A sniping innovation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A sniping innovation?

Oh, and forgive me if I missed it, does it actually say what material he's using?

Just having nightmares of him using high-purity silica for the performance..

'.. there are scattered accounts of these breaking glass and even defeating ANSI 87.1Z rated (standard) protective eye-wear.." and thats just normal 6mm, not pointy ones!

Originally posted by fangsnatcher View Post
    I see your point but have to disagree. An aeg has x10 more rounds even if running mid caps. It also has a full auto capability, a basr does not and has a slow rate of fire. I think what this will do ,if the many hurdles are overcome, Is make the sniper role more realistic. by having a range and accuracy advantage over the aeg with the penalty of less ammo, more faff and slow rate of fire
    A 'realistic' sniper role would be sitting in a ditch for days on end and never firing a shot, which I wouldn't want the sport to devolve into if everyone could pick each other off from the other end of the site... not for everyone, I agree, but I think snipers with proper field-craft are very capable already

Comment

A pic of the roundImageUploadedByTapatalk1373969667.114535.jpg

I think the bloke behind the idea will be using the rifleing to "spin" the airflow and therefore impart spin on the round. I'm not sure of the science, I'm just giving a good idea a wider audience
      There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Is the barrel rifled or not? If it is you are in the shaky ground of a stabled projectile rather than a BB. Can't see many sites allowing them (remember the rubber M203 bullets?).
        King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
        https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
        www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

There used to be strange shaped 7mm pellets as well in the 70s and 80s:

Yonezawa made a Browning HP that shot them, zero accuracy though. I wonder how they would work today in a modern gun.

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/7mm.htm

Comment

A 'realistic' sniper role would be sitting in a ditch for days on end and never firing a shot, which I wouldn't want the sport to devolve into if everyone could pick each other off from the other end of the site... not for everyone, I agree, but I think snipers with proper field-craft are very capable already[/QUOTE]

Don't forget smearing yourself with animal excrement to blend in with the local wildlife; I know I do! Lol.

I am sure he has the legal and safety stuff under control; as others pointed out, it's been done before
            There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Pretty sure you will just be firing the "rounds" very consistently into the ground at about 20 meters without a hop up.

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
                Is the barrel rifled or not? If it is you are in the shaky ground of a stabled projectile rather than a BB. Can't see many sites allowing them (remember the rubber M203 bullets?).
                I think he is considering rifling

Comment

I also Feqent the forum you speak of very often and is a wealth of information.

As i have said on the forum I think it is a great idea not because of the range (which is nice) but the consitancy of the shots. I do alot of work on my rifles outside of the games and my other hobbies so it would not be difficult to cast my own rounds. I think having less rounds on you is a good idea also, but i think this should be personal preference and additional magazines should be available if you wanted to carry more. But number of rounds per mag could be as less as 8-10.
                  As i have mentioned also this would make shout counting a lot easyer but purhaps having a method where the rifle cdould not dry fire and you know when you are out of rounds.

I for one would be waiting in line for one of these if it goes ahead and the results and consitantly and externaly proven.

But i do worry that this would make Sniping easyer for the lets say not snipers. This is a High pression long distance rifle. the guy holding it would be a sniper if he used feild craft and was using it as targets of oportunity.

Comment

This thread is a classic example why people shouldn't offer an item for debate before having a working example.

Too many people saying 'it can't/won't work' 'it can't/ won't be allowed' etc

As long as the gun can fire a .2 bb for chrono purposes and the round it uses causes no more 'trivial injury' (a rather important point) than a normal bb then please go for it.

If it could fire as far as thought, then snipers in airsoft (still with MED) could get a lot more satisfaction for their days play.

Comment

If it works as described, doesn't look cack and sites allow it then I am all up for it
                      King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

sounds interesting but also sounds like the whole moulded round but able to use a 6mm bb for chrono is very shady.

I would be interested for target shooting but don't see any truly practical deployment in the field because as said, yes the whole point of sniping is being able to shoot from further away but with airsoft it would kind of kill the game a fair bit unless sites started limiting how many people can snipe which to be fair would kill the game completely.

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Comment

No sorry, It's an awful idea for a number of reasons.

1. there is no control over what the person making their rounds actually puts in them
                          2. I'm not convinced by the ability to get an accurate reading through a chrono using a normal BB
                          3. would it even be legal? if it is would any sites allow it? I'm not sure i'd be too happy at getting shot at by pointed projectiles. If it hits exposed skin it has the potential to cause some injury surely.
                          4. mesh googles would be unsafe as a pointed projectile could possibly force it open no?

just my 2p worth but I wouldn't want to see them in any game

Comment

Originally posted by philbucknall View Post
                            No sorry, It's an awful idea for a number of reasons.

1. there is no control over what the person making their rounds actually puts in them
                            2. I'm not convinced by the ability to get an accurate reading through a chrono using a normal BB
                            3. would it even be legal? if it is would any sites allow it? I'm not sure i'd be too happy at getting shot at by pointed projectiles. If it hits exposed skin it has the potential to cause some injury surely.
                            4. mesh googles would be unsafe as a pointed projectile could possibly force it open no?

just my 2p worth but I wouldn't want to see them in any game
                            1/ Like BBs now?

2/ Needs testing.

3/ There's a MER + shit happens now anyway, welts, lost teeth, nut shots. Wear face masks and an extra layer if you don't like being stung? Not sure a shaped projectile will make much difference at all to the little welts BBs cause anyway. Besides, a little extra sting won't do any harm.

4/ Like cheaper BBs now which can shatter and go through face masks?
                            “If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

Comment

What an interesting idea. Innovation in any form is very welcome...

Sadly, I don't think that it will work as has been shown by Hunterseeker5 (the Z-Hop guy and an airsoft innovator). His 'aspherical round project' (in its bullet and finned projectile forms) has not exactly been a resounding success mainly due to issues with a lack of lift (due to no hop). I suspect that you could produce an accurate rifle (as he did), but its range would be severely limited even the version with fins. Its also worth noting that rifling twist rates have a huge influence on accuracy so this would need to be carefully considered particularly with a slow rear heavy projectile which I suspect would be pretty unstable. It might be worth getting hold of some of Hunterseeker5's aspherical rounds to have a play with to give you some idea of what these things can do before you plough any serious money into the project.

Apurturesci - The primer idea is a good one and was used as a replacement to the Brocock air cartridge used in their range of airpistols, but sadly the only primers that non-FAC holders can legally get their hands on nowadays are .209 and muzzleloading caps, the former of which would provide far too much punch and the latter being a bloody awkward shape.

My 2p...

R

Comment

As I responded to the original post, I think it's a great idea. I don't think we'd have to worry about too many fools ending up with it, as it will be quite a distinctive rifle which will more than likely have a high price and imported from the US.

I think the ability of the sniper to come more of a ghost and a team asset is a great thing. I remember a GZW a few years a ago where one sniper held up everyone for ages. But eventually he got found out. It forced people to work together to he around him.

Remember 300' is about 100m how many sites do you play that have a perfect open space like that? It certainly won't take long to work out were they are, get inside their med or flank them. Either way I see an evolution for the game here.

My own answer to the why can't aegs have it question, aegs don't need this most work out to 50m an rhop'd one out to 60/70m, that's enough on auto to combat a lone rifle man with low ammo and single shot.
                                "I sincerely hope your next shit is a hedgehog" loki7491
                                Life in the fast lane........
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

fangsnatcher 43 year old ex army staff sergeant rediscovering my love of running about and shooting people Find out more about fangsnatcher
                                Working...
                                X