how powerfull can an airsoft gun be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how powerfull can an airsoft gun be?

obviously this is strictly hypothetical and I'm not going to do it (chances are i couldn't anyway) but Ive always wondered what fps can you actually get an airsoft gun up to? that is no holds barred no restraints legally, ethically or budget wise, what is the extent of human airsoft engineering haha

please debate

Re: how powerfull can an airsoft gun be?

how long is a piece of string?

it gets to a point where you have to start using much much heavier ammo just to allow the pressure to build behind the bb before accelerating

i've done a bit of testing myself but cant really post results due to the legality of it...
    Systema PTW M4A1 - TM M14 - KSC Glock 17 - WE 1911 MEU - TM Hi Capa race gat

Comment

Around 2,000fps I'd guess....

Battery and gas powered.

Please get in touch if you want general help. Please report problematic posts.

Take responsibility for your choices. If you break any rule in life, you should be held accountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingwell View Post
        how long is a piece of string?

it gets to a point where you have to start using much much heavier ammo just to allow the pressure to build behind the bb before accelerating

i've done a bit of testing myself but cant really post results due to the legality of it...
        is it that simple? it could just keep going and going?

Comment

If you created a ultra high gas pressure system, then work out the highest pressure you can use, and voila, the xxxx fps weapon.

Comment

2,000,000 FPS

A Gen3 SRC G36C.

Then blow someones leg off with it.
            AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

As has been said, as powerful as you want really,but the further you upgrade it for FPS the more expensive it will become, to the point where you are paying hundreds to thousands of pounds to add another 50 FPS. Realistically based purely of what "normal" upgrades there are, I would say 700-750 for a Bolt action rifle and maybe 500-550 for an aeg. But as has been said the sky is the limit really, it just gets harder the higher you want to go, as you then have to make sure the GB or bolt can take the force of the spring involved and eithe you or a motor has to cock it remember, so there will be a point where you can't go much further.

Comment

You would have to use really heavy ammo(are we restricted to 6mm?)

Originally posted by Ominous Slayer
                A brain?
                Originally posted by snuff
                Can I borrow yours it's hardly used...

Comment

Depends on what you class as an 'airsoft' gun. If you said to me 'make a bb go out that barrell as fast as you can', I'd start playing around with explosives and the like. Think how real bullets work. Something like that.

Or railguns...

Comment

I know for a fact my EBR can be pushed to the other side of 650. But i didnt like the noise it made.
                    AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

i dont have a ultra high gas pressure system haha also i should of said i only mean using general airsoft parts nothing like insane motors out of a car or pistons from a plane i mean bog standard airsoft parts

just a standard bb gun no crazy parts from something else

Comment

Ha railgun, epic, I could pretend I was playing Red Faction again.
                        If you start talking about explosives then thats changing it altogether, I have heard of an 800FPS bolt action sniper rifle (gas) in the states, however he had to machine a whole new bolt system for it and it could fire 2 rounds before the gas ran out, it also had a longer barrel to add time for acceleration. When you think some of the chinese clones were hitting 450fps out the box, Id say 650 wouldnt be that hard to achieve with an AEG, howeverstopping it from going 'SPANG' is a differant matter.
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

I managed nearly 600fps from my GBBR with the mag warmed and the NPAS fully open using ultra. I've also had a CO2 pistol that could hit 500fps after laying in the snow for half an hour. Both of these guns were bog standard, had the normal seals in and were running perfectly before and afterward.

On that basis, I'd say that with gas the sky's the limit. If you can put good enough valves in then I don't see why an otherwise standard gun can't get up near the 1000fps mark.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fenriz View Post
                            2,000,000 FPS

A Gen3 SRC G36C.

Then blow someones leg off with it.
                            Flaming the SRC's this morning?:P

Comment

Not at all. No slander. Didnt you know they were the best thing since ever? :p
                              AUTHOR OF ALL YOUR PAIN.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

BALBOSA Sound Designer\Sound Recordist, Outdoor enthusiast and all round crafty bugger, one of the 2 founding members of team unit-13, if you would like info on the team feel free to drop me a pm Find out more about BALBOSA
                              Working...
                              X