• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: local newspaper

lazy poli
    stupid goverment
    Greedy media

(no offence to any softers who may be in those jobs)

Comment

you can blame the poliCE, government and the media all you want, it's easy to blame someone else and it's an unfortunate cliche, however the real issue is that the only people responsible for this is airsofters themselves. Airsofters should take responsibility to ensure the sustainability of their 'hobby' by lobbying for it to become a recognised sporting activity. By this I mean that there needs to be a governing body, a solid set of national rules that applies to all sites and so on...

...until you have this, airsoft will be portrayed in a negative light, and rightly so...because what 'hobby' should exist if it's players aren't organised enough to ensure that it does survive.

Look inside, not outside.

Comment

Jesus 7.62, we get it, you want some kind of players governing body.

If you want it so badly do something about it

Comment

Originally posted by 7.62mm View Post
          you can blame the poliCE, government and the media all you want, it's easy to blame someone else and it's an unfortunate cliche, however the real issue is that the only people responsible for this is airsofters themselves. Airsofters should take responsibility to ensure the sustainability of their 'hobby' by lobbying for it to become a recognised sporting activity. By this I mean that there needs to be a governing body, a solid set of national rules that applies to all sites and so on...

...until you have this, airsoft will be portrayed in a negative light, and rightly so...because what 'hobby' should exist if it's players aren't organised enough to ensure that it does survive.

Look inside, not outside.
          There is... they got us our defence in the VCRA... which is precisely why we legitimate airsoft peeps WONT be banned. Any measures that are brought in to take tacky springers out of chav scum's hands is fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by 7.62mm View Post
            , a solid set of national rules that applies to all sites and so on...
            I thought we did have a solidish set of rules. for example the fps limits and stuff.

Comment

Yup. Its called the law. :p

Comment

No Murta and Spetsnatzdave, you're way off. The law covers legal issues, a set of rules covers gameplay.

What I mean by a unilateral set of rules are rules that all airsoft sites adhere to. Remember, fps limits vary according to site and assuch they are site specific and not all encompassing. Consider the recent topic on this forum regarding the dropping of rounds and people not taking hits if the trajectory of the BB is not perfectly flat. If a standardised set of rules were in place then this type of thing would not be open to 'interpretation' as the rules would be in place so that everyone interprets that gameplay style according to the laws of the game, just like cricket, just like football, just like rugby. That is just one example.

Also, what governing body lobbied for the Violent Crime Reduction Act (2007) to provide a defense for airsofters? I wasn't aware of any airsofters governing body. Surely you mean the airsoft retailers?

Finally, to quote BigDave:

"...If you want it so badly do something about it ..."

This may be a little difficult for me to do as I'm in South Africa so I'm on the outside looking in, whereas you on the other hand are on the inside of airsoft in the UK so are in a better position to be able to do something about it. Importantly though, I find your comment very apt, because you're saying, effectively, that 'someone else' should do it. Well guess what, you've provided a perfect scenario to justify my points - it is airsofters themselves in the UK who are their own worst enemies so really you guys can't complain unless you are willing to make the relevant changes required. There have been other topics on this forum regarding this but, of course, they have long since ended in favour of topics about the favourite bootlace colour, how to mix and match Oakley gloves with Motorola 'comms' systems to communicate between dead zones and how to avoid, at all costs, airsoft standard operating procedures ...

Comment

Well at least you've discovered punctuation...

There have been several impromptu 'bodies' representing us, which have done a lot for the sport. These have been made up of representatives- yes, mainly from retailers- but also I believe involving other airsofters within the field that had the ability to help. Foremost among the retailers was Frenchie in the past, though I believe he got disillusioned with the amount of bickering within the UKARA and the fact that some retailers acted as though they were outside the rules, and left after the defence was secured.

The fact that you dont seem to be aware of the massive efforts those people put in to protect our sport in regards to the VCRA somewhat undermines your argument I'm afraid. There was even a petition at the time as part of the effort, which I and many others signed.

A 'player's body' as you suggest it, just wouldn't work. You dont seem to think much of the retailers' association (and I dont either but for a whole range of other reasons), yet I dont think you realise that they are the only ones, sad to say, who are in much of a position to be taken credibly in the eyes of the government.

Who exactly would lead such a thing? You? Dave? Me? I GUARANTEE you if I set up a 'players body' tomorrow with a dozen others you wouldn't sign up, and thats just on this forum. Airsoft in this country is extremely cyber-tribal and divided into three rough major online groups... Arnies, ASCUK and Zeroin. We're a minority, though we're growing, while Arnie's is more international, but everyone would have an opinion- and you can be sure that the ASCUK hierachy wouldn't play along. Plus, even if you DID by some moses like miracle get everyone together playing nice, a snowball stands a better chance on a hot day in hell than you would have getting the government to listen to you...

As for standardised laws, fps, etc, that sounds an awful idea. You're suggesting a milsim site with wide open spaces should have the same rules and fps as your close quarter battle indoor speedball run? To hell with that, putting it bluntly. We are lucky enough to have many individual sites each with its own great character and player base, and to melt them down into one would be a sad day for the sport. Anything potentially dangerous is covered in the law (and this is NOT the place for the old '380 fps is a firearm OMFGBBQMOFO you could KILL SOMEONE' debate, as the yanks play at way higher than that and Im fairly sure no ones died or been injured yet), and the basics of hit taking and game mechanics are fairly universal. Besides, the only serious injury from an airsoft gun on an airsoft site to date happened either a) because they were dicking around and took their protection off/shot someone ridiculously point blank range in which case its human stupidity or b) it was a one in a million fluke.

Im really not meaning to have a massive go at you like this but you do come off as a bit patronising by saying 'oh its all your fault, you don't care'. I do care, but I know that a players body would never really work, and neither would standardised rules. You say that the threads on this have all been replaced by 'meaningless' other threads... yes, that was because the majority realise how pointless the idea actually is. You seem to be trying to lecture us, but you dont seem to see that what you propose would be highly difficult to implement, ignores basic human behaviour (and some facts), and would hamper the sport far more than it could possibly help it.

End of the day, stupid ill informed daily mail reading soccer moms will still run around screaming their heads off at whatever the media tells them to whether you like it or not.

Here endeth the lesson.
                  Last edited by spetsnazdave87; 10 July, 2009, 02:42.

Comment

Your are absolutley correct i remember a mothers against gun advert that basically implied children running around with real guns, as the old saying goes "ignorance breeds fear" which the paper is just fueling.

i went to a local event at the motor museam and i found a stall selling normal airsoft guns not those bright coloured ones to random people without a licence who were underage. I asked politley does anyone a licence to buy a airsoft gun and he said no. so no doubt this guys has been selling guns to anyone and everyone without licence if those guns arent used prorperly it will reflect badly on the sport due to some random kids being able to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Hobo View Post
                      i went to a local event at the motor museam and i found a stall selling normal airsoft guns not those bright coloured ones to random people without a licence who were underage.
                      Please tell me you reported them! if not to the police then to the event organiser's

Comment

Originally posted by ThatblokewiththeScar. View Post
                        Please tell me you reported them! if not to the police then to the event organiser's

but this not the only time ive seen this happen i was on holiday in cornwall last year and the same thing happend in a shop after telling the guy behind the counter this his boss came over and asked me to leave.. what for? i was being civil but he still asked me to leave.

well i spoke to one of the guides there and told him about it, he then said he would go talk to his manager about it. But we left the place about 1hr later so i dont know the outcome

Comment

I've told the police at Hullfair about the laws surrounding RIF sales for the cyma G36s they have for sale in some of the shops... I got 'so?'.

Comment

Well there you go!

A definite clue that

No one really cares

So was this bid to ban airsoft a publicity stunt? that obviously failed and so decided to keep it low key.

Only reason police are going to schools etc and is to make their job easier and not have to run around little snot noses on the street with bb guns, they dont actually care about them they are just using scare tactics

Comment

my dads a cop guys and he was telling me bout stupid kids who get ther brains blown out but he also sadi 99.9 percent of airsofters all are very responsible with there guns. also half his squad airsoft so it wudnt be to popular lol......and i happen t know the police in dorset use airsoft to train

Comment

oh i thought police got them lol, they have moved on to walton street market now, but not for long
                                Originally posted by Montesa77
                                F**K alcohol!

See little point in it myself.
                                Originally posted by hunter101
                                In RUSSIA alcohol sees little point in you!!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joff Find out more about joff
                                Working...
                                X