X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: xenon vs LED

Originally posted by waltzinblack View Post
    Ahhh thanks for clarifying Planemo

Is that why they can afford to use them for rear lights and side lights? Because they don't have to be so bright?
    Pretty much. You could cluster enough of the latest CREE led's together to get the light intensity but it would
    Be a much bigger package than a single 55watt filament bulb. That then beings with it issues regarding focusing and beam pattern. Its just easier and cheaper to stick a set of HID bulbs in which are still far more efficient than archaic filaments. As I said, I'm sure LED headlights aren't far off though, their efficiency is awesome and for that reason alone the planet will be doing what they can to make them mainstream for any lighting requirement.

SRC G36C v2 / ICS L85 A2 / ICS M4 RIS Proline all with AirFET mosfets. RA-Tech WE GBB Open Bolt SCAR
    TM chrome Deagle / KWA P226 / WE G18C Gen4

Comment

I had a decent look into xenon vs LED a month or so back when I bought a torch. Personally I dont think there is really that much in it. If you get a decent enough brand and model of either, they are both plenty bright. LEDs are far more cost effective though. Sure you can replace a xenon bulb, but unless you abuse an LED, you wont have to considering its lifespan vs how long you will actually be using it for. Bulbs and batteries make for an expensive way to go. Also, if you want sheer power in a small package, LEDs are unbeatable. Surefire do some 200 Lumen torches now that are About 5" long and a bit thicker than an AA battery. A xenon flashlight would never get that small and still produce as much light. Speaking of which, the focusing on surefire (not ultrafire, spiderfire etc etc clones) is excelent. You can spend a quater of the price on a chaper supposedly 'brighter' one on ebay, and for all that bulb power, the illumination is nothing by comparison. Bit off topic, but there you go. In my opinion, its got to be down to focusing, and build quality more than anything. If you are going to sink over £50 into a torch, it needs to last (and in the case of LEDs... and last, and last...).

As someone else mentioned earlier... LEDs do get a lot hotter. Mine has 'warning, heat hazard' written on the bezel. 10 mins or so will get it pretty toasty.

Edit: I just checked out the torches planemo mentioned... They look pretty slick it must be said. £40 on amazon for the P7 is astounding if it really lives up to it's specs. I love the amazon product description... "It is a torch". Just incase you weren't sure.
      Last edited by MajorLandmark; 23 July, 2010, 15:22.

Comment

Although I've owned many Surefires I refuse to buy them anymore as you are getting fleeced just to have the trade on the side. They got away with it for years as there wasn't any real competition but the game has moved on and they aren't alone in the market anymore. As for Maglight, I think they got well and truly caught out by the LED technology. The last time i looked they were still caught in the filament dark ages I have no idea what their marketing guys were thinking! They are still overpriced even now.

SRC G36C v2 / ICS L85 A2 / ICS M4 RIS Proline all with AirFET mosfets. RA-Tech WE GBB Open Bolt SCAR
        TM chrome Deagle / KWA P226 / WE G18C Gen4

Comment

I can vouch for the LED LENSER P7, I have one, its absolutely brilliant, has a very nice spread feature and you can focus for range, Excellent torch, if you can get one do it, unless your going for NV of course.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sparrowhawk Find out more about sparrowhawk
          Working...
          X