Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Magpul Dark Earth Coloured Paint Help- equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpul Dark Earth Coloured Paint Help- equivalent?

Well no, I haven't found someone making Flat Dark Earth paint (shame) but wanted to ask if anyone knows of a paint that is a close colour match that can be purchased in the UK? Unfortunately some of the images of Magpul products in this colour are somewhat inconsistent from photo to photo, as shown below, which doesn't help. I basically want any advise/opinions of paint close to Dark Earth. I bought some paint which I knew would be darker, but wanted to see if it was any lighter than the Dark Brown you can get from Krylon as the cap made the paint look flat and an ok colour so did a little test against Krylon Khaki on a rail cover....eh no, the finish is way too shiney and too dark still, not quite flat and not the colour of the cap, real colour is a tad darker/shinier. The Khaki by Krylon is not quite a match to Magpul but not far off I think as it is a little too light still, but not bad as shown in my SIG image and the test rail cover. Any thoughts or help welcome.

Test subject Krlon Khaki and Plasticote Nutneg:

Sig in Krylon Khaki:

Inconsistent examples pulled from the net:

Last edited by Babyalien; 19 February, 2012, 22:04.

I've never found an exact match. Krylon Khaki is too light as is their Sand. But the Med Brown a bit too dark.

I think someone suggest Tamiya paints once? Might be worth trying your local rc store!

Comment

Re: Magpul Dark Earth Coloured Paint Help- equivalent?

It's been suggested in the past that Humbrol Dark Earth is a pretty good match. Can also be bought as an acrylic or enamel paint in small tinlets.

Comment

Originally posted by Fil View Post
        It's been suggested in the past that Humbrol Dark Earth is a pretty good match. Can also be bought as an acrylic or enamel paint in small tinlets.
        Humbrol Flat Earth/Dark Earth (has two different names but the number is 29) is the nearest match ive found, if you look at the picture in my sig, the eotech cover and magwell grip is sprayed with the paint but the handgaurd is proper magpul colour. Theres a slight difference but hardly noticable.
        sigpic

Comment

Best match I found was Humbrol 155.

Comment

An almost exact match is model master SAC Bomber Tan 1992 FS34201, available from most decent online model shops, available as an enamel spray. looks slightly different on the can but is a superb match.

Comment

Isn't the Humbrol 155 Olive as the Google results point to that colour when searching? As for the SAC Bomber Tan 1992 FS34201, colour match looks good but what is the finish like? Is it matt/flat like it needs to be? Can't stand shiney paints on guns.

Comment

Yes it is but as magpul FDE is not earth brown but more green its the closet I found

Comment

It's completely flat. No shiny.

Comment

(rubbing hands together) Looks like a might order a can of the SAC Bomber Tan to try although it's cheap so maybe 2, ;0) Thanks for the advise peeps. I'll make sure I post the results in picture form asap.

Comment

tamiya khaki is near as damn it!!! XF-49

I painted my eotech, its a good match, was black...

Comment

Yep, tamiya khaki is another good match, I didn't mention it because you can only get it in acyrlic pots and not spray cans at the moment, the acrylic tends to be a bit shiny and the spray cans are currently outlawed in the EU because tamiya left off some stupid text about not containing CFC's and tamiya couldn't be bothered to change the writing.

Comment

yeh, I gave up looking for it in a can, halfrauds will colour match it if you take them a pot, I personally use an airbrush, when thinned its not as bad

Comment

I do a lot of my painting with my iwata BC plus but then I spend a lot of time making model kits as well, so airbrushes tend to be out of most peoples skills if you're only painting guns, you've definately eliminated the shiny effect by using the right thinners. Actually the Halfords thing isn't a bad idea but at £13 a can a tad expensive.

Comment

Great post many thanks will let you know how I get on I have ordered SAC Bomber Tan 1992 FS34201

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                              Working...
                              X