This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Airsofters

It has come to many people's attention that there seems to be an always increasing teenage
    airsoft population and it has come to my attention that newcomers(teenagers) to the sport
    are generically being treated as 'noobs'. In many cases the young'ns aren't helping their
    reputation in any matter on this forum, from stupid posts driving experienced players insane,
    to questions that break out in text wars. Many people see a new player and instantly prejudge
    them for reckless, stupid and un-knowledgeable, but in most cases teenagers are generally
    really interested in the sport. As a young player myself I found it very difficult to be accepted
    into the sport and without the guidance of experienced players it took agonizingly long to
    understand the sport and the does and don'ts.

Yes, the majority of my generation is f*cked up due to video games and television but there
    still is a small number of young people that do have interest in activities such as airsoft and
    want to understand the requirements needed for such a hobby.

Once in a while we'll all come across one of the type that sees it on youtube and says to themself
    'yeeeeeeh i'd be sick at dat' (Lol)but evidently they'll buy the cheapest and crappiest guns money
    can't buy and give up. These type of players that sadly find their way onto this forum take it for
    granted. Many of them [B]will[B] put up ridiculous posts such as one found a few days back
    'best ful metalic aeg for under 30 pounds'.Everyone likes to giggle when they see these but it's
    no need for rants and, previously stated, text wars to begin as this creates only more problems
    and angers admins running this forum.

The point of me posting this is to explain to elders that airsoft isn't always easy for younger players
    to fit in and a few people I've known have given up due to being picked on and being victims of
    something similar to that of cyber bullying due to the older generations getting fed up. When you do see
    a post from an irresponsible or stupid teenager, we're all thinking the same thing (dickhead), but that
    selected few that insist on commenting harmful and pointless things just need to move on and ignore
    it like the rest of us. Oh, and don't comment if it's just going to start another rant. Thanx

Cheers,
    Jon.

PS. Don't get me wrong, there are many many people on this forum that are very happy to help
    and not be somewhat helpless and offensive.

Re: Teenage Airsofters

If the "young'uns" actually took the time to read the forum rules, and the VCRA section then all would be fine. But i'd say at least 80% of minors who come to this forum don't do either.

Comment

I know and it's really frustrating, I've had people my age seeing me enjoying the sport and just going out and buying the first gun they see just to then come to me and have no clue of anything. Grrr

Comment

It's because Airsoft isn't exactly advertised. It's still sort of an under the radar hobby. It is a shame, a vast majority of regulars at my local are young ones. Under the age of 20 say. And a bulk of those under 18. And yet you don't have any trouble with any of them. It's just what "we" see on this forum, is very different to what most of us see on skirmish days

Comment

yes they "should" read the rules...

BUT i bet 80-90% of people on here regardless of age didnt/have read the rules in full or even at all.

Also, i remember being a teenager, sometimes you assume all rules to be the same on forums, especially when your blinded by interest of the subject your looking at.

Young players do get called noobs, but i would rather a noob than a nob on my team!
          Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

we really should be giving helpful advice to those that need it , we need a new generation to keep the sport going and maybe need to think back to how we were at 14-15 years old, reading forum rules or ukara reg's would have been far from my mind at that age. it's easy to laugh or rant but better to be helpful .

Comment

Back when i was 14-15 i didn't even have a computer. Never mind the internet XD

Comment

I do agree with you, but in the past I have seen many adults giving evil eyes to younger players and quite often blaming them for getting hit out. Last weekend I also saw a first. Young players (about 16) were being laughed at for having 2-toned guns and rental guns as well as wearing civvy clothes. Saddening...

Comment

i know that myself, and SeanSamurai, have had the pleasure of getting to know, and playing/fighting alongside some of the younger (sub 20) players in our local area, whilst its true you get the odd "I R RAMBO" type, for the most part they are pretty switched on, and pointing them in the right direction or helping out with problems or questions they have hasnt driven me insane, yet.
                  I dont judge on first appearance, il wait to see how they act in the safe zone, in game, and when one of the marshals decides to turn the safety brief into either a stand up comedy routine or a crusade for a pasty.

Reaver
                  "I'm three sheets to the wind, and i haven't even left the harbour!"

Comment

You, Reaver are a great example of the type of people that should be expressing their views on this forum and on behalf of your team I thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JonSims View Post
                      You, Reaver are a great example of the type of people that should be expressing their views on this forum and on behalf of your team I thank you.
                      You obviously havent seen some of the crap i normally post........

But thanks.

Reaver
                      "I'm three sheets to the wind, and i haven't even left the harbour!"

Comment

Yeah, just looked threw a few of your recent posts, deary me.....

Comment

Responsible, switched-on teenager with a decent grasp of the VCRA/UKARA rules, laws and regulations, and a good command of the English language=excellent addition to the airsoft community

Irresponsible, ignorant, gobby stereotypical chavvy teenager that thinks they know it all, and spels lyk dis, and thinks that FPS equals range, and assumes that playing CoD is all the gun info they will ever need, and will try to side step/circumvent the UKARA/VCRA etc.=only useful for cannon fodder, and an unwelcome addition to the airsoft community, considering the bad press the sport has had over the years.
                          Rocking out... With my Heckler & Koch out...!

Legion 412

Comment

Whilst I certainly wouldnt "bully" or belittle them, I just dont really enjoy airsofting with kids. I dont really know why, I just dont. Maybe its because somehow I always seem to end up on the team full of kids and looking like Jimmy Saville :P but joking aside, I wouldnt hang out or play with kids anywhere else so why would I want to go airsofting with them? Maybe Im just a miserable old fart. Im in a sort of funny age range, too old to hang out with the cool kids, but too young to be a "dad" figure and bond with kids that way. Maybe when I hit my 30s things will change :P

That being said, I really wish I was allowed to take an airsoft gun to work and shoot at all the screaming kids running around my workplace.

Comment

Hehe, I guess I am glued to this prefix until im 18 (Birthdays 27/07/1997, three days and two years to go ) And yeah, The sites around norwich norfolk or so dont get many players, a friend of mine runs one of the sites, which happens to be CQB, just to clarify I play tactically, But my view of play and armoury require me to be rather close in comparison to Tanking it from afar, at the woodland site Im kinda more outgunned and my gear annoys the older players but thats their call, I stick to myself (Social anxiety) and only open my mouth to call hits and mumble to myself,
                              I would state its the bad apples that ruin the harvest but the argument about buying cheap guns comes down to how you feel and how you use them
                              At the CQB site I watched a guy run around with a single fire spring shotgun and a spring pistol and he managed to get a few kills, While the gear makes up most of the kills How you use said gear plays quite the part in them too :P
                              If the first gun they buy is cheap and crappy and they hate it fair play, If they dont enjoy it its their fault I guess, But if your first gun you get is £30 and you love it and you play like a badass I gladly cheer them on :P but it all depends on what you get your kicks from,
                              So my guns aint as pretty as yours, And dont fire as far as yours, and dont hit as hard, and are not as accurate, I dont care, Just means getting hits is more satisfying :3

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

JonSims Find out more about JonSims
                              Working...
                              X