Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Afghanistan, ~1984/5

Originally posted by AlexLM View Post
    Oh no I only meant to bleach the chicom itself, can't be doing with an entire vest.
    Ah,ok. My misunderstanding

I wouldn't bother with a lifchik unless you're planning to do a Chechnya impression. Except for the very rare type 1, lifchiks never made it to Afghanistan so you're much better off with a chicom.

As for the hair you see a few guys with shaved heads buts its mostly longer and there is even the occasional mop head. Most are still clean shaven too (or they have a nice 80s tash), unless they've been on long ops- which as MR is unlikley. Alex's hair could be a touch shorter, mainly on the back & sides but otherwise its fine. The main problem is he just looks too clean and the specs don't fit but I'm sure he'll correct that when he does some proper photos with the full kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzy View Post
      And maybe some of this
      Instantly reminding me of this.

Liking this.
      - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Chest-rigs were used in Afghan, but they were home-made, soldiers took the lining out of some body-armour or belt pouches and sewed them together, that's where the chest-rig was born .Liftchigs would work as some were in service, but it was moslty home-made rigs that resembled the chi-com.

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

When I say lifchik I mean the factory made types that were issued, not the field made versions. They're something else entirely and you can't buy them easily. Obviously its a generic term so it can get confusing so I tend to stick calling the issue one lifchiks and the rest just field made vests.

Only a type one factory made lifchik would be useable for an Afghan war impression as they were introduced in 1987. If you can find one of them you're very lucky and all I can say is well done.
          Type 2s were first made in 1988 but there is zero evidence of them being used Afghanistan. You can still find originals of these but there are many repros as well so you have to be careful. Conversely some of the poorer repros might actually pass for field made rigs as they don't look alot like the real thing.Why no one has ever repro'd the type 1 I don't know, they'd sell a load.

Realistically a chicom is the only readily available chest rig I'd recommend buying. Otherwise it is a case of making one yourself like they did unless by chance you come across one thats been done for you. The limit to making your own is your imagination, but there are plenty of pics for inspiration.

Comment

Alternatively, you can always get a 6B3, comfortable and sexy vest in my opinion, since I own one myself. :D

I wasn't really planning on selling it...curious what kind of offer I can get for it though...

Да, да, я - Русский.

Comment

Finish one imp[ression? No, I think i'll get two other uniforms instead! (three if you count the KZS suit I've had for like 2 months)

Summer Mabuta VDV/KGB/GRU commando uniform:

M69 Hebe proleconscript uniform:

Things I need:
              Entrenching tool
              Collar liners
              RD-54 webset
              Chicom chest rig
              6b2/3 ballistic vest
              bayonet with frog
              pilotka hat/afghanka kepi/ssh60 helmet
              Tely shirt
              Signature Removed

Comment

here it is my las work: an AK74, with burnish treatment

Comment

Originally posted by AlexLM View Post
                  Finish one imp[ression? No, I think i'll get two other uniforms instead! (three if you count the KZS suit I've had for like 2 months)

Summer Mabuta VDV/KGB/GRU commando uniform:

Things I need:
                  Entrenching tool
                  Collar liners
                  RD-54 webset
                  Chicom chest rig
                  6b2/3 ballistic vest
                  bayonet with frog
                  pilotka hat/afghanka kepi/ssh60 helmet
                  Tely shirt
                  Looks good, you should come to one of our Cold War games, Sept 18th is the next one. We always need more Russians

Comment

Just to freshen up this Post, this was my take on a VDV Urrah! Urrah! Urrah!( check out POTA 9 for the providence) or if you just use the Trophy Bra for Motor Rifles if your Kommendier permits such things.

( I would lose the blades before pinging plastic balls about though)

Loaded RD 54

Trophy "Bra"

The field dressing is a 1980's dated british one so a permissible gag for the knowing, ( likely) MI 6 supplied matériel like medical supplies and 58 pattern British sleeping Bags to the "Duki", they were popular trophies to the Soviet Army, the UK field dressings being water proof and camouflaged, their own dating from the Great patrotic war not being.

Enjoy.
                    Last edited by Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah.; 2 September, 2012, 15:59.

Comment

Boots are german, 47 is still standing in for the 74 (i've got one undergoing repairs but it's all black so questionable if its any better, likewise the SVD is all black at the mo) and the hat may be a repro... off thing to repro but it's a slightly different cut to others i've seen. The afghanka is odd too, its' pretty early i think as it lacks the cargo pockets on the leg.

Comment

First post of pics, but here is my Alpha in Afghanistan LMG Gunner loadout. It is for Gunman Airsofts Cold War game on the 15th/16th Dec. I'll be GRU but I've copied pics of Alpha in Afghanistan. Its not 100% accurate as I've made some adjustments to be practical for airsofting rather than re-enactment (I'm an airsofter not a collector per-se). Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated (good or bad). Be kind as I've never posted pics of my gear up on here (I have a few Modern Russian loadouts that I'll perhaps post up later including 45th Guards VDV, Alpha Moscow, FSB ROSN, TSSN MVD, Vityaz MVD 2008)

Anyway here are the pics:

Alpha Afghan LMG Gunner '84

Comment

Looks great, Comrade Nellboy, but swap out those bright blue imperialist Puma trainers for some MOCKBA's ASAP!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of russian/eastern kit but I think that looks pretty cool.

Comment

I like your trainers, you have your ukara trainer license yet? then u can spray them black! just kidding haha nice loadout dude

Comment

Iirc the sovs did actually make some puma ripoffs as well as adidas, there's a pic somewhere of a desatnik in a-stan wearing a pair.

Anyway, there's some nice pics in here so I guess I'd better post some progress. I'd assume this is early war Motostrelki. Missing out the straps and pouches because I'm not in the mood to attach it all around the RD and then actually put the damn thing on. Still need a helmet. Didn't wear the KZS suit. The Hebe fits better around the waist than the last time I wore it, which is always nice!

Excuse the shitty lighting.

Signature Removed

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

AlexLM Find out more about AlexLM
                                Working...
                                X