infrared laser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: infrared laser

Oops- I meant 1mw legal limit not 5mw. 5mw is not legal in UK as far as I'm aware.
    Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

Thing is, not every laser coming out of hk is legal..... a lot are overpowered.... you need to understand something about the electromagentic spectrum.....

Visible lasers are one factor, dangerous in thier own right, but less so, green lasers are used to map ocean floor topography, FROM SPACE.... and you seem to think they are safe to shine in peoples eyes at that under 100m? Green is the most absorbed colour by the eye, brief exposure can cause lasting harm and many have said it.

Infrared is longer wave length, but higher power, and as such, being invisible to the naked eye, its harder for the eye to react to it.... as such, making it horrifically dangerous.

Green is not just a colour... not in the emr spectrum and the world as it is... trust me, it makes a huge difference, hence its daylight visibility... its THAT strong....

Comment

hehe kitten is dead right, and green is the 35 nano meter as i recall i used to play around with lasers alot, for anyone wanting to know more about lasers you can go here.
        http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm
        tis a bit heavy going, a simpler tool is this next link which given the specs of your EM module you can work out how much damage at what distance and over what exposure time you could get off a laser
        http://www.laser-professionals.com/r...easyhazweb.htm

also another thing to point out is that you dont notice retina damage untill youve lost about half of it as you brain fills in the gaps in your vision in the same way it does to fill in the gap in your vision where the optic nerve is in your eyeball.
        I rememebr back in the day one guy's friend accidently swept a beam a croos his mates face, and for that split second burnt out an arch in the retina in his left eye, he didnt notice it, but knew to see a doc, heposted the retinal image online and it was serious damage, but that was with a 100mw green laser though.
        back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

100mw- ouch. can't you boil water with that?

I was only assumming <5mw lasers being banded about. <5mw green laser is very bright and does the job in daylight. Why you'd need more than 5mw for the distances we operate under is beyond me :-)

I still do not see danger with a (perfectly legal) <5mw green laser when used in a woodland environment with people wearing goggles that will very likely diffuse some energy, reflect energy and refract the remainder into a moving person who is blinking and not perfectly stationary. I would however certainly object to someone deliberately pointing the laser into someone's face- it's not necessary and is pointless.

The real use for the green laser is to mark oppo positions and not individuals- that's how they should be used.

Comment

very true, hehe actually i think it was back in '98 or so that the uk gov banned the general sale of lasers that were more than 1mw, because of a lot of cats getting blinded by kids.

Definately 5mw is fine for airsoft use and i doubt many actually are 5mw exactly though as most wattages are a maketing trick by which the maker doesnt put in the IR filter behind the lense which blocks out the really eye damaging stuff and then adds that invisible radiation emmited to whatever frequecy your meant to be getting(red green etc) and presto you now have a 5mw green laser thats actually only say 1.5mw of the green wavelength and the rest is just unfilterd crap.
            And as you said greenys are much more for position marking. and the eye protection will diffract it a bit but not much.
            Ah lasers are a lot of fun, wicked lasers . com is for fun, i had a 75 mw jobby (£300 odd) that i had to send back eventually as i gave me a headache using it after a while even though i was wearing true eye protection from EM radiation.
            plus they are very illegal to own and use, great for star spotting and putting on a mount and with a set of binocs(well actally massive newtonian telescope) to see with shining it onto an island 60 odd miles out to sea (mull :P)
            hehe no a 100mw (milliwatt) laser would boil water given time but so can anything, and it would have to be in a black cup. Just from a physics veiw if you put a cup of water in your microwave it will take a min or two to boil and thats using whatever Wattage you micro is, so milliwatts is a lot less energy output, but as a coherent beam it does get very hot indeed!!! i used to use mine to engrave leather and light my smokes with :P also great for home surgery to cauterise cuts with!!!

Comment

me does the black bodies dance and hopes SOMEONE knows shes not being racially preferential.

Comment

......If only Ibanez made airsoft guns

The early ones would be cheap clones as Ibanez guitars were :D

Comment

huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers View Post
                    ......If only Ibanez made airsoft guns

The early ones would be cheap clones as Ibanez guitars were :D
                    The Steve Vai floral pattern M4 would be badass. Also the carry handle would have been replaced with the monkey grip!
                    SAVE OUR SPORT
                    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

magic golem's signature

Originally posted by apmaman View Post
                      The Steve Vai floral pattern M4 would be badass. Also the carry handle would have been replaced with the monkey grip!
                      LOL with 7-shot magazine to boot

Comment

HAHA aye they were clones back in the day, but i mean they are just so good since the 80 when they really took off.
                        hehe a floral M4 with a monkey grip!..perhaps a jem 77FP would work well as camo> ...an MP7 stringer?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten View Post
                          T also, Invisible IR lasers are Higher on the EMR spectrum than even green or blue lasers...
                          Little while ago I know, but I want to pick you up on this... that is true but only in terms of wavelength, but red lasers are higher than green and blue lasers in terms of wavelength... Energy is the opposite. IR is lower energy than visible lasers. The lasers themselves may be more powerful sometimes, but fundementally IR radiation is less energetic.

Everything else I agree with. Especially the parts mentioned about not being able to see an IR laser, thus resulting in extended periods of absorption time. Green lasers in airsoft are potentially quite dangerous. Actually, there was a point about using green lasers from space to map the ocean floor that I dont agree with... that is not an argument per say, they use green because it has low absorption in water. Yes it is a higher energy than red lasers though.

100mw is rather powerful, sounds fun. We have a laser cutter which runs at 35mw ... and that will cut plastic and wood quite happily down to a cm or so without having to go too slowly...

Comment

Originally posted by magic_golem View Post
                            HAHA aye they were clones back in the day, but i mean they are just so good since the 80 when they really took off.
                            hehe a floral M4 with a monkey grip!..perhaps a jem 77FP would work well as camo> ...an MP7 stringer?
                            I personally play Steinberger headless. I suppose they'd be a Stubby Killer

Comment

Originally posted by MajorLandmark View Post

100mw is rather powerful, sounds fun. We have a laser cutter which runs at 35mw ... and that will cut plastic and wood quite happily down to a cm or so without having to go too slowly...
                              I couldn't be faffed to argue the point earlier but Yes, higher frequency equates to higher energy when I studied physics.

Now a laser at 100mw is an immediate action weapon!

We should all be limited to 5mw lasers- whatever the colour. We should also have some guidelines about their application and safety rules.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fingers Find out more about Fingers
                              Working...
                              X