Self aware sentry gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Self aware sentry gun

Thermal target tracking with a gun turret IS possible (and is in current use with HM armed forces), but it takes expensive electronics, including a thermal imager.
    The hard part is automatic target ID, and that's where the problem lies. The trigger on all the in-service systems is always on the control panel, not under the software control.

Comment

I'm not skeptical of the concept, these have been being built for ages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXONp8Q3KGY We live in the 21st century guys

A kill switch would be a simple thing to do. Sneak around the back and press a button. A hit plate designed to count number of strikes. Point infrared RPG at the IF receiver (Like Landwarrior airsoft already use for taking out the armored vehicle) etc etc.

I could see these being great fun used occasionally in airsoft if there was a good balance to them. Tercel's list is excellent.
      "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Here's an idea:

Set up a VSR with a pneumatic bipod and a monopod, mount a variable zoom camera on top, mount a simple mechanism to press the trigger on the trigger guard, mount another simple mechanism to pull the bolt remotely, set up two more cameras nearby to get a nice wide view, ghillie it all up and control the lot with a notebook remotely. Perhaps even hook up a PS3 controller and use it's trigger for firing.
        Originally posted by Lt. Macka
        big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

not sure about the posters but a good example of one is here
          sigpic
          Take Your Hit

Comment

You can already buy a version(s) here: http://www.realsentrygun.com/index.htm
            "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

The concept's been out for ages and there is an entire website devoted to open-sourcing the concept. It could even be possible to make it smart enough to recognise a raised arm, but you do need some wits about you to program such a feature. And yeah, 'self aware' seems a terrible choice of words... 'Autonomous' would probably be better, unless you actually mean it can rotate the POV and stuff like that, in which case you have built something pretty special there.

It's the application that is tricky. I don't think that something like this is something that an actual player would control. Rather a game coordinator/martial, who keeps a careful eye on it (much like the UAV conversation we keep seeing). Or it could even be used as a really cool way to block off a location which is not currently in use!

Differentiating between Friend and Foe is a big thing for these kinds of devices though, and HARD to do in a generic way using only vision, even with uniform restrictions. So... it'll be interesting to see people come up with applications for such a device

I am all for integrating tech in airsoft though. Good luck with the project and I am keen to see what you can do with it

Comment

the coding wouldn't be to hard and you could use a kinect as the SDK contains the API for gesture recognition already so it would be extreamly simple for it not to fire at anyone with a raised arm and there are plenty of ways to get it to only fire on enemy targets
                sigpic
                Take Your Hit

Comment

Wouldn't you then get people walking past it arms raised just to not get shot, and once past start again?

Comment

Originally posted by Finnez View Post
                    Wouldn't you then get people walking past it arms raised just to not get shot, and once past start again?
                    don't know about your site but if you raise your arm and start walking with it in the air you are dead no matter if you was hit or not there is no coming back to life until you respawn.
                    sigpic
                    Take Your Hit

Comment

Originally posted by No1_sonuk View Post
                      Sounds like automated blind-firing to me.
                      Exactly what i was thinking.

Also think of the overkill, People bitch when hit by a shower from a 40mm, and they don't hurt for sh1t.

Comment

good idea but not being funny if i was already hit and it was fireing auto at me constantly or say it was in a room and i couldnt get back out the door or fell over the first thing id do is go and rip it to shreads!!

- - - Updated - - -

good idea but not being funny if i was already hit and it was fireing auto at me constantly or say it was in a room and i couldnt get back out the door or fell over the first thing id do is go and rip it to shreads!!

Comment

Originally posted by javaoverride View Post
                          don't know about your site but if you raise your arm and start walking with it in the air you are dead no matter if you was hit or not there is no coming back to life until you respawn.
                          Yeah yeah that's right but what I'm saying is wont people pretend their hit, (cheat) so they can pass the turret? Especially if there isn't a Marshall around. People cheat!

Comment

Originally posted by Finnez View Post
                            Yeah yeah that's right but what I'm saying is wont people pretend their hit, (cheat) so they can pass the turret? Especially if there isn't a Marshall around. People cheat!
                            People cheat setry gun or no, and if the sentry's used to block a pathway then passing through alive would be evidence of cheating.
                            Originally posted by Lt. Macka
                            big black shapes draw the eye.

Comment

Peronally think it would ruin a game day, unless there was some form of sensor on it that means you could shoot it and then disable it for an amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jssmitty96 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So what do you do when people shoot you when you're dead currently, do you sneak over to their stuff at lunchtime and smash their gun up?
                                - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
                                - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Gee123 Find out more about Gee123
                                Working...
                                X