Which batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which batteries?

Yes. I have a split gearbox in front of me. From an ICS M4.

And what is the need for insults? My ego has nothing to do with the fact, that ICS split gearboxes do not run as reliably, and never sound as healthy as normal gearboxes. Simply because you are cutting a precision engineered piece of equipment in half and expecting it to work as well. It just won't. Show me a properly conducted experiment to counter common sense, and I will believe you.

And if you want to insult people - go back to the school playground. The embarrassing thing about your behaviour (and the other guy too) over a simple disagreement is that you're probably both a lot older than I am. But age obviously does not equal experience, as I clearly have more experience in excercising restraint, controlling my temper and not being downright rude.

All I wanted to do, was explain to the OP my personal experience, and what he should consider. The stories about Lipos don't come from nowhere.

Now, let us stop cluttering up this thread before we all get moderated. If you have any more problems with my 'over inflated ego' then feel free to PM me. Or if you'd prefer, maybe we could discuss it over a picnic in this lovely weather we're having?
    Formerly 'Waltzinblack' but thought it was time to incorporate my Team callsign into my name

Comment

Lipos:
      Physical Size
      Price
      Performance
      Ease of use

Dark ages:
      bleh?

Saying something is true "because it just is" doesn't equal proof. I've heard no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise to suggest the split gearbox design is inferior with regard to reliability. On the contrary mine has been nothing short of perfect, having seen at least 200 000rds through 17 months skirmishing with it, not skipped a beat despite, essentially, zero maintenance.

Again, all this lipo-hate-craze seems to be based on nothing. Anyone seen, through regular use, a lipo explode/catch fire? The instructions included with a lipo about safe use are about as simple and basic as you can get, with most of them being common sense.

I know I've seen two instances of "dark ages" exploding, one smoking crane stock, and one unlucky chap with battery acid on his face.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. i dont know what all this lipo stuff is about yet. some say use them some dont. guess its life.

anyone with the l85 got some suggestions as to which batteries physically fit. ive got the ICS l85a2 so the battery is in the handguard of it. last thing i want to do is get a couple of batteries that can not and will not go in

Comment

Hi,

I have an ICS L85A2 and in my humble opinon have a fairly extensive knowledge of LiPo's having used them regularly over the last six years so I may be able to offer some advice.

My personal opinion is that I cannot for the life of me understand why people thrive to use LiPo's in AEG's and see them as some sort of 'personal goal' to end up with them at some point. Don't get me wrong, a LiPo is an unbelieveably efficient power source and can push out huge currents from a light weight but if your AEG doesn't require either then they are simply an expensive and unnecessary item only desireable in a willy waving contest.

They DO require more care and attention no matter what anyone tells you. They ARE far more susceptible to voltage levels and WILL be permanently damaged if it drops too low or goes to high. Yes, if you follow the instructions to the letter you should never have a problem with any LiPo but the sheer fact remains that they require more TLC than any other battery type. They also much prefer to be stored at half charge so bear that in mind too as I know of many people who have left them over the winter having discharged them and by the time they go to use them again the voltage had dropped too low and the pack has ballooned. It's not like they are recoverable either, so it's kaput.

They are however very small and light for their power output so if you need any of those criteria for your AEG then by all means go ahead as it makes sense. Myself, I use a 9.6v 3700Mah NiMh in my L85 (which are around £25) as I am not looking to lighten it nor do I need any more power than the 9.6 provides. Note though if you have seen my other threads the only way I could stop my L85 from double firing with a 9.6 was to fit a braked mosfet which solved the problem full stop. That said, it appears many other have used 9.6 batteries in their ICS L85's and haven't had a problem so it's just trial and error. If you are unlikely to want or need to fit a mosfet and don't mind the lower rate of fire then the safer bet would be an 8.4. I can say that the ROF with the 9.6 and mosfet is simply staggering although I haven't measured it as yet.

What do I use LiPo's for then? Radio controlled helicopters - where huge current supply in the lightest possible package is essential.

Just my 2p- take it or leave it

SRC G36C v2 / ICS L85 A2 / ICS M4 RIS Proline all with AirFET mosfets. RA-Tech WE GBB Open Bolt SCAR
          TM chrome Deagle / KWA P226 / WE G18C Gen4

Comment

ive now managed to source some batteries and a decent charger at a good price. if you want to know where, i can send you the info via a PM.

thanks for all your input and for the PMs with info ive had.

Comment

I simply don't understand why people like 11.1v-induced, stupidly high and unrealistic ROF.... I thought airsoft was about realism but it seems 'cheating' by creating a wall of plastic is the aim.

Comment

ive gone for some 8.4s as when i tried the gun on one of those it had a fairly good RoF as it was. an insanely high RoF isnt one of my priorities anyhow as i tend to use short bursts so it wouldnt have made that much of a difference.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Swift Find out more about Swift
                Working...
                X