Need help with a PMC/SAS/SWAT type loadout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with a PMC/SAS/SWAT type loadout

MY team use entire black kit for urban, so I've seen a few variations on it, we generally go for an SAS/SWAT inspired look, although not a proper impression. This is an old picture of my loadout, it's altered alittle bit and now I use an MP5 too.

P1000854 copy by Jay 8, on Flickr

For summer instead of gas mask I use a half mask and baseball cap. Likely thats the way I'd go with an M14, it gives you the impression of police/PMC - and since an M14 isn't a CQB weapon its a good loadout for a support marksman.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay8 View Post
      For summer instead of gas mask I use a half mask and baseball cap.
      Thanks for the info, you look cool! What gas mask do you use? I was actually thinking of using one, but I'm not sure how much ballistic protection they give (and they might steam easily).

Comment

I use an FM12, similar to the more common S10, although it's meshed by hero shark. That helps alot with air circulation and makes it airsoft safe, a standard gasmask isn't safe for airsoft unless it has ballistc lenses, and even then it is hot. I'll try and get some shots of my new gear next time I am at an urban skirmish, although in general it's moved towards a lighter and faster loadout with the mask only required in sites which allow close range full auto, I've also switched to black Crye style trousers - my local CQB site is lethal , nails everywhere, don't fancy kneeling without some protection.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jay8;1052341although it's meshed by hero shark.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of Hero Shark before, but after doing a few searches and looking at the website, their products actually look very tempting. Do you recommend them? The holes in the mesh they use are bigger than standard... has this made any difference to you? I saw one review which said it's easier for fragments of BB to penetrate easier because of this.

The idea of finding a suitable gas mask and them having mesh fitted into it is an interesting one, I might research more into it.

Also thanks for the pics of your loadout

Comment

Heroshark is a guy rather than a big company, h's a member here, runs his airsoft mesh company as a sideline I believe. I'd strongly reckomend his stuff, I use a Heroshark converted FM12 or Heroshark Mako goggles for a lighter setup. I think the bigger mesh makes vision clearer and aids air circulation. I guess theoretically it might mean BBs are more likely to shatter through but I've never had that problem at all, and I find I close my eyes instinctively when BB's hit my face protection anyhow, so hopefully were any to shatter the mesh gives me time to close my eyes. Only time I don't use Heroshark gear is when I use ESS, and since they are a real company supplying to defence departments, that says alot.

I'd go for a larger size if you want a gas mask, a size 1 or 2. I wear a size that would be too large for me were I actually wanting it to stop chemicals, but which is the most comfy and allows the best air circulation, which is what it's about for airsoft. They are also one of the few forms of full face that look good and won't impact weapon shouldering too badly.

Comment

If your looking for a cheap black vest which already has pouches on it, There is a Viper one (which i cant post a link to on here ) which is only about £25-30 and the pouches fit 99% of mags out there (fits my AK mags in with a tiny bit hanging out the top).

Alot of people dislike the viper gear but for the amount you will wear it i don't think you can go wrong for the price

Comment

^^^ Yes, I've decided on the Viper LA vest like i said. Just trying to find one for cheap now!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay8 View Post
                  I find I close my eyes instinctively when BB's hit my face protection anyhow, so hopefully were any to shatter the mesh gives me time to close my eyes.
                  Why bother wearing goggles at all in that case? You might as well just use your ninja reactions to not get hit in the first place?

Comment

Before this turns into 'mesh will make your eye explode if you are hit' argument, why not back it up with evidence, I'm not talking about 1 picture, I'm talking a stack of it, scientific evidence if you wish.
                    It seems shooting glasses are bad, mesh is bad, there's probably an argument against most goggles too.
                    The site I regularly frequent has mesh masks for rent, out of the thousands of rentals, private parties and corporate days we have had, no one has had the issue a small number seem to rant about.
                    section 24 of the 1968 Act
                    Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                    1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                    2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

That's not the point I'm making.

If you are willing to accept the possibility of fragments making it through a pair of mesh glasses (as the above player is, since he mentioned it), the idea of trusting your reflexes to blink in time is ludicrous.

Note: Before anyone goes on a crusade about "how I'm biased and trying to bring mesh goggles into disrepute so advertisers in Ai can sell more ESS/Smith/WileyX glasses" I actually own mesh goggles and have used them for extended periods of time..."

Comment

I didn't bring up BBs shattering, I have never had anything of the sort happen to my eye protection, since I was asked about it, I said I hadn't found it a problem but since people go on about it, I am not going to rule out the possibility. It would be stupid to say something CAN'T happen just because it hasn't happened to me.

I stand by though the fact that when I get hit in the face, I blink, this is an instinctive reaction. Now this obviously doesn't negate the need for eye protection as you facetiously implied, since there is nothing to react to when a BB comes flying toward you, other than the gun itself firing. If however a BB impacts your face protection it makes a noise, and often you see it. Both light and sound travel faster than BBs, especially ones that have been slowed when hitting (and theoretically fragmenting against) your eyeprotection. I trust that I am going to have my eyes closed a split second after my eye protection gets hit my BBs, whether I am wearing ballistic glasses or mesh.

I maintain I am much more likely to injure myself running into a nail, a wall, a flight of stairs or another person wearing fogged glasses than I am likey to get hurt from BB fragments through mesh. Also worth noting that beside the physics/reaction time arguement on the fact that you are most likely to close your eyes to prevent debris hitting them after the initial hit, there is also the point about mesh sizes. Holes in mesh are usually between 1mm and 3mm diameter, a BB is obviously 6mm diameter, from experience when BBs shatter it is most commonly in half - meaning the fragments are usually still 5/6mm in one direction of the other, they would have to shatter into a small cloud to penetrate most mesh, and plastic simply doesn't behave like that. Mostly when people get things in their eyes from mesh, it's chipped paint from where the mesh has been painted. I think it distinctly unlikely and a miniscule risk compared to all the other ways I could hurt myself, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

If you're quite done being a smartass, maybe you should get down to proof reading the next issue of AI, god knows it needs it.

Comment

Ho ho ho... The old Ai spelling joke... Good one. Check out a recent issue, it's a lot better than it used to be.

Even traveling at 10ft a second, a fragment will cross the distance between the mesh and your eye faster than the time it takes you to physically move your eyelid across your eyeball. I'm not being a smartass about anything, you are just wrong in your assumption that you can blink fast enough.

Whether any fragments that did make it through would be carrying enough energy to do anything serious is a different matter.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

JRTIGHE Find out more about JRTIGHE
                          Working...
                          X