Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing Gas Pistol

Originally posted by Josh93 View Post
    Yeah I can see the pros but the risk is a lot greater for a rookie like me and anyway I quite like the idea of buying a new gun and taking good care of it myself from the start.

The sport line is the slightly cheaper plastic version, is that right?

And also with regards to if that's the barrel length, is it actually going to make a difference on a air soft gun or is that just a misconception carried over from a real rifle?
    For a rookie, I am amazed nobody has mentioned a g&g CM16 raider - it is pretty much the best budget minded AEG available. ICS guns did (may still do) have slightly different measurements to most other brands, so not all mags fit, if you want to change external bits you have to get ICS ones etc. I have owned ICS and G&G M4's and of the 2 would go G&G every time. You can often pick these up second hand but the saving is rarely worth the risk.

The sportline (and combat machine range) are plastic, however unless you're a moron with it there is no reason why that won't be fine for years, all metal isn't always best.

As for barrel lengths, no, it doesn't make a huge difference, it can make a difference, but not enough to notice at the Mall or even most sites, especially not to a new player. However having a short barrel is easier to get around corners, doors etc

IF you're set on the Mall as your only site, I don't see the issue with getting a pistol for your first weapon, any other site and you'll probably struggle but close CQB sites they can rule and most people when they want a gun, hanker for it until they have bought it.
    sigpic

Comment

The Cxp 16 is basically an M4 with different furniture it has the split gearbox which a great design. It will take most M4 mags there might be a couple that are iffy but never heard of any problems. Disagree on the G&G its an ok gun but I prefer ICS its all about personal choice. The mall is a cqb site but there are a lot of places inside that the distances suit themselves more to an aeg. You can play with just a pistol if you really want but it might limit your day a bit more. Its your money your choice buy what makes you smile.

Comment

Originally posted by emergencychimp View Post
        For a rookie, I am amazed nobody has mentioned a g&g CM16 raider - it is pretty much the best budget minded AEG available. ICS guns did (may still do) have slightly different measurements to most other brands, so not all mags fit, if you want to change external bits you have to get ICS ones etc. I have owned ICS and G&G M4's and of the 2 would go G&G every time. You can often pick these up second hand but the saving is rarely worth the risk.

The sportline (and combat machine range) are plastic, however unless you're a moron with it there is no reason why that won't be fine for years, all metal isn't always best.

As for barrel lengths, no, it doesn't make a huge difference, it can make a difference, but not enough to notice at the Mall or even most sites, especially not to a new player. However having a short barrel is easier to get around corners, doors etc

IF you're set on the Mall as your only site, I don't see the issue with getting a pistol for your first weapon, any other site and you'll probably struggle but close CQB sites they can rule and most people when they want a gun, hanker for it until they have bought it.
        The main problem with the g&g raider is a completely random one, two of my friends have them so I really don't want the same gun but it's one I've heard is very good on a budget. As to the last bit you mentioned about only playing at reading, I'm hoping to go to a few other sites this year so that's one of the reasons I might end up getting an aeg (and still can't find an hk45 retailer). But I still prefer a shorter rifle.

There's the ICS cxp I've mentioned but also the ICS MX5 A5, that's quite noticeably shorter and more targeted for cqb and that's why I may choose the cxp for more of an all rounder.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ImTriggerHappy View Post
        The Cxp 16 is basically an M4 with different furniture it has the split gearbox which a great design. It will take most M4 mags there might be a couple that are iffy but never heard of any problems. Disagree on the G&G its an ok gun but I prefer ICS its all about personal choice. The mall is a cqb site but there are a lot of places inside that the distances suit themselves more to an aeg. You can play with just a pistol if you really want but it might limit your day a bit more. Its your money your choice buy what makes you smile.
        Yeah I agree, for some areas a pistol is definitely a lot better but as an all rounder and a gun I can take to other sites the MX5 A5 or CXP would be a better bet.

Comment

IMO the JG M4 Enhanced is the best budget player m4. It has excellent internals that just need a tuning then the gun is literally unbreakable. Externals are decent, not great but, nothing so horrible that you wouldnt want to touch. And Honestly for a starter I would recommend something with beefed up internals rather then externals. Hence why I dislike G&G CMs GREATLY. For what you are paying, you could get a JG M4 with 10x BETTER INTERNALS.

Comment

Except noone sells them in the UK anymore.
            -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
            -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by kingklein12 View Post
              IMO the JG M4 Enhanced is the best budget player m4. It has excellent internals that just need a tuning then the gun is literally unbreakable. Externals are decent, not great but, nothing so horrible that you wouldnt want to touch. And Honestly for a starter I would recommend something with beefed up internals rather then externals. Hence why I dislike G&G CMs GREATLY. For what you are paying, you could get a JG M4 with 10x BETTER INTERNALS.
              I've never heard this particular gun mentioned before which doesn't mean it's bad by any means but generally I would play it safer and also I'm all for quality internally and reliability but I like the balance of having both, definitely have a look more into this rifle though. I'm not ruling anything out.

Comment

Originally posted by kingklein12 View Post
                Or the ICS that you dont have to touch and will be better than both. I know 2 people who have ran the Cxp for a couple of years regularly and put a monstrous amount of rounds through them and never had a single issue. They have never had any servicing or maintenance ever and still run perfectly. Very solid guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh93 View Post
                  Is the temperature going to be a constant issue for me even when indoors? I thought it would only be a problem when near to 0/freezing?
                  From my own experiences of pistols (TM, WE, KJW) on 134a/144a or Green Gas, under 10 degrees is pretty much always bad for them, under 15 degrees is hit and miss, and it's only really beyond 17 degrees where they start becoming reliable.

TM recommends an operating temperature of 20-40 degrees celsius on 134a/144a, which works out to roughly 10-28 degrees celsius on Green Gas.
                  Current Arsenal:
                  G&P LMT Tactical Rifle
                  ASG CZ Scorpion EVO 3A1
                  TM 1911 MEU(SOC)

scoutthedoggie approved commenter!

Comment

Originally posted by RWJP View Post
                    From my own experiences of pistols (TM, WE, KJW) on 134a/144a or Green Gas, under 10 degrees is pretty much always bad for them, under 15 degrees is hit and miss, and it's only really beyond 17 degrees where they start becoming reliable.

TM recommends an operating temperature of 20-40 degrees celsius on 134a/144a, which works out to roughly 10-28 degrees celsius on Green Gas.
                    Okay well i'll take that into account, i'm sure i won't often be using it below 10 C anyway. Thanks.

Comment

Going back a bit to barrel length.

There are lots of schools of thought on this - a lot of people will tell you longer barrel = more accuracy. I can't comment either way - I've owned a variety of guns with different length barrels, and not seen drastic changes across them. My Hk 45 obviously has only a pistol length barrel, yet is very accurate - similarly my G5. I personally find longer barrels generally more cumbersome and a pain in the butt, so I've migrated over to shorter. Your mileage, however, may vary.

It seems to me your best bet may be narrowing down to 3-4 guns, and throwing a post up on the Mall's FB group, ask if anyone playing a Sunday soon has any of the guns you like the look of, and wouldn't mind you pawing them a bit in the safe zone. Airsofters are friendly types, and they love to show off their kit, and the mall gets a ton of folks come through. The odds are pretty good someone will have at least one of the guns you're looking at. Failing that, find a local shop, and see if they have them in stock.. or even make a road trip to one. When it comes to something like the ICS and G&G, both in similar price ranges, with positive reviews and no critical flaws in either, I think it just comes down to which you prefer the feel of .

Comment

Originally posted by Smintheus View Post
                        Going back a bit to barrel length.

There are lots of schools of thought on this - a lot of people will tell you longer barrel = more accuracy. I can't comment either way - I've owned a variety of guns with different length barrels, and not seen drastic changes across them. My Hk 45 obviously has only a pistol length barrel, yet is very accurate - similarly my G5. I personally find longer barrels generally more cumbersome and a pain in the butt, so I've migrated over to shorter. Your mileage, however, may vary.

It seems to me your best bet may be narrowing down to 3-4 guns, and throwing a post up on the Mall's FB group, ask if anyone playing a Sunday soon has any of the guns you like the look of, and wouldn't mind you pawing them a bit in the safe zone. Airsofters are friendly types, and they love to show off their kit, and the mall gets a ton of folks come through. The odds are pretty good someone will have at least one of the guns you're looking at. Failing that, find a local shop, and see if they have them in stock.. or even make a road trip to one. When it comes to something like the ICS and G&G, both in similar price ranges, with positive reviews and no critical flaws in either, I think it just comes down to which you prefer the feel of .
                        Totally agree, absolutely spot on advice however that is way too sensible for me. I'm just going to do my research and make one more thread on here and then buy the gun.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Josh93 Find out more about Josh93
                        Working...
                        X