pics until i am crosseyed, isnt really giving the answers to the 'where' questions for the various pouches.

Comment

Lots of different units do it differently, however I think orders are that nothing should go on the front where it can be blown off your body and into your face.

Comment

Also, I don't think the shoulders and collars are used by some units on patrols, but I believe the side plates are always used.

Comment

I agree with Rich83, it comes down to personal preference and the units fighting orders that's why there is no set layout. When using cummerbunds the idea is to have the pouches more to the sides but when using an ops panel they can be positioned on the centre of the vest. I've tried to model my vest on the standard soldiers layout however I use an ops panel. Typically the medic pouch goes on the right far side. The commanders pouch goes on the centre of the vest using the top row of molle loops. The three quick release ammo pouches should be on the cummerbund side which your reloading hand is on or if using the ops panel they can also be put more centred. the two AP grenade pouches typically go one on each side on the corner of the front of the vest. The 9mm pouch can go anywhere but I prefer it next to the commanders pouch. The utility pouches can go anywhere but I would put them on the left side of the vest to equally distribute the weight. I have attached an image of my vest to give you a better idea for where the pouches are positioned but they should be positioned where you feel comfortable with them. Also Rich83 is correct the collar and brassards are not normally worn on standard patrols, only where there is a significantly higher threat level but side plates should be worn regardless to threat level or type of operation.
                    Just my two cents- seb298
                    Attached Files

Comment

I reckon Seb's 2c is worth more than that and pretty accurate on the pouch placement, especially the medic pouch as everyone has them in the same place so you know where to get your mates dressings when he gets injured.

RE the other pouches, I agree with Seb again, but am fairly sure that mags are at the very least discouraged from being placed under the face for the risk of secondary frag.

Personally, when I used an Osprey for softing I had three open tops on the Ops panel, a Sharp shooter pouch on my left of it (with three more mags in) and that covered my ammo. I pit snacks in my medic pouch (the loops are great for Mars Bars!) and a until pouch on each side, but round the back a bit so it didn't impact my prone or my arms.

I did my set up specifically for what worked for me for softing, and not for an accurate load out. I am pretty sure my profile PIC on this forum is me in my osprey.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking of putting the 3 open mag pouches on the ops panel at the front, then the 2 ap grenade pouches either side of the mags.
                        I had seen the medic pouch was always right side, so i guess putting both utility the opposite side for balance would be an idea.
                        My commanders panel has a 9mm mag as part of it, so i might pair the other 9mm next to it.
                        I am guessing if you get a pistol, you put the holster onto the riggers belt or a drop leg holster?

Comment

Rich you are 100% correct about the mags being on the centre of the vest. I only have mine on the centre for more comfort and ease of access when I use the vest for softing.
                          Great idea by the way about the medic pouch loops, might try that next time I use it.

- - - Updated - - -

for the pistol holster either the belt or a drop leg holster would be fine. I have seen a few images of guys mounting a holster where the commanders pouch would be positioned on their vests but again its what feels the best and most convenient to access.

Comment

So it seems it is very much personal preference when it comes to the pouch lay out aside from the medic pouch which goes right side for simplicity across all troops.

Guess with the pistol holster i will try it once i get hold of it and have everything assembled.

Trying to be accurate to the gear/loadout but also remain practical to airsoft. Aka i wont be running oabout with armour plate in, will wear a mk6 helmet if i can find a mk7 etc.

Comment

Well after a spell of theraputically ripping velocro, swearing at press studs, looking confused and realising how heavy the osprey is even without plates.
                              I finally got the plate carrier arranged. In doing so i discovered its not the mk4 osprey but the mk4a osprey. not sure how different they are in reality though.

Anyways. Heres a few pics, if you see anything glaringly wrong then please point it out.

Front

Left side

Right side (i have since moved the AP grenade pouch up to the a row on the molle straps for a bit more ease of reach)

Rear (The hydration clips have been removed until i get a pack to put on).

So there you have it, my first tentative steps into modern british equipment. I can't decide if i should use the half size neck protector or not. Having been shot in the throat with a paintball, a wussy part of me says yes. But i also know the neck protector isnt part of the 'light role' layout, so a srim scarf may be a better idea.

Comment

Dude first time I spent an hour or more setting up my osprey my thumbs were raw and bleeding from the press studs!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Slava Find out more about Slava
                                Working...
                                X