Dying Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Gear

Righty, I am going to be dying some of my gear, and I was wondering who on here has done this before?

I will be posting before and after shots so those interested can see the results, and worst case see how not to do it!

Watch this space! :D
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Re: Dying Gear

Be a man and get your bird to do it!

Or, is this some subtle ploy hoping she'll read this thread and offer?
    sigpic

Comment

Nah she is a tad skittish about things like this (SHE'S LUCKY I CAN SEW & REPAIR STUFF), and I enjoy getting a little soft and involved in a bit of textiles every now and again.

Plus If it doesn't work I can just throw the gear away and pretend I never went through with it
      Last edited by crasstoe; 24 August, 2011, 16:50.
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Originally posted by crasstoe View Post
        Nah she is a tad skitty
        I'm so tempted to lock this thread to stop you editing that in the next few minutes before she sees it
        sigpic

Comment

EFA now, I meant skittish as in doesn't like altering things like clothing lol

You evil person you
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

If you dye your gear in the washing machine, be prepared to dye everything for a month after.Its a bitch to get rid of

Comment

i dyed an 'ACU' BDU with a light green colour - came out pretty good

no probs with the washing machine after tho. just used Dylon machine dye
              h e y d r i c h
              L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

Could always spray paint it and give it a special forces look if you are a lil worried about dying it

Or just leave it a big tub, or bath and leave it to soak in for a bit.
                sigpic

Никто, кроме нас
                Nobody, but us

Comment

I will be hand dying it so no worries with the washing machine. I didn't want to use it since its brand new!
                  www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

And the results (partial ones anyway) are in. Below is a quote from my Loadout Thread;

Okay, so I decided a while back that as good as the ACU looked on my loadout it was a tad too bright, and discovered that with Dying it was possible to make clothes darker (as you would expect) by using black dye, and by using small ammounts at a time could keep the pre-existing pattern.

This made me do a little research and I am by no means the first to try this, but I am (as far as I can tell) the first to try it with spray dye. So the product in question;

Looks a little girly but I figured that since it is washable using soap in the first hour of application, if it looks pants I can remove it.

So the initial setup. As you can see I enjoyed a Dominoes Pizza (or 2) recently and the boxes provided an excellent ground on which to create my masterpiece (or frankenstein).

So I began to spray, and on first impressions it didnt really seem to do a lot apart from make everything look wet. However I pressed on like a man and carried on spraying till everything was covered. (Quote there for someones sig)

After half an hour the pattern beneath began to show through (I was getting quite excited at this point).

The reccommended drying time is 1 hour so I figured I would leave it a little longer, and good thing too! The pattern was very clear now, and I was smiling.

A comparison shows the extent of the colour transformation. Bear in mind that this is still a little damp and is not the finished product!

Now to start on the back...

AND DISASTER STRIKES! I RUN OUT OF DYE!

The lesson from all this, buy more than I think I need next time!

I am happy with the outcome so far, however this is far from finished and I will be posting an update when my other 2 bottles of dye arrive (making sure I have plenty this time!).
                    I'll post an update when I finish.
                    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Have a look here: http://zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62596

Thats what happened when I dyed my DDPM black, I think it looks great. My only regret is that I didnt do shirt and trews at the same time, I did them seperately as the shirt was a trial run and it came out perfect, the trews went nearly totally black and a bit shiney >_<

Comment

real good dude

how it looks in the half-hour mark picture is similar to ATACs, v nice
                        h e y d r i c h
                        L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

I assume you've decided to go for a similar style to the Marines in Battle Los Angeles, the "so sweaty and dirty your gear has turned black with hardly any visible pattern on it"? :D

Comment

Came out quite nice!

Comment

Mainly just to make it match the Urban CADPAT a little better, if it goes black I wouldn't mind but its nice that the pattern is still visible... just waiting on the rest of the dye arriving so I can finish!
                              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crasstoe Chris, 23, White, Male, 5'7 Find out more about crasstoe
                              Working...
                              X