A sniping innovation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sniping innovation?

I have been known to frequent another forum for Airsoft snipers. The original poster of this piece is a well thought of chap who has built his own barrels, hpa engines and offers a mod/upgrade service. He honestly seems like quite a switched on engineer which is why the following piece caught my eye. Your thoughts please, is it something you would consider or are we happy with things as they are in sniping?

Okay guys I want to get some input but please base your opinions or thougts on just the area under discussion. As for the how and all that I have it under control. Backspin, some others and myself have discussed this at great length.

If you could shoot 2" groups at 300' would you be willing to carry less ammo and do a little prep work before playing. We are talking about mags closer to RS in terms of round count, something like 8-10 rounds per mag.

You would be molding your own rounds. Yes it would be easy to do and the mold would come with the rifle.

I really want to go this route for SO many reasons. The only reason I can come up with not to do it is re-spawns and cheating. Both of these subjects require the use of more rounds and therefore detract from the whole concept. They may not have as flat of a path as a hopped BB but the consistency would be amazing. It would also be more like shooting a RS sniper rifle.

Please base you thoughts on the final paragraph in terms of reasons to do or not do this. The rest has been sorted out. We have addressed the whole idea of the shape of the round, the weight, safety, etc.

I believe this is the next step in air soft sniping.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

There isnt enough info here but I would be interested in reading more about this.

If I could achieve that id be happy to carry 20 round in a game.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Re: A sniping innovation?

I've been reading that thread with great interest.

It's essentially a rifle, as I understand it. Not a cannon like we use at the moment.
      “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

The cast round is bullet shaped but the rifle will be able to fire a 6mm bb in order to get through chrono. You will be able to cast rounds of differing weights too. As trouble said I think we're looking at a rifled barrel.
        There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

I have seen someone online put 8mm BBs into 7.92×57mm Mauser rounds, with no main charge (just the primer), and fire them at 400+ FPS through a Gewehr 98. No idea if the rifled barrel gave it any accuracy, but to get the gunshot sound and ejecting shells was nice. I'd imagine it could shot pretty far if you had a hop up, and you can't get much more realistic than a real gun!

Comment

More info needed, interest is developing.
            King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
            https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
            www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Terrible idea if it wasn't available to AEGs, which it obviously wouldn't be unless it was mass produced. Not because it wouldn't be amazing to shoot like that, but it would just force everyone to use them if they wanted to stay competitive, no?
              Woodland would devolve into nobody moving, 20 people in ghillie suits each side.

Also, as is said above, that post tells us very little. Would it require rifled barrels? If not, how on earth is a smooth-bore rifle going to fire 2" groups at 300'?

Comment

Some more info, answering some points

Originally Posted by sanguinor

At 25 dollars for a pound of material, how many rounds are you expecting to make with them?

Would the mold be for at least 10 rounds & would you sell extras as well?

Would you provide the material or would you allow people to source their own?

With a different shaped round, how would it measure up for FPS tests? Would you beable to put a .2 gram bb through to prove you are meeting the standards?

I love the idea of it, it's implementing it into a cost effective, consistent and safe manner that concerns me!

Excellent questions and I will answer them and then hopefully you can give some input based on just the criteria I mentioned. I realize your questions are completely valid so I will give more detail.

The mold will make 10 per pour. material can be sourced anywhere someone chooses. The price I quoted is from a manufacturer I trust and it is the price they charge for the material. You could even use different densities of material to vary the weight of the round.

The rifle would still shoot 6mm BB's just for chrono purposes so we can prove to refs they are safe to play with.

The materials I have been looking at have a pretty low viscosity and will pour bubble free with very little effort. It doesn't out gas and a little tooth pick twirl would remove any bubbles from the pour.

1lb converted purely (not adding for waste) should yield 1500 rounds at .45g per round. They could be even lighter.

This has been in the note book for a while.

These would be purely for the rifle I am designing. There really is no way I can think of to load them in an existing rifle.

Before some one gets their drawers in a knot asking why this is in this forum. I put it here so I could collect the valuable information I need from my fellow snipers.

CSO

Comment

I've often wondered how a BB would fly with no hop but rifled. Presumably very accurate but not as great a range. Shape the projectile into a bullet and send it through a rifled barrel and things become very interesting...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TriggerHappy View Post
                  Terrible idea if it wasn't available to AEGs, which it obviously wouldn't be unless it was mass produced. Not because it wouldn't be amazing to shoot like that, but it would just force everyone to use them if they wanted to stay competitive, no?
                  Woodland would devolve into nobody moving, 20 people in ghillie suits each side.

Also, as is said above, that post tells us very little. Would it require rifled barrels? If not, how on earth is a smooth-bore rifle going to fire 2" groups at 300'?
                  Well don't stand around winding your high caps, keep on the move or in cover ;-)
                  “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

Didn't sign up to fight an army of chewbaccas!

Comment

I see your point but have to disagree. An aeg has x10 more rounds even if running mid caps. It also has a full auto capability, a basr does not and has a slow rate of fire. I think what this will do ,if the many hurdles are overcome, Is make the sniper role more realistic. by having a range and accuracy advantage over the aeg with the penalty of less ammo, more faff and slow rate of fire

Comment

"Let the wookie win" lol

Comment

i'm a little confused, rifling a barrel enough to spin the projectile would cause a lot of resistance to the speed of the bullet, it would be dramatically slowed.this would mean you would have to up the power a lot to compensate, if you are then putting a bb through it for the crono that i'm assuming does not engage on the rifling then it is going to be going way to fast unless you are factoring in losses in air seal around the bb like shooting a 6mm bb in an 8mm barrel, if thats the case then you are on shaky ground with the testing.
                          i hope i'm wrong and good luck.

Comment

If this makes airsoft snipers more useful without spending £400+ and hours tuning and fiddling to get it to shoot straight it sounds great and im all for it!

Though i'm not sure how it would be seen legally as we're no longer firing round balls but actuall bullet shaped projectiles? Just a thought.

Also its not the first time something like this has been done, Asahi made Blade Bullet BB's in the 90's but im pretty sure they were banned due to the belief the gun could fire real .22 rounds (If anyone knows anything about them it would be WolfGeorge)

Comment

Nerf herder.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fangsnatcher 43 year old ex army staff sergeant rediscovering my love of running about and shooting people Find out more about fangsnatcher
                              Working...
                              X