• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bank transfer?

no! lol.....General, u r so funny!

Comment

I do prefer to use back transfers where possible, I do have a paypal account and will use it if the seller insists but if I pay cash over the counter into the sellers account....it stops the wife knowing how much I'm spending on gear :D

Comment

If I buy something for over £15 I don't mind adding a £ or 2 to cover the fees but anything lower I usually send as Gift on trust and up to now (touch Wood) it hasn't bitten me on the @rse.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveuknotts View Post
          beginning to think my grounds for doubt were founded!!!

20 hours after questioning method of payment........... nothing, nil , nada!

2 emails, 3 pm's...... nothing, no response!!

glad i never parted with my money now!
          You never know the Seller may be having RL problems and can't get online but if you haven't parted with any Money no problem

Comment

seemed to manage fine until i questioned if he had friends or family who had paypal

Comment

Mods please close

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
                If you want to be one of those starting a thread in a couple of weeks time, naming and shaming, pay via bank transfer.

If you want to be able to get your money back if it goes South...use Paypal and pay the 4%.
                I'm sorry BAMF but that's a load of BS. Paypal will NOT and i repeat NOT give you your money back 100%.

Reason number one. Buyer protection is only for purchases made on eBay. NOT private sales which these are.

Reason number two. If the Scammer has taken the money out of they're paypal and bank account, paypal can NOT take that money back. Reason being you have to manually make a payment via credit/debit card. Or have a bank account linked. Now the main issue with this is paypal take funds via Direct Debit. And if you have no funds in your account the DD will just bounce. Therefore you will NOT get your money back

Reason number three. If someone were to sell you an M14 for example. Which let's say for instance weighs 5KG. Now... someone can send you a box full of paper weighing the same, and as long as it was sent recorded you have NO proof what so ever that what you received isn't what you bought. The Seller could just say your trying to rip them off and they held up on they're end of the deal.

Reason number four. Paypal do NOT care about you. As long as they receive they're money they don't give two hoots about what happens to your money.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter101 View Post
                  I'm sorry BAMF but that's a load of BS. Paypal will NOT and i repeat NOT give you your money back 100%.

Reason number one. Buyer protection is only for purchases made on eBay. NOT private sales which these are.

Reason number two. If the Scammer has taken the money out of they're paypal and bank account, paypal can NOT take that money back. Reason being you have to manually make a payment via credit/debit card. Or have a bank account linked. Now the main issue with this is paypal take funds via Direct Debit. And if you have no funds in your account the DD will just bounce. Therefore you will NOT get your money back

Reason number three. If someone were to sell you an M14 for example. Which let's say for instance weighs 5KG. Now... someone can send you a box full of paper weighing the same, and as long as it was sent recorded you have NO proof what so ever that what you received isn't what you bought. The Seller could just say your trying to rip them off and they held up on they're end of the deal.

Reason number four. Paypal do NOT care about you. As long as they receive they're money they don't give two hoots about what happens to your money.

Well said

Too many people on here are obsessed with Paypal and have been brainwashed into thinking its the ONLY way to pay-yes it is on the Bay of E but not on private forums,you do have a choice of other payment methods

Comment

Oh right...BS?

My sincerest apologies, but I thought the OP was asking for people's opinions on the matter?

The scenario you describe must not be able to occur using the bank transfer method, thus rendering it 100% safe?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I got stung, my bank actually told me I should've used a more secure method as opposed to a direct bank transaction.

Tell you what...you use your methods and I'll use mine...fair? Or BS?
                    There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Bank transfers are fine and dont stiff you for 3.5% like the 'middle man' PayPal. If someone tries to con you theres a pretty obvious paper trail to follow. Also banks dont like being used to defraud people ;P

Comment

<mega post fail>

Comment

Originally posted by BAMF View Post
                          Oh right...BS?

My sincerest apologies, but I thought the OP was asking for people's opinions on the matter?

The scenario you describe must not be able to occur using the bank transfer method, thus rendering it 100% safe?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I got stung, my bank actually told me I should've used a more secure method as opposed to a direct bank transaction.

Tell you what...you use your methods and I'll use mine...fair? Or BS?
                          What your bank said sounds a bit bizzare as I cant think of a more secure way than transferring between banks , maybe they deem their services that require some form of insurance (i.e ccard) 'secure' (which would be convenient..) .Either way the recipient bank is not going to like being used to defraud someone so the money will come back, just probably not as quick as a PayPal rebate. I suppose it comes down to how long it takes to recover the lost sum at the end of the day.

Comment

Morning all,

I work for a major high street bank. Currently work managing corporate clients so deal with transfers/transactions every day and previously was a branch manager for personal banking. (dont hang me - never traded in the city and never had a million pound bonus!).

Let me tell you the actual position of banks to clear up the urban myths:

When selling:

Someone pays via bank transfer its easy, wait at least 24 hours after the money comes in and then send. Once cleared funds are in the account they cannot be clawed back the next working day. You wont get conned you are guaranteed your money once it is in your account and you have waited 24 hours.

Two types of payment:

Faster Payment - instant between most high street banks. Cannot be clawed back once arrived. Even if sent incorrectly the only method of clawback is via small claims court. A bank will NOT claw it back just because its a mistake of if the sender tries to claim it was a mistake.

BACS - most building socities or non high street bank will use this method. Takes 3 days for money in - it leaves their account and is in the clearing cycle (i.e black void) for one day then arrives in theirs the next. It can be clawed back the day it arrives so wait till the next day and then it is guaranteed funds.

(there is a third method called CHAPS but costs c.£27 and is only used in reality for international transactions or transactions over 10k which is unlikely when selling in airsoft. It cannot be recalled next day so treat it like BACS)

When Buying:

To send a payment by either of the above methods you need at minimum: account number, sort code and name. I would suggest getting the address as well.

If you send money and item doesn't arrive under no circumstances will the bank get involved at all. We wont provide details of the individual and we wont claw back regardless of whether its same bank you sent it from or not.

As long as the payment instruction was legit (i.e you keyed it/requested it in accordance with the mandate on your account) then the bank will not do anything without a court order.

However since you have the individuals details you can approach small claims court who if they rule in your favour may contact the bank for the details of the transaction. Banks will provide this info. Then its between solicitors/courts and the individuals. The courts cannot demand the sellers bank to send the money back but can order the person to send it. The bank can freeze accounts and can send money to the courts as required but will not just send money back where it came from.

Hope that clears it up.

The risk when buying is that you do not have any control whether they send it or not and neither your or their bank will get involved.

And it is possible for someone to open an account and then fraudulently sell then close account. However if you pursue through small claims they will track down the individual or at very least that person will not be able to get an account at any other high street bank. This is due to a CIFAS marker being put onto their credit file so any credit check will fail due to a fraud marker.
                            Last edited by CBarker; 24 September, 2011, 17:01.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Steveuknotts Not finished it yet! lol Find out more about Steveuknotts
                            Working...
                            X