Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magpul Fakes - How To Tell

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
    its all valid points, however for me it comes down to value for money, and i dont like the fact that we get shafted in this country for the same items that you buy abroad at a more affordable price,and im not just talking airsoft, im talking about almost every item......you take the car industry in this country for example, it costs thousands of pounds more to buy a car made in a factory in the UK, than it does to go to germany and buy the same model thats been exported from the UK...why is that? why do we have to put up with being ripped off...in the global market you dont have to.....

and you take a magpul stock...its a piece of molded plastic, that costs pennies to make, i dont care about R&D, packaging,advertisments distribution,or any other imflated over heads...at the end of the day its still a piece of molded plastic, and the price should reflect that
    What utter rubbish.

You might not care about the people getting paid to develop, design, manufacture, ship and so and and so on but these costs are real. They have to be passed on to the customer AND there must be some profit at the end of it or guess what happens? No one bothers developing things. The magic monkeys in China (no I am not being racist, honestly!) have no idea about development or idea's, they just monkey see monkey do and copy anything they can get their hands on and often do it a lot cheaper and slightly worse.

There have been so many designs cloned by these guys and they clone design flaws as they have no idea what so ever, what they are actually providing as a product. They don't care, they just want cash. Companies who spend real money on a potentially very expensive venture dread the Chinese getting a copy out before they can recoup their losses. I know this for a fact.

Easy to bang something out cheaply when you did not have to pay all those development costs.

Honestly, if we all thought like you, we would still be back in the dark ages with no one willing to come up with new idea's because no one could make a living out of it.

Comment

It's also worth noting that clones are the very reason airsoft is maligned in the US by shooters and as a knock-on, manufacturers. Look at the comments from American shooters about airsoft when some Element replica tourniquets got mixed up with some real ones...

We laugh at the Americans for being so gun-ho about buying "American Made", but they have a point...

Comment

Got to say, I am a bit surprised I am making this position so strongly.

I am not well off and simply cannot afford things like I used to.

Do I think we get ripped off in this country? Yes and then some! By the time something has arrived at our shores and the Government has had it's slice of money and the retailer has had it's profit added on top, well we end up paying a lot for what we buy. Not just airsoft. In general we get ripped off in this country.

When I was in the States I was shocked how cheap things were and that was in NYC, over in NJ it was cheaper again!

Do I think there is a case that companies ought to charge less for their products and go for volume and make it so no one would bother buying a clone or copy when the real thing was only slightly more? Yes! Emphatically so. In the real world though stating it's just a bit of plastic so ought to cost the value of a bit of plastic. Well, it's a finished product. Not just a bit of plastic.

I think this country has become rather bitter about costs and the economic down turn has legitimised theft in many peoples eyes. An argument that surprisingly many would not argue with when you see the profits film companies have made in the past and music artists continue to make.

Comment

If I bought a magpul clone item, I'd have more money to spare on actual skirmishing costs.

Genuine I would not.

Comment

I don't know if this was already posted but MAGPUL has a little guide on the UBR:

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/counterfit_ubr.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
              If I bought a magpul clone item, I'd have more money to spare on actual skirmishing costs.

Genuine I would not.
              If you stole said item from a shop, it would give you even greater savings! Theft is theft. Handing over money does not legitimise the transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post

Genuine I would not.
                If I went and stole a pint from the pub, I'd have more money to buy beer, but somebody else would be without money or beer.

Comment

If my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike!

Comment

Just received 5 PTS E-Mags. They're gorgeous. Real trades, heavy, solid materials. Within reason, yes, buy PTS.

I do not extend this logic to optics though. I spent £40 on my Eotech 552, and will not spend £500-ish on a real one. Ever.

*Buys RS Eotech*
                    Goes by the callsign "Iceman" to avoid confusion with the entire Delta team...

Originally posted by Grounded_Pilot
                    ...changed my mind.

Putting a BB in a silencer then using it as a blowpipe. that's the best.
                    a whole 85fps!

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                      What utter rubbish.

You might not care about the people getting paid to develop, design, manufacture, ship and so and and so on but these costs are real. They have to be passed on to the customer AND there must be some profit at the end of it or guess what happens? No one bothers developing things. The magic monkeys in China (no I am not being racist, honestly!) have no idea about development or idea's, they just monkey see monkey do and copy anything they can get their hands on and often do it a lot cheaper and slightly worse.

There have been so many designs cloned by these guys and they clone design flaws as they have no idea what so ever, what they are actually providing as a product. They don't care, they just want cash. Companies who spend real money on a potentially very expensive venture dread the Chinese getting a copy out before they can recoup their losses. I know this for a fact.

Easy to bang something out cheaply when you did not have to pay all those development costs.

Honestly, if we all thought like you, we would still be back in the dark ages with no one willing to come up with new idea's because no one could make a living out of it.
                      development costs!! are we talking about a magpul or an i-phone...and you like paying over the odd prices for things in this country that cost upto 50% cheaper abroad, for no aparant reason other than CEO pay packets and shareholders dividends

because you blindly pay any price offered in the high street you are encouraging rip off britain...i suppose you are going to say its ok for VW to charge £180 for a spare key, when the actuall key costs £2 and a transponder chip costs 50p, or ticket master pricing structure is fair...or premier league football match is worth £60...i could go on

your attitude is the reason why there is so much greed in todays society, because you justify over inflated prices, and condone it by paying them.
                      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

development costs!! are we talking about a magpul or an i-phone...and you like paying over the odd prices for things in this country that cost upto 50% cheaper abroad, for no aparant reason other than CEO pay packets and shareholders dividends

because you blindly pay any price offered in the high street you are encouraging rip off britain...i suppose you are going to say its ok for VW to charge £180 for a spare key, when the actuall key costs £2 and a transponder chip costs 50p, or ticket master pricing structure is fair...or premier league football match is worth £60...i could go on

your attitude is the reason why there is so much greed in todays society, because you justify over inflated prices, and condone it by paying them.
                        Some things are apparently over priced, but can I ask you, do you feel you get paid adequately for your job?

Comment

No I do not condone them, if you actually had the capacity to understand my argument you would have plainly seen this. I clearly stated I wanted prices to come down and gave a sound reasoned argument for this.

When you get paid £20 a week because your work is valued as such, then I predict you will be the first up in arms about that!

It is all about a balance and at the moment, we in the UK pay too much tax and pay too much for goods and services. That in no way excuses buying stolen goods though and be under no illusions, intellectual property theft is still theft. You are not Robin Hood, don't try and obfuscate the arguments and facts.

I more than anyone sympathise with the arguments of things costing too much but stealing or buying rip off goods is not the solution.

Comment

this thread is getting a bit off topic,and i feel that you are becoming a little too personal,so either we agree to disagree, open another thread or take it to PMs.

Comment

have you been living in a bubble we live in a capitalist society get used to it, it's the way the world works. By you buying clone stuff it isn't going to change that all it does is leave you liable to having you stuff confiscated I'm assuming if edgar brother wanted to they could use the law to confiscate the clones? much like the police confiscating clone designer gear.
                              Also what about the people manufacturing this stuff they're in china so we can assume that the factory is going to be a borderline sweat shop like the majority of the factories there, by buying the clone stuff your continuing this cycle and giving china the green light to rip off intellectual property? I mean we've all seen the fake apple stuff that's built out there, I suppose that's ok?

Comment

considering magpul pts is made in hong kong your argument is.........

and i can give you a very strong argument as to why sweatshops are a positive step for 3rd world countries.....but im not going to as i dont wish to go back to my uni days, but as a small taster it empowers women.
                                Last edited by sparrowhawk; 5 January, 2012, 17:05.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tintin102 Find out more about tintin102
                                Working...
                                X