Magpul Fakes - How To Tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpul Fakes - How To Tell

I have been searching around and I keep on coming across loads of what I belive to be magpul fakes, however I have been thinking how can you tell if it is a magpul fake for example the AFG fakes look the same made with same materials and tha packaging looks identical, is there any special way of knowing?

Kind Regards

Toby

Re: Magpul Fakes - How To Tell

Depends, where have you found them?

Comment

Well generally they have a stamp saying magpul, however If your getting something identical for cheaper why does it have to be the 'real' one?
      My iTrader:
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=103714

sigpic

Comment

Because obviously the more real magpul you have on your gun, the better range and accuracy it has.

Comment

To be honest. Unless its a very VERY poor copy... who cares? It does the job, for airsoft we dont really need the strength of Magpul gear... That said all my Magpul gear is the real stuff... but that's simply because I want best quality for all my rifles.. I have a copy AFG and a genuine AFG and to be honest... the genuine isn't worth the premium price I paid for it compared to the copy.

Pmags are slightly different as they're thinner and can miss feed, but then again mine work flawlessly in all my G&P guns all I had to do was pack the magwell slightly!

Comment

Isn't the term called fagpul dylemours

Best to just get fake stuff as you call it as people will by that over real stuff due to price different even though it's exactly the same on the rifle

Comment

Real Magpul stuff is ITAR restricted and won't fit your airsoft guns in most instances, it's also about double the price of licensed Magpul PTS stuff.

Genuine Magpul PTS parts are distributed in the UK by Edgar Brothers Airsoft, they do come in different packaging than that of real Magpul parts, and they should be marked with "for training and simulation use only".

I have encountered some copies of the PTS stuff that flat out SUCKS and is really badly moulded, it looks like they are perhaps batches that were run off the line at the end of the toolings life span and are sold by the Chinese based manufacturer as seconds, and I've seen some that are identical aside from photocopied packaging. There's a fair chance these were sold elsewhere out the back door of the Chinese factory and are one and the same as the legit Magpul PTS stuff. Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

In the case of magazines, there are the Green Label/STAR mags that are about as cheaper alternatives to PTS PMags... I don't think they are a fully "licensed" product, but rather one that is tolerated by the PTS brand. They work OK in my experience, not well enough to rely on though because of the fit isues, I'd rather have 4 PTS pmags than ten Green Label,s and a bunch of wadding in my magwell but that's just me.

What I will say is, Magpul and its PTS division are one of few companies out there that have cared enough to cater for a small market of enthusiasts and give us legitimate licensed replica products. Even if the copies or fakes are of a decent quality, in a game of honour and honesty, should we not spend a little extra and support the companies that go to the lengths to bring us these things? Perhaps I'm being a little idealistic, but it is very damaging to the UK airsoft industry to buy everything from Hong Kong or China.

So, in answer to the original question, to ensure you get a legit product, buy from a legit UK source and cut out any doubt, at least then you can be satisfied in the knowledge you have supported a UK retailer!

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                In the case of magazines, there are the Green Label/STAR mags that are about as cheaper alternatives to PTS PMags... I don't think they are a fully "licensed" product, but rather one that is tolerated by the PTS brand. They work OK in my experience, not well enough to rely on though because of the fit isues, I'd rather have 4 PTS pmags than ten Green Label,s and a bunch of wadding in my magwell but that's just me.

What I will say is, Magpul and its PTS division are one of few companies out there that have cared enough to cater for a small market of enthusiasts and give us legitimate licensed replica products. Even if the copies or fakes are of a decent quality, in a game of honour and honesty, should we not spend a little extra and support the companies that go to the lengths to bring us these things? Perhaps I'm being a little idealistic, but it is very damaging to the UK airsoft industry to buy everything from Hong Kong or China.

So, in answer to the original question, to ensure you get a legit product, buy from a legit UK source and cut out any doubt, at least then you can be satisfied in the knowledge you have supported a UK retailer!
                That's a perfectly fair argument, problem is i and presumably hundreds or thousands of others cant afford the price for genuine parts, and even if i could budget it in I couldn't justify the expense in what is essentially a toy accessory. I'm not saying its the companies fault, i'm just saying as usual real life circumstances trump ideology in this case. It's a shame, but thats how it is for me at least ;/

Comment

Originally posted by Venison View Post
                  That's a perfectly fair argument, problem is i and presumably hundreds or thousands of others cant afford the price for genuine parts, and even if i could budget it in I couldn't justify the expense in what is essentially a toy accessory. I'm not saying its the companies fault, i'm just saying as usual real life circumstances trump ideology in this case. It's a shame, but thats how it is for me at least ;/
                  That's also another totally fair point. I would like to stress though, I'm not rolling in cash by any means. Money is just as big a problem for me as it is to many, the publishing industry isn't one that's famed for commanding high salaries.

Comment

Bought a Chinese AFG-1, when it came, it's made of a horrible glossy plastic, struggled to fit it on the rails. It does the job but I was disappointed to say the least. So in that sense I wish I'd bought PTS.

On the other hand, I'd rather spend £13 for a set of clone MBUS sights opposed to £60 for the real deal.
                    WANTED: Dynatec BFG.

Comment

To answer the OP, the only way to tell is poor moulding lines and the colours are generally a little washed out, apart from that 99.9% of the airsoft community couldn't care less, and 50% of those 99.9% think it looks rubbish anyway, is horribly expensive for a toy add on, and it adds to the disgusting issue of branded products in Airsoft. Honestly, how is a Magpul stock in Airsoft any better than another crane stock? Do the words Magpul allow you to command wild beasts to do you bidding? Does the word Magpul make girls remove their clothing and give your hopup a tweak around the corner? Didn't think so...

My advice is buy the clone stuff and spend the savings on a holiday, after all if you buy all clone gear the ammount you save over the whole rifle is a fair chunk!
                      King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
                      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

Do edgar brothers have any control over the magpul stuff in the UK, can they stop a company from selling fakes if they are

Kind Regards

Toby

Comment

Stop a company selling fakes?

I doubt they have any legal powers.

Comment

Originally posted by B.E.N. View Post
                            just for thought, that exactly what cybergun have done w/ obtaining trades legally yet everyone bitches about them?

Comment

[QUOTE=bravotwozero;916821]Stop a company selling fakes?

I doubt they have any legal powers.[/

They do have legal powers and Edgar brothers actively pursue fakes, my understanding is that they act in situations where people either call the fake goods by the trademarked magpul name or when they are quite clearly the same as a magpul product and are marketed as magpul style. Manafacturers and importer have clear legal rights of redress when it comes to these things and trading standards can and occasionally do destroy anything that is ordered from abroad and is fake.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tintin102 Find out more about tintin102
                              Working...
                              X