Collapse

British Army Ration packs....Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army Ration packs....Question?

Hi all,

In my old bergain I have discovered a treasure trove of Ration pack left overs (Yummmy!) back from my training days.

My question to you all is........they all say packaging date 2004 but don't seem to have any form of use by date on them. I am safe to assume that this means as long as the packs etc are still sealed then it is safe to heat up and munch down on the old burger and beans???

Cheers

Chris

Re: British Army Ration packs....Question?

Think their shelf life was 3-4 yrs or summet, I'd still eat them though...
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

They have a stupidly long life, something like 10-15 years so yeah there fine to eat mate.

Comment

Originally posted by SgT BULLETPR00F View Post
        They have a stupidly long life, something like 10-15 years so yeah there fine to eat mate.
        I stand corrected, I always thought it was less... Unless I'm thinking of the previous generation.
        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Ive read the foil stuff lasts 10 + years from packaging date if kept cool. The old tinned stuff prob longer and recently read a guy eating tinned biscuits that were 25 years old and still 'crispy'

Comment

If you have some biscuit brown and pate send them my way to test

Comment

LMAO I remember once upon a time when I was in the Air Cadets...When we got to the gliding school my pilot officer pulled over and popped the bonnet on the car.

Whats he doing we asked..........retrieving his 1950s ration pack that he had just heated up in the engine bay on the run up there.

We were talking early 2000's here lol 50 year old haha

Put it this way ive got enough soup and NATO standard tea/coffe to sink a small ship. No pate unfortunately but the biscuit fruits and browns are plentyful p

Comment

You can never have enough Nato tea and coffee or biscuit brown that stuff is nuke proof

Comment

I wouldnt advise it. The pack dates we get only stay at the depot for a maximum of 6 months, when units demand them they should either use them all, or send back the left overs for disposal.

Basically, yes you can eat them. However it is at our own risk.

Comment

I've eaten more than my far share of this older than 6 months and am sure lots of others on here has

Comment

If you read the post it says PACK date. Not expiry date.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasty View Post
                        I've eaten more than my far share of this older than 6 months and am sure lots of others on here has
                        Still am. Nowt wrong with me. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhonnnnest!
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Lol, anyone remember the "white" rolo's?

Comment

Arabic Yorkies weren't nice

Comment

Jesus, i remember when you used to get the 'white' chocolate in the blue or red packs. Blue was biscuit and fruit chocolate, red was normal if i remember correctly.

Ive still got rat packs that are years old, and yeah they are normally alright to eat.

Its not biscuits brown with flies, its biscuits fruit btw! Horrible things, too much cinnamon in them!

My worst rat pack experience was when i get to my first unit and we went on exercise with some old arctic ration packs which had to be used up. The stuff was all dehydrated to prevent it freezing. Nothing like watching your food turn back to powder whilst its pissing it down in Sennybridge, and having to use up all your water for a bloody meal. Only saving grace in those things were the porridge oats and hot chocolate powder, which with a sachet of sugar were superb!

Jet boil and foil packaged rat packs. No better combo. No bloody hexi!

Oh, just so you know. If you run out of hexi, biscuit browns burn for a good couple of minutes. So do pringles, but the amount of fat on pringles is stupid. Dont believe me? Get a single pringle and set fire to it. Watch how much fat comes off it. I wont eat pringles ever again after seeing that 'experiment'.

Oh, and hexi TV!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Mole1811 Im a self confessed Airsoft nut! Just wishing he had the money to splash out on lots of new toys Find out more about Mole1811
                              Working...
                              X