This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M14 Discussion

Tokyo Marui all the way if you can afford it. I've owned mine for about 6 months and it has never let me down, it's extremely accurate out of the box. But saying that I have fired a Cyma SOCOM and that was pretty good aswell. If you can afford the TM then get it, if not go for the cyma
    TM M14
    KSC Glock 18C
    KSC Glock 23F with metal outer barrel and slide

Comment

Iv got a few questions about TM and AGM M14's that perhaps you clever M14 owning folks could answer, iv got one of each, a TM socom and a AGM M14.
      Iv put a tighbore barrel in the socom but it wouldnt fit, the grooves being to far down the barrel, is that just TM being annoying so you have to buy a specific barrel? I just put it in an filled down the hop clip a bit, works a treat now, im just not sure sure I should leave it like this when i sell it :s!

Second question, does the AGM M14 use the same gears as the TM M14? As I put in some upgrades including systema high torque gears to help pull back a more powerfull spring and disabled full auto but it came out at way lower fps that normal! Even though it definitely cycling and firing, I cant figure it out!

The hop is and element upgrade one (so basicaly tm) and is working fine, the gearbox has:
      Element clear light weight piston and bearing piston head
      systema high torque gears (designed for TM)
      M140 spring

Any ideas?
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by your evil twin View Post
        Iv got a few questions about TM and AGM M14's that perhaps you clever M14 owning folks could answer, iv got one of each, a TM socom and a AGM M14.
        Iv put a tighbore barrel in the socom but it wouldnt fit, the grooves being to far down the barrel, is that just TM being annoying so you have to buy a specific barrel? I just put it in an filled down the hop clip a bit, works a treat now, im just not sure sure I should leave it like this when i sell it :s!

Second question, does the AGM M14 use the same gears as the TM M14? As I put in some upgrades including systema high torque gears to help pull back a more powerfull spring and disabled full auto but it came out at way lower fps that normal! Even though it definitely cycling and firing, I cant figure it out!

The hop is and element upgrade one (so basicaly tm) and is working fine, the gearbox has:
        Element clear light weight piston and bearing piston head
        systema high torque gears (designed for TM)
        M140 spring

Any ideas?
        Cheers

sounds like an air seal problem to me matey. - perosnally id check the "O" ring on the piston. put a bit of silicon grease on it.

you may have a leak some where.

best of luck
        mac
        Originally posted by Coz
        Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
        http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

You have to buy an m14 specific barrel as the grooves are in different places. As far as im aware AGM and Tm internals are the same (obviously ver.7 stuff). The low fps can also be the hop not seating properly with the barrel and hop unit.
          Wanted:
          RS SVD
          MP5K PDW STOCK
          AK PBS SILENCER

Comment

Ive owned a tm m14 since day one of their release and im never going to let it go as it's just amazing.

Ive left mine as stock and even though its only putting out 280-315fps it still manages to out range most other aegs which have be tinkered with.

All ive done to mine is add on the kings arms ris kit, bi-pod adapter, scope and scope mount and it makes one hell of a dmr/assault rifle but I find it can be a tad annoying when buildings are involved due to its length :-(

Really want to get my hands on the socom version now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by metalboa View Post
              Ive owned a tm m14 since day one of their release and im never going to let it go as it's just amazing.

Ive left mine as stock and even though its only putting out 280-315fps it still manages to out range most other aegs which have be tinkered with.

All ive done to mine is add on the kings arms ris kit, bi-pod adapter, scope and scope mount and it makes one hell of a dmr/assault rifle but I find it can be a tad annoying when buildings are involved due to its length :-(

Really want to get my hands on the socom version now :-)
              put a tightbore in it. i beg you. - the accuracy is outstanding.

mine was stock but i remember getting head shots at sniper rifle ranges :D
              Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Ive actually been thinking about doing that lol.

Will look into once ive got more money.

Comment

Originally posted by metalboa View Post
                  Ive actually been thinking about doing that lol.

Will look into once ive got more money.
                  i know the feeling - got about 20 things i will look into once i have more money. lol

best of luck

mac
                  Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Got this from m14 owners group on another forum

========================================
                    TM M14/SOCOM16
                    Name:
                    -Tokyo Marui
                    -NONE?
                    Manufacturer Location:
                    -JAPAN
                    US Importer:
                    -NONE
                    Stock FPS
                    -310fps with .20's
                    Warranty:
                    -None
                    Average Cost:
                    -350$

Externals:
                    Finally, Metal! TM's Second AEG to contain a metal reciever (First was Thompson series). The metal is still not the worlds greatest but it is metal! Solid construction and fun features make it a good external AEG. The metal parts match up with whats metal on the Real M14. Good news for M14 buffs. The only thing that is noteworthy is that the Metal on my Generation 1 TM M14 was not the strongest and parts started to break off. This has supposedly changed for the better.

The plastics are ok. They are the standard TM Plastic, and unfortunately that means the Heatshield above the barrel and infront of the reciever is very flimsy and creaks if moved. The stock is solid enough but I specifically remember mine being able to be torsioned a little which made me a little bitter. The stock has enough room for an 8.4v battery in it but some 9.6v's are too long to fit in there. Filing down the guide rails can fix this issue but it is apparent that TM is still living in the NiCD era for battery tech.

Internals:
                    Typical TM Internals, Rock solid in stock form. V7 Gearbox means new proprietary parts, and all of them too. The Hop up unit is worth mentioning because it is clearly made of magical pixie dust because in stock form it can outrange a good number of mildly upgraded AEG's at a fraction of the FPS. It is also very easy to set. The unit, however is plastic, but cant be broken because it does not make direct contact with the magazine, ever!

Reliability:
                    It's a TM, it's going to be reliable in it's stock form running an 8.4v battery. Probably close to 250k-300k rounds

What to Keep:
                    -Metals, Obviously! Kits are out there to change that
                    -Stock is OK on it, but can also be changed
                    -Hop UP unit is made of WIN!
                    -Motor

What to Toss:
                    -Internals if you want to upgrade
                    -Stock if you dont like plasticky stocks
                    -Heatshield if you dont like plasticky stocks

Classic Army M14 National Match/SCOUT
                    Name:
                    -Yick Fung Industries, Classic Army
                    -www.classicarmy.com
                    Manufacturer Location:
                    -Hong Kong
                    US Importer:
                    -Spartan Imports
                    Stock FPS
                    -325 fps with .20's
                    Warranty:
                    -None
                    Average Cost:
                    -250$ USD

Externals:
                    Metal and plastic content matches that of the Real M14. The metal is the same CA potmetal reciever however again it is very very very solid feeling and is very nicely made. The Bolt has a working bolt catch, but because of the gearbox design can only be pulled half back (to expose the hop up unit) It makes a very satisfying and realistic kerclank when you let go of it () The Disassembly is close to the real thing, and the parts are held together very solidly. The frontsight on all CA M14's is canted slighly to the left which irks me a little but is acceptable.

Plastics are ok at best. Old version CA M14's have problems with the stocks splitting out (I had two, both split out) The newer ones do not suffer this problem nearly as bad. The new versions also have a retextured stock that is much nicer to hold onto and much more realistic. Good news! Battery compartment holds enough room for large 9.6v's. You could, if you wanted to shove a 10.8v or even a 12v in there however I dont recommend this. The Door to put the battery in is plastic.

Internals:
                    The CA M14 uses a G&G Styled gearbox. However there are some stark differences. The CA M14 has a fixed motor cage and uses a TM M14 style fire selector (with the U bar that goes around the back of the gearbox... it's a terrible design, personally). The gearbox uses a slew of parts from different guns but here is quick rundown:

V2/V3 Gears
                    V3 Spring Guide
                    AUG Airnozzle
                    Short Motors
                    Standard Cylinder
                    Standard Spring
                    Standard Piston
                    Standard Piston Head
                    G&G M14 Proprietary Cylinder Head
                    G&G M14 Proprietary Tappet Plate (might be a V6)
                    7mm Bushings/Bearings
                    AUG Hop Up Unit
                    509mm Barrel
                    Standard Hop Up rubber

The stock motor, follows that of the Armalite series... they are OK.

Reliability:
                    In their stock form I have no doubts that they would last 150k rounds like other CA AEG's do.

What to Keep:
                    -External Metals
                    -Stock
                    -Gears are good to go

What to Toss:
                    -Heatshield is still bad
                    -Motor if you plan on upgrading
                    -Piston/pistonhead if you plan on upgrading
                    -Spring Guide
                    -Hop Up Rubber

G&G M14/SOC16/Veteran
                    Name:
                    -Guay And Guay
                    -http://b2b.guay2.com
                    Manufacturer Location:
                    -Taiwan
                    US Importer:
                    -Spartan/Tech101
                    Stock FPS
                    -350fps with .20's (Veteran shoots 410-430fps with .20's)
                    Warranty:
                    -30 Day Warranty from G&G
                    -STOCK parts replacement, indefinite
                    Average Cost:
                    -250$ USD (Standard/SOC16) 345$ (Veteran)

Externals:
                    The Standard G&G M14/SOC16 is comparable to the CA M14's. Some things to note is the metal is much more solid and the plastic is a heavier duty plastic. The same features apply to both externally. That is the bolt catch, disassembly, butt plate, reciever, and the rest of the metal parts are all well made. No visable casting or mold lines. Trademarks are simple and do not have "Springfield Armory" trades like CA does but instead says "G&G Armament" instead of Springfield Armory.

The plastics are heavier duty, and much nicer feeling than the CA's. Having said that they definetly are nylon fiber. They do not creek at all and do not crack out nearly as easy as the CA's do. This is due to the fact that the internals are slightly different in layout. More on that later though!

**G&G M14 Veteran Evolution** This rifle does not have a plastic stock but instead has a Wood stock painted with a Walnut stain and some light coats of brown paint. It looks wonderfull however it is a bit soft. That of course is totaly out done by the fact it's wood and much nicer feeling than any plastic stock!

Internals:
                    The G&G M14/SOC16 uses a different design than the TM. CA Copied the majority of the G&G M14 design for their use. It uses the same parts as the CA M14 internally. There are some things to note though. The Fire selector is different, the G&G M14's goes through the gearbox instead of out and around behind it. This makes for a much smoother change over in fire selectors (in my oppinion) and it prevents the fire selector from moving on it's own. Also the motor mount is on a semi moveable mount which allows the motor to fit easier into the stock. This is a good design as fitting into the stocks as that is a pain to do correctly on the CA. The G&G Internals are amazing, and I'd say better then their M16 series. They come with 4x7mm Bearings on the Spur and Bevel gears and 2x8mm Bearings on the Sector gear. They also come with a Bearing Spring guide and metal piston Head. These are truely works of art.

Reliability:
                    Unlike their some of their M16 series, G&G has worked out the kinks on their M14 lineup. They do not suffer from the reliability issues they used to have. I would say that a G&G M14 could last past 150k rounds easily and push to the 200k limit on good maintenance.

What to Keep:
                    -Everything, stock internally in the gearbox
                    -Hop Up unit is rocksolid

What to Toss:
                    -Heatshield! (buy a real M14 heatshield)
                    -Hop up rubber is "OK" but could be improved

NOTE: G&G M14 Veteran is by far better than the standard G&G M14's and I'd say, uneasily, that it is probably the King of the M14's. It truely is an amazing AEG and one that I'm proud to have spent the money on.

The G&G M14 Veteran has a slew of upgraded parts over the standard G&G M14 that puts it's performance well above that of the standard version. This includes a metal cylinder head and custom ported Piston head. Not to mention the use of 4x7mm bearings and 2x8mm bearings on the Sector gear. The motor is much higher torque then the standard M14 motor and the spring has changed. This is truely an amazing gun.

CYMA M14
                    Name:
                    -CYMA
                    -NONE?
                    Manufacturer Location:
                    -CHINA
                    US Importer:
                    -N/A
                    Stock FPS
                    -340fps with .20's
                    Warranty:
                    -None
                    Average Cost:
                    -$80

Externals:
                    Firstly, it has a metal receiver, similar to that of the TM - what is metal on the real steel is metal here. Having used both, TM and CYMA, i can say that it is a very fit finish, very solid it's not pot metal and imo it is the best out of any of the Chinese offerings. The action is also very nice indeed, . The butt plate of the gun snapped the other week, i dropped the gun with it open from about waist height (slipped on ice) It fell on to hard ground and i'm not at all surprised it snapped, given it is a fairly weighty gun.

The plastic is alright, the stock feel quite 'shiny' and it doesn't have any texture, although it is very solid - no creaks and the joins seem just fine. The heatshield feels terrible, although looks presentable, being a nice matte finish and all, i took it off right away though, to make space for the KA KAC RAS. Similar to the TM, you can fit an 8.4v battery in the stock, haven't ventured to using anything more in this.

Internals:
                    This is where the CYMA shines, for an ACM. The internals are just something else, considering the price. It's all V7 compatible, comes stock with steel gears and the shimming on those was very good out the box. The piston is nylon fiber, looks strong and well made. Metal bushings of course, as per most Chinese guns these days. Also worth noting - the gun comes with a brass 6.04mm Tight Bore barrel, which is surprisingly good quality en par with a systema aftermarket one i'd say. In similar fashion to the TM the hop is just fantastic, i don't know the science that makes it thus, so lets just conclude that it is magical pixie dust like the TM.
                    Reliability:
                    I can't see this thing ever giving up, in stock form you'll probably get 100's of thousands of rounds out of this.

What to Keep:
                    -Metals, Obviously! Kits are out there to change that
                    -Stock is OK on it, but can also be changed
                    -Hop UP unit is made of WIN!
                    -Motor

What to Toss:
                    -Internals if you want to upgrade
                    -Stock if you dont like plasticky stocks
                    -Heatshield if you dont like plasticky heatshields!
                    Wanted:
                    RS SVD
                    MP5K PDW STOCK
                    AK PBS SILENCER

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys, especially the comparrison's between the 4main manufacturers. I'm guessing that the ACM one is in fact the CYMA that AW are selling for £130.

My hired TM G36C packed up on Sunday and I was very kindly offered the use of a black stocked ACM (CYMA?) M14 for a few minutes. Unfortunately the hop appeared not to have been set properly and the scope wasn't zero'd as it was the 1st time that the gun had been out for a skirmish.

First impressions were that the range was ok, but the accuracy wasn't too good (see above). I found myself preferring to use the iron sights rather than the scope at the relative distances involved. The high scope mount allowed the use of the iron sights underneath which felt slightly strange. Full auto on that style of gun just didn't seem right at all really. I'll definitely be keeping mine (when I get one) on semi-auto.

One thing I really did notice is just how damn heavy and bulky the M14 actually is. I had to walk back to the safe zone carrying it and the G36C. My arm was tired by the time I got back there. It's definitely more of a 'stand back a bit and shoot from the rear at far away targets' gun, rather than using it to run around with.

I'm about 6'2" and the rifle does feels big, heavy and cumbersome. Frankly getting the use of a G36K afterwards felt like a blessing for running around the woods. I still fancy an M14, but think I'll maybe get a JG G36K to start off with instead. Might give the SOCOM another look as well.

Also got the chance to fire a JG BAR-10 G-Spec, which felt nice to hold, but the bolt felt very heavy and stiff to pull back and push forward again (Probably just needs some lube and time to settle in). Also the scope hadn't been zero'd, but that aside it was nice and quiet and the range was pretty good, even if the accuracy was slightly off.

Decisions, decisions......
                      sigpic

Comment

rimmer, you got this?

Comment

Just heard that the TM M14 has gone from £230 to £310......Feck that for a game of soldiers!!

Chinasoft is looking even more appealing now.
                          sigpic

Comment

haha

Comment

When you talk about how heavy it is, well most of the longer sniper rifles/assault rifles are that heavy if not by sheer size then by weight (my M16A3 is full metal at about 4.8 KG's, your M14 is close to that) one good thing though, its add realism and makes you think about what else you carry. Also, dont start about the price rise thing as there's already a thread on it. Its a damn shame as i was ready to get mine next monday (So close!), it just means more satisfaction when you can finally get one.
                              Current Armoury
                              TM M14 (OD) Red Dot Scope

ICS m16a3 - standard (as it should be!)

TM Spas 12

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Private Ryan Find out more about Private Ryan
                              Working...
                              X