Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Would a good camo paint job add or subtract from the resale value of an airsoft gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would a good camo paint job add or subtract from the resale value of an airsoft g

For every 10 paint jobs I have seen on a gun, 1 has been good enough to be a selling feature.

Of the rest, 2 were good enough not to detract from the value, the rest were devaluing the gun.

I have seen guns priced really low because of a terrible paint job and still not sell. Airsofters are quite rightly a rather fussy bunch. Anything customised to the point where you cannot swap a part out or unscrew something and you are risking serious money loss.

Comment

Re: Would a good camo paint job add or subtract from the resale value of an airsoft g

Even though I have never bought second hand, paint would put me off completely, even if it looked awesome (paint isn't my cup of tea really)... It may look good, but it's a mark left by a previous owner, it ends up feeling even more second hand.

As a compromise; if you're selling, respray it back (PROPERLY) to the original colour... However, as others have mentioned; the thought of a purchase turning out to be a bad job makes it even less desirable- maybe some internal pics when selling...?
      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies guys, the point which is now clear is that mostly it won't be devalued, it will simply lose a proportion of potentially interested buyers.

Comment

This might sound *really* stupid but I agree with a_flea in that painting is more of a mark of it being 'someone elses'

I suppose its a bit like selling your house... no matter how 'tasteful' your home decorating might be... every single estate agent will encourage you to paint the whole place white all over as new buyers want to see a blank canvas for their home, not picture themselves living in your 'life'.

To a lesser degree (and i'd not thought about it like that until the above post) it probably is a really good idea to respray back to the original finish before selling it on.

I once got given a brilliant 100 watt 2150 marshall valve amp and everyone thought it was junk because the previous owner had resprayed it to look like a bar of 'shield' soap and painted 'time to boogie' across the mesh where the marshall logo used to be... one massive overhaul, repaint and rebadge by me and its now at a point where people offer me silly money for it.. they wouldnt have looked twice at it in turquoise

Comment

I voted subtract.

I would only buy a painted rifle if it was at a lowish price compared to normal as I would have to spend time stripping it or re-painting it how I like.

Comment

I dont think a paint job subtracts from value, but i would never assume that by spraying it up I would ever get more money for it.

The only gun i ever painted was one that i had bought already painted in some horrendous colour scheme, which i turned back to black. I then did a krylon coat of tan over the top, but it was to break up the gun and make it fit in with my kit better. I sprayed it black again before selling...

Go figure eh?

Comment

on assault rifles then it would probably take away

but on sniper its a bonus but it wont add or subtract, just a bonus

Comment

Me personally would um and ah about a painted RIF where as stock I'd prolly snap it up, if it's a gun I wanted.

Comment

I think it depends a lot on the quality of the paintjob...

For example, I definitely pay extra for something like this. No doubt about it!

sigpic

Comment

And that is exactly where taste is subjective... you'd have to pay me to have that in my house let alone use it

Comment

lll

Comment

jjhjhjhjhj

Comment

I wouldn't really be interested in a painted gun, no matter how well it's done. I'd probably consider it if the gun was at an absolutely killer price and the painted parts would be easy and cheap to swap out.
                            I might consider a water transfer job, but only if I was planning on getting the same gun new with said finish in the first place.
                            A good 'sandbox' dust job wouldn't put me off though.

Comment

If its done nicely then i would buy a painted gun as it gets a tad tedious seeing the same old black or black/tan guns at every skirmish but it has to be done right or else it looks terrible, nothing worse than someone just laying a piece of scrim net over their gun and getting trigger happy with a spray can then laying the occasional "leaf stencil" here and there.
                              Roses are red,
                              Violets are blue,
                              In soviet russia,
                              Poem reads you!

Comment

as said it depends on type of gat and how well done the paint job is..
                                http://
                                The nomad only goes from point to point as a consequence and as a factual necessity: in principle, points for him are relays along a trajectory.” (Nomadology: The War Machine)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

GhostDivisionAirsoft I can am grammar Find out more about GhostDivisionAirsoft
                                Working...
                                X