8.4v instead just for a few shots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8.4v instead just for a few shots?

The phone in your pocket, the laptop on your legs and virtually every other high-quality cordless electrical item you own uses LiPo batteries. Oddly enough, I've never seen forum users telling each other to trust in landline phones and desktop computers because LiPos are dangerous, in much the same way as I've never seen forum users telling each other to trust in horses because a car's petrol tank is basically a bomb. There are two main kinds of airsoft LiPo danger on the internet, the first of which is:

Originally posted by Ravo View Post
    Which I've heard more than once.
    Hearsay. (Of which this thread will provide yet more, hence my combative reply.) Everybody's cousin's brother's tennis partner's dog's veterinarian's weird son who plays airsoft knows a guy in the pub who once saw a LiPo battery detonate unprovoked, and as the mushroom cloud blotted out the sky all present swore to go back to using an older, less efficient and more toxic metal chemistry.

The other kind, which would politely be called 'user error' and impolitely called 'colossal stupidity', is the more dangerous of the two. Extrapolating from the extremely small fraction of a percentage of other consumer electrical devices that suddenly explode without user input, I'm going to guess that 99.5% of LiPo incidents in airsoft are due to one or more combinations of:
    1. Abusing the battery (all of the following apply to literally any battery chemistry). Many airsoft battery warnings are accompanied by a photo of a battery plugged in to an inappropriate charger, a sure-fire way to damage both the battery and the charger. Allowing the battery to become over-discharged is another easily-avoided way to damage it. Perforating the battery - even by accident, ste887 - is an extreme example of catastrophic disregard for what is effectively a soft-skinned bag of highly energised exotic chemicals. You wouldn't expect much good to come of stabbing your laptop; keeping a battery pack where it can be struck by high-energy projectiles is on that level of negligence.
    2. Using entirely the wrong battery. The battery is not supposed to get hot; if it does, it might indicate excessive draw or discharge.
    3. Ignoring the warning signs. The battery is not supposed to swell up; if it does, it might indicate an internal short. You wouldn't keep using a petrol tank that was leaking petrol all over the floor every time you filled it; LiPos are no different.

The number one killer of LiPos, by far, has to be the incredibly shit state of most AEGs' wiring. Worn insulation, home-brew MOSFETs with crap components, electrical tape in lieu of heatshrink, wires twisted together in lieu of solder joints - I see it all the time. Virtually all the LiPo failures I've seen in person were the fault of the gun's electronics, not the battery itself. Calling a LiPo dangerous for burning when short-circuited is like calling your toaster dangerous for electrocuting you after you took a bath with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
      the only thing a lower voltage would do is be more likely to lockup (Jam), which could damage the box?
      Ran my battery for too long so therefore lower voltage and locked my SR25 up. Not a problem but an inconvenience, but it did damage my mosfet.....£15 to replace
      sigpic
      "And this is why a two finger tap on the shoulder will suffice"

Comment

Just get a LIFE and you will never have to worry about anything (9.9v)
        VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
        trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Ravo Find out more about Ravo
        Working...
        X