X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints and police called, back yard plinking

Hi,

A week ago the police were called around to my house talking about a couple pellets going in the next doors garden, You see the thing is is that occasionally
    I do some target practice with some on my guns, due to low fencing one or two bb's bounced of objects and landed in next doors garden or maybe occasionally
    directly. Next door came around a couple weeks ago saying for me to stop, I ended up stopping however a week ago I went out again to test out a new hop up
    unit aiming in the complete opposite direction from the neighbours garden and this time they called the police.

They came round asking question about licences and what I am doing with them. They then go on to say if we get another complaint they are going to confiscate
    them or go to the next level,

The question is do you think that this is reasonable. Am I in the law doing what I am currently doing or am I wrong? I would love to hear your suggestions especially
    if if you are familiar with the laws or if you are a police officer.

Thanks again

James
    GZW Regulars
    Looking for PSG-1
    Or MTP Plate carrier (6094)

Re: Complaints and police called, back yard shooting

I do remember reading somewhere that it is an offense if any of the ammo go onto public or another persons private property.

Beat bet if to put a cardboard box at the bottom of ur garden so the bbs sink into it and dont bounce off.
    G&G TR4-18 Short | ARMY L85A2 | G&G Xtreme45 | WE SMG8 | WE SCAR L GBBR | JG Bar-10

Comment

Originally posted by passey View Post
      I do remember reading somewhere that it is an offense if any of the ammo go onto public or another persons private property.

Beat bet if to put a cardboard box at the bottom of ur garden so the bbs sink into it and dont bounce off.
      Agreed, or a block of polystyrene, that way you can shoot as much as you want and no one can complain

Comment

Unfortunately you're in the wrong. You have to ensure projectiles cannot leave your land. If this means putting up higher fencing or erecting temporary netting then so be it.

Worse for you is that many police officers aren't clued up about airsoft and the legalities surrounding it hence you being asked about licences.
        Upcoming Games:
        None

Armoury: G&G GR15 Raider-L, KJW P226, Cybergun M3, TM MP5 (x2)
        Gear: British MTP, Warrior Assault Systems RICAS, Magnum Elite II Boots

Comment

It would be wrong for them to confiscate them for no reason or for you just shooting on your own property but the moment ammo starts turning up on other people's property or a public footpath then they would probably be in their right to take your gun off you. As far as the law is concerned the moment ammo crosses your fence you are shooting in a public place or on someone else's property without their permission which is against the law
          My Latest video

Comment

Ok I think i Understand now, The only thing i was confused about is that the second time i was shooting into a carbord box an there was no way it could get over the neighbours fence?

Thanks for all responces
            GZW Regulars
            Looking for PSG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Union View Post
              Ok I think i Understand now, The only thing i was confused about is that the second time i was shooting into a carbord box an there was no way it could get over the neighbours fence?

Thanks for all responces
              If the police ever come again, just tell them that and if they know the law, they won't take any actions against you.

Comment

I'd be careful, all your neighbour would need to do is pick up one or two pellets from their garden and you could find yourself in deep poo poo and it sounds like they would do that given what you have said
                My Latest video

Comment

Also if they do take them off you, I don't know for sure, but I would think that they'd be destroyed unless you can prove your right to have them

*Edit That is speculation on my part with no facts to back me up (before the internet lawyers get me!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pepperisit View Post
                    Also if they do take them off you, I don't know for sure, but I would think that they'd be destroyed unless you can prove your right to have them
                    I don't think he'd need to prove he has a right to have them, the police would need to prove he didn't have a right. i.e prove he didn't get them before the VCRA changed and prove he wasn't gifted them. Owning RIF's isn't illegal, they'd need to prove he bought them illegally. (From what I understand anyway)

Comment

ID say stop using in the garden... use a little common sense.. If I was a older person, I would want to see my neighbour shooting airsoft / pellet guns in the garden.

It seems they have had a polite word with you, but you have seemed to taken notice.. a week was it before you started firing them in the garden again.

As it stands they are trying to stop us airsofting, therefore any little complaint is something that can eventually get it banned / harder to get rifles / only two tones
                      FOR SALE
                      7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
                      , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

I did try and delete my post as I doubted myself after I posted it, but couldn't via tapatalk.

What if they police say that fair warning has been given to stop pellets moving into other peoples property, would they have any right to confiscation for continued misuse? Or is that covered by a different aspect of the law?

I've never had a problem with my neighbours (Terraced house but high fences) but I have thought about it before

Comment

Originally posted by Pepperisit View Post
                          I did try and delete my post as I doubted myself after I posted it, but couldn't via tapatalk.

What if they police say that fair warning has been given to stop pellets moving into other peoples property, would they have any right to confiscation for continued misuse? Or is that covered by a different aspect of the law?

I've never had a problem with my neighbours (Terraced house but high fences) but I have thought about it before

I think in that case, yes, they'd have a right to take them away, not 100% sure though......

Comment

Yes It was a whole week buddy.
                            GZW Regulars
                            Looking for PSG-1

Comment

If anyone IS sure please comment, I'm interested. (And I'm sure the OP is interested now I've worried them, Sorry!)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Union Find out more about Union
                              Working...
                              X