using safety googles for airsoft..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: using safety googles form airsoft..

well if there used on 'site' in the work place,w hile the grind metal, stone etc, there is always stuff flicking up and hitting them, so they would have to go through lots of pairs a day!!

Bullet proff glass is to stop bullets, that a lot more power than even a nail out of a nail gun etc... so that why they may change it after one shot... but im guessing bullet proof glass can with stand more than one shot... or do 'bad guys etc' stop shooting if one bullet doesnt pass through glass...
    FOR SALE
    7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
    , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

Re: using safety googles form airsoft..

I'm no ballistics expert but have seen that bullet proof glass won't stop all bullets (depending on how thick it is ofcourse) and maybe it won't defect after the second shot (again depending on the bullet that hits it + a number of other factors) but it's not designed to take hits forever. For another example, there are certain bullets that Kevlar body armour won't stop but that doesn't stop militaries issuing it to their troops for protection, it's just that- protection; not 100% guarenteed to stop everything that's shot at and certainly not guarenteed to protect from a million and one different shots.

Again depending on the ballistic rating of the eye protection, bits of grit, metal and other crud flicking up and hitting your glasses/goggles is slightly different to taking a direct impact multiple times by something that is probably heavier and larger. In this case, would imagine that those sort of glasses wouldn't last very long (again depending on the ballistic rating).

But I digress, am guessing that some glasses/goggles that state they are ballistic tested are probably built to withstand higher forces than say glasses that are just designed to stop splinters going in your eye if for example you're chopping wood with a chainsaw.

The real test would be to get a pair of "ballistic" specs and shoot them not just once but as many times as it takes for the specs to defect to the point where they are no longer useable, all the time measuring how many shots it takes, what distance they're firing at and the power in fps of their airsoft gun... Anyone fancy implementing said test? :p

Comment

Re: using safety googles for airsoft..

i use normal ones you can get from screw fix and have never had a problem with them. And i have had the for near 3 years now and i have never had to replace them.

but i had 2 pair of guarder ones and they were S**T they broke within about a moth of purchase and the next pair about 3 moths. i wasnt a happy bunny since a set was about £25.

Hope that helps

Cheers
        Ben
        Last edited by bigben; 7 October, 2010, 01:15. Reason: Typo

Comment

It's probably difficult to know exactly what range, power and number of bbs that hit you, but do you have a rough idea? And yes that is helpful, thanks.

Comment

I dont seem to be shot that much, these would be used for outdoor games...

I have a TM mask fan for CQB games

though i may go with glasses, mesh face mask and mk6 helmet for some CQB
            FOR SALE
            7" Magpul ERGO free float ris, 7" larue ff ris,
            , multicam pistol pouch, ACM pistol fast bags.

Comment

well back in those days i was running a 500 FPS sniper rifle so i usually was engaged from about 25-30m give or take. so i was surprised and a little shocked when my expensive safety glasses shattered in my face!!!!

Originally posted by Mattplus View Post
              It's probably difficult to know exactly what range, power and number of bbs that hit you, but do you have a rough idea? And yes that is helpful, thanks.

Comment

More than anything with the glasses style of protection is to make sure that you have enough coverage on the sides eye's reason i say this is guard earlier this year was at a game with me and someone shot him full auto at the glasses but the line went up the side so it warped the lense slightly and one flicked under the glasses hitting him in the eye, luckily it had taken enough force out that most of the problems with his sight were caused by shock. These were DeWalt glasses and considering we have used these numerous times and we have hit them with nail guns, hammers and I'm pretty sure he even shot a pair and they survived we were pretty shocked but these things do happen.

Always test your eye protection before wearing it.

This Post may contain my opinions and if you disagree with them Tough S**T!

Comment

yea, i suppose that if even a pair of glasses have a well established name, they can still be faulty and brake. And the more they got shot the weaker they are going to get!

Cheers
                  Ben

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ElZer0 I was born, stuff happend Find out more about ElZer0
                  Working...
                  X