Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Trust Mesh Googles?

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
    EDIT: can also comfirm no bbs went through the mesh (smashed on impact ) and I was usings HK bbs (golden ball .2g)
    By this do you mean that no bb's smashed on impact causing shards to go through into the eye,

OR

that no bb's penetrated the mesh BECAUSE they smashed on impact.

??? Just wondering because depending on how you read it, it could mean either.

Comment

Originally posted by freerider View Post
      By this do you mean that no bb's smashed on impact causing shards to go through into the eye,

OR

that no bb's penetrated the mesh BECAUSE they smashed on impact.

??? Just wondering because depending on how you read it, it could mean either.
      OPS!! sorry i ment that no bbs smashed on impacted causing chards to go into the eyes.

Comment

The mesh used in the goggles in the video is sort of entry level, and no where near as strong as the perforated stamped steel that Heroshark or Bitterend use. I think that the perceived problems with mesh are more from a “lack of trust” aspect than a real problem. I worry more about the gaps at the sides of most glasses than I do about a bb shattering. As for getting shot x amount of times in the same spot, to echo other peoples comments, surely if you were getting shot repeatedly in the face with a high rate of fire you would turn your head, duck, move, put your arm over your face or something. I haven’t ever seen that happen in the times I’ve been skirmishing. Some people will never trust mesh, others swear by it. Take for instance the strike lower mesh masks, they are made of woven steel mesh, which on many forums other airsofters say is not as effective as stamped steel. Yet in field conditions I have never seen one fail.

Comment

I used that type of mask for about 6 years just in CQB (Electrowerkz) just about every week, including some very close(12inch) range bursts in the eye pro with no appreciable damage to the mesh. Lots of dents yes, but a you tend to react to being shot at that range the impacts are spread. I finally penetrated the mesh, by placing muzzle again the mesh and full autoing the exact same spot with 20ish bbs.

The only eye pro failure that resulted in actual damage has occurred with glasses, were full auto fire at close range popped the lens from the frame and the subsequent bb penetrated threw the corner of the eye lid, fortunately without damaging the eye, and popped out in a bloody mess, but fortunately nothing more. So I'm happy with mesh

Comment

I think the guys flaunting their heroshark mesh goggles, that's fine they're great. But to every 1 heroshark goggle owner, I dare say how many people own those cheap mesh ones in return? My eyesight is far too valuable to risk anything moving at 100m/s whatever the size touching either of my eyes.

You also should be considering that you cannot guarantee that every other player will be using high quality BB's that don't shatter on impact. What if you get someone using a 50 Round Per second Rifle in your face, chances are if they do full auto your face you will get at least 6-7 bullets in your face, possible more if they are irresponsible, all it takes is that to happen a few times in the lifetime of your goggles in the same place to blind you.

Yes it's unlikely, but it's all about reducing the risk and making your playing as safe as possible.

What about pyros and BFG's, debris flies out of them too, if you play on a site that allows them...

For me, my eyesight is worth an infinite more amount than the risk of being blinded, all it takes is 1 piece of bad luck wearing mesh to effect the rest of your life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think mesh is a completely bad thing, it's just common sense that if there are gaps there's always a slight chance of something going wrong as opposed to a solid barrier.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

The safest protection has to be ballistically rated sealed googles. However, in the game the greatest danger comes from bbs coming under a seal or from frame failure. Mesh is chosen as there is a very common problem with fogging that many (including myself) see to have despite many different attempts to alleviate. It does this successfully and I have never seen or even heard of and accident resulting from the failure of stamped steel mesh.
              Its one of those dangers which is probably less likely than dying of heat exhaustion whilst dressed head to toe in full FSBE or anaphylaxis from bee stings during a hot summers game.
              Glasses are much more dangerous.

Comment

I'm just wondering how many threads there have been about this very subject, got to be a good number. If you don't feel secure in mesh don't use them, if you do crack on. Point is we are playing a game that has potential repercussions physically if you are squeamish don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Double 0 Jedi View Post
                  Take for instance the strike lower mesh masks, they are made of woven steel mesh, which on many forums other airsofters say is not as effective as stamped steel. Yet in field conditions I have never seen one fail.
                  Not a fair comparison. There are angles involved here.

Contoured lower face mesh mask is at radically different angles to a more flatly presented goggle surface/profile.

Something ancient armour developers learnt early on was the use of angles to deflect impacts. Same thing applies. Then take the non pointed profile of a bb and the ability of a bb to snag or trap on something and then tunnel through is greatly reduced. One of the reasons why dents and damage become a serious weak spot is not just the weakening of the material but also the impact crater provides a place for the energy from the bb to be more easily focused.

In WW2 Soviet tank designers found frontal armour at an angle both helped deflect fire as well as presenting a thicker profile.

Stamp a mesh mask flat and then subject it to the same tests and it will fail just as easily if not more so.

Comment

Some other observations I have noted.

Bolle Commander goggles. Full seal and decent polycarbonate lenses. However I received a full auto burst to the face (5 or 6 hits I would estimate) from about 50 foot. Details are a bit hazy now.

I immediately looked away as you do, put my hand up and shouted hit. Its then that I realised something was wrong. So I returned to the safe area and inspected my goggles. Frame was shattered in 2 places with one lens barely held in place.

These goggles are now used to show people what can happen with this model. I emailed the company with what happened and no reply. I won't buy this brand ever again.

Then we have my ESS ICE 2.4 glasses. Amazingly strong 2.4mm polycarbonate. Great frames and they stay in place. However I normally just wear them as sunglasses or when in or around the safe zone and when doing the chrono tests before game starts.

It was a very hot day at Anzio and my V12's had the Hi Def lenses in and I could not be bothered looking for the smoke lenses. The ICE had the smoke lenses and as I was doing some marshalling in high vis for the morning, well I was not overly concerned.

So I went out with the ICE glasses and did not bother with the lower mesh mask I use. After all, I am in high vis and not really getting right in the line of fire constantly.

Normally I would not be happy with non full eye seal glasses and guess what? I had a strike to the face as I was keen to get in close and make sure people were playing fair and straight. The bb strike hit me just below the lens and tunnelled up slightly under the lens. It really hurt and I am not sure where the bb went (might not have quite got under the lens, or it might have and exited through the sides or gone up and out, I don't know) but luckily it did not hit my eye. The hit pushed my glasses forward a bit even with the strap on the frame. Had I not been using a strap, I think the glasses would probably been knocked off my face.

Had I been on the receiving end of a good long burst of fire, well, you do the math. Yes I flinched away but with guns firing 15-20 shots a second as standard, can anyone honestly say they have the reaction time to dodge the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th... no, its bullshit, you can't. Human body needs time to react to a threat and even the best like a fighter pilot cannot react quickly enough in such a situation.

I will be blunt. Anyone who uses non full seal eye protection, even worse, with no retaining strap is an idiot. I would like to see shooting glasses banned and I can see why many US sites have done so.

Comment

i have the ess v12s and the mesh version but due to them always fogging up i use the mesh one which have much thicker mesh on them

Comment

The ones I use are woven steel,I tried the pressed steel ones but light became an issue.
                        I will have to check the size but they seem pretty thick,I had to reshape the lower so I know they are quite thick.
                        I think you have to exercise caution with mesh,check and asses the build quality,thickness and even the quality of the finishing.
                        As I said before I moved to mesh because I started with goggs(the wrap arounds steamed up),moved to glasses but lacked side (and lower face)protection for CQB.. so I moved to mesh,I tried a few different sets and am completely happy with mine.
                        I don't really CQB much anymore but I will obviously encounter the odd "rambo" who will pop off a close face shot.
                        Would I reccommend mesh!?...I would state my opinion and my preference but I would also emphasize that safety is paramount and to be safe whatever you chose has to be comfortable,correctly fitting and suitable for their use.
                        One thing I'd like to add with no malice is the amount of people I've seen "lifting" goggles/glasses to clear misting,and yes I have advised "newbies"(especialy) not to do so.
                        And as an EX-paintballer don't try and tell me about anti-fogging,I've never used anything that worked properly 100%.

Comment

Seriously, try Salclear and then tell me nothing works properly.

Comment

I got a full face mask with mesh eye protection with a cheap AEG I bought from a popular online retailer. I was really chuffed with the mesh mask as in the past playing paintball I had problems with them foggin up, and being a biggish lad I do have a nasty tendency to perspire a tad, so was frequently having to duck and cover to wipe them. I had decided that I was going to go mesh for airsofting to avoid this problem, (and I liked the look) as I felt that metal would stand up better to repeated hits. HOWEVER, having read this thread and another started by whitefang I have today gone on that well known auction site and invested in a nice new pair of ESS V12 Advancers. Don't get me wrong, my mesh mask has taken some hits, and is showing no signs of any damage what so ever, but, these are my only eyes. Has anyone seen the "eyeborg"??? Google him and take a look, and tell me you wanna risk your eyes! I'll still take my mesh mask as back up, or to loan, but the V12's and a shemagh will be my main now (Glad I still got my custom fit rugby gum shield!)

Comment

Originally posted by freerider View Post
                              I got a full face mask with mesh eye protection with a cheap AEG I bought from a popular online retailer. I was really chuffed with the mesh mask as in the past playing paintball I had problems with them foggin up, and being a biggish lad I do have a nasty tendency to perspire a tad, so was frequently having to duck and cover to wipe them. I had decided that I was going to go mesh for airsofting to avoid this problem, (and I liked the look) as I felt that metal would stand up better to repeated hits. HOWEVER, having read this thread and another started by whitefang I have today gone on that well known auction site and invested in a nice new pair of ESS V12 Advancers. Don't get me wrong, my mesh mask has taken some hits, and is showing no signs of any damage what so ever, but, these are my only eyes. Has anyone seen the "eyeborg"??? Google him and take a look, and tell me you wanna risk your eyes! I'll still take my mesh mask as back up, or to loan, but the V12's and a shemagh will be my main now (Glad I still got my custom fit rugby gum shield!)
                              If you buy heroshark or bitter end mesh googles that wont be a problem just a case of bbs smashing on impact which is very slim chance.

Comment

Originally posted by SAS Scott View Post
                                If you buy heroshark or bitter end mesh googles that wont be a problem just a case of bbs smashing on impact which is very slim chance.
                                Was gonna say this. Hs goggles and ess are similar prices. Just down to preferences.
                                -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                                -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

jonny lovegrove Marshal @ ZED Adventures: The Mall - RIP 2018 Find out more about jonny lovegrove
                                Working...
                                X