X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Handheld SatNav/Mapping devices

Originally posted by natfink View Post
    go on zero one and type in GPS-CLR
    is that the type of thing your on about?
    This is exactly what i am talking about... Looks perfect if I'm honest.

Comment

I for one will be taking my N97 to GZ09 and use the GPS on it to know which way to head. You might call me a 'geardo', but I think it beats walking the wrong way for ages, and being lost all weekend :D
      Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 July, 2009, 14:19. Reason: cleaning

Comment

Ohhhh n97..flashy git

GPS is useful if you are new to GZ and cant find your way to say check point charlie or the stag camp, get there once, plot all the coords you need and whenever you get lost bobs your uncle

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
          I for one will be taking my N97 to GZ09 and use the GPS on it to know which way to head. You might call me a 'geardo', but I think it beats walking the wrong way for ages, and being lost all weekend :D
          Exactly... I might also help you coax a few people in to following you too, if they though you knew where you where going...
          Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 July, 2009, 14:20. Reason: cleaning

Comment

Used to use my Magellan at spec ops when we used all the land, but now as we arnt using all 4 miles i dont see the point, map and compass and know how to use them properly out way the cost.

Comment

i have a garmin fortrex 101 - apparently they are (or were) issued to some UK forces

basically its like a map but on your wrist - cost me about £100 but i havnt taken it skirmishing yet

i plan on creating waypoints to each part of the game sites i go to so i can coordinate people faster

...also.. well its just cool
              Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 July, 2009, 14:21. Reason: cleaning
              |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcaptain View Post
                i have a garmin fortrex 101 - apparently they are (or were) issued to some UK forces

basically its like a map but on your wrist - cost me about £100 but i havnt taken it skirmishing yet
                That little fella looks perfect... Now, to see if i can find one cheap...

Comment

Yea BEN - its a great little gadget - ill take some pics next time i skirmish if i take my SLR (edit - camera not gun )
                  Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 July, 2009, 14:22. Reason: cleaning
                  |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

GPS kit is for Milsim. If you turn up at a site hell bent on creating a cone of death with your 11.1v powered rifle spraying BBs from your hi-cap, then using GPS is not your thing nor will never see the point and you will find 1000 ways to talk it down.

I've used (many times) a wrist GPS unit (the very excellent Garmin Foretrex 101) to plot Bergen cache, Intel collection points etc but this was when Spec Ops in Dorset was several square miles.

On larger sites a GPS unit can be used in a game scenario where you capture it and then used pre-programmed waypoints that have intel, food, weapons, ammo etc. So the GPS unit becomes an objective in a game with limited ammo with teams desperate to find the ammo cache and other stuff. There's loads more scenarios where you could use a military grade/rugged GPS unit. .

In a MIlsim context, you just need a little imagination- gadgets can contribute to the fun aspect because it's little nearer to real world types of use. The Garmin Foretrex is a favourite with our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
                    Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

Gadgets are fun :d

Comment

GPS in airsoft. I am all for it if you have the cash, I love gadgets and stuff. If I had the cash I would have the landwarrior gps rig in a heartbeat... Why? What do you mean, why? its a cool peice of kit!

However i do have a mental pic of someone sneaking and then a satnav blurting out TURN LEFT! TURN LEFT!
                        Last edited by Sci Fi Steve; 15 July, 2009, 14:27. Reason: cleaning
                        Xadin {sha'din} Monkey

Next skirmish: GZ Woodland TBA

Comment

I took my iphone airsofting and it was safe in a utility pouch. The google maps function was quite good but it wasn't accurate for my small site.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

B.E.N. Intensive airsofter and forum heckler. I like dismantling stuff. Find out more about B.E.N.
                          Working...
                          X