500fps shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 500fps shotgun?

Well, its not blown up yet, but may upgrade the spring soon which will make it fun. Thought I'd just bring news of what I've been doing with it now: This morning I did a little bit of tinkering and have successfully made the hop unit compatible with AEG barrels and buckings. Basically just had to file an bit of the plastic casing. Is nice and snug now without any play in it. Feeds perfectly.
    Not yet had a chance to try it at range as my little back yard is only 12m long. Has reduced the FPS down from 420 to 338, which I'm putting down to only having a CQB length 6.04 to hand.
    So now, just to wind up people who find the scope on a shotgun annoying. I'm thinking go with a longer inner barrel and a nice big mock suppressor on it.

Comment

What's the compression like on it? These must take aeg or pistol hop rubbers surely?! I've never looked inside a shotty before and am now interested to see what else you can do!

Edit: Didn't see there was a second page lol! Damn phone... (Poor workman...)
      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by DJB266 View Post
        What site allows 500fps even for bolt action snipers???? If you shot me with that it would go down your throat followed by my foot!
        We allow up to 550fps for bolties or factory produced semi-only sniper rifles.

If you got shot with one of those i would suggest you improve your fieldcraft as your suggested course of action would see you with a lifetime ban and your details passed on to all other site owners we know!

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
          What's the compression like on it? These must take aeg or pistol hop rubbers surely?! I've never looked inside a shotty before and am now interested to see what else you can do!

Edit: Didn't see there was a second page lol! Damn phone... (Poor workman...)
          It takes a bit of creativity to adjust. The one I have has lots of plastic inside it, including the cylinder. Not at all sure if I can replace it with anything better and retain the functionality. The whole cylinder moves to feed the BB.

The hop unit is pretty odd, the inner barrel it comes with is basically just a tube that then fits into a plastic attachment that duplicates the end of an AEG barrel. It was a bit fiddly to take it apart without breaking it, but I managed. The hop bucking then just needs to be trimmed down and it fits in lovely. I think there are a few issues with the compression as it stands at the moment (getting only 340 out of a 1.5j spring would suggest it to me), but nothing some systematic sealing can't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Figjam View Post
            I think 500fps is rooted somewhere in UK law, like 350 for full auto is,
            375 actually...sites use 350 as a max to leave a bit of safety room.

500 is fine, 550 is fine...to be honest i always feel sorry for snipers i watch them desperately try to be a sniper and in airsoft it just isnt that effective. On any site where you have distances that allow the use then your also going to be fighting the wind (and loose) unless your lucky and there isnt any...in which case you have to hope they dont notice you shooting at them so they dont step out of the way of the shot, in which case the shot has to hit hard enough that someone who isnt paying attention will feel it....so stronger the better. not sure of the law but i think for single action guns its very high indeed

Comment

Cheers. Always good to have a firm grasp of these facts.

I agree. Most people with sniper rifles seem to have a very disappointing time. The guys I know of who do get effective results have invested a lot of dedication and not a little cash into their efforts.

For me this is mostly a learning experience. Trying to get interesting results out of something that if I mess up its not a terrible waste. Its why I'm sharing as people's comments will hopefully be useful.
              Originally posted by messy View Post

500 is fine, 550 is fine...to be honest i always feel sorry for snipers i watch them desperately try to be a sniper and in airsoft it just isnt that effective. On any site where you have distances that allow the use then your also going to be fighting the wind (and loose) unless your lucky and there isnt any...in which case you have to hope they dont notice you shooting at them so they dont step out of the way of the shot, in which case the shot has to hit hard enough that someone who isnt paying attention will feel it....so stronger the better. not sure of the law but i think for single action guns its very high indeed

Comment

Originally posted by messy View Post

Actually it's 1.35J which is about 381 fps with a 0.20g BB. NOWHERE in the firearms act does it distinguish between full auto, semi auto and single action weapons. The 1.35J limit is where a study has shown that a projectile can penetrate the skin. If you shoot someone with an airsoft gun and it punctures their skin, you've just shot someone with a section 5 firearm.

The sniper thing is bollocks, they need to stick to the same energy limits as all other airsoft guns, but sites stick a minimum engagement distance on their use. Makes it a bit more kosher, but as soon as people are bleeding, in the eyes of the law, that's a lethal firearm.
                Buy my stuff!

Comment

im probably getting mixed up but still....

i was fairly sure that air rifles generating more than 12ft lbs are considered firearms and require licensing, below that do not which would mean a fps max over over 1000. The legal definition of an airgun BEGINS at 1ft lbs.

there is a section of the fire arms act (1988 amendment 1 (2) (a). ) that when defining a prohibited weapon says "any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger;"

i dont think there is any case evidence that prove or disproves whether the full auto thing applies to airguns but I wouldn't fancy my chances if i were defending against it :/

not sure about teh breaking skin thing - which section is that from?

Comment

its airsoft law, 50% BS, 49% burocratic stupidity and 1% their to keep us safe.

can we please get back to the far more intresting project the OP sugested and leave airsoft law discussion to one of the other hundred threads it has infested.

personaly i was planning somthing similer with a spring pistol but this has grabbed my intrest, please keep us informed of the project progress, its intresting to see how these thing turn out

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Figjam Find out more about Figjam
                    Working...
                    X