Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Magpul Dark Earth Coloured Paint Help- equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magpul Dark Earth Coloured Paint Help- equivalent?

Well and update on the paint. I have now received my SAC Bomber Tan 1992 FS34201. I performed a test on a plastic RIS rail I had kicking about. For quickness I primed the rail with some black Krylon. Then sprayed 3 or 4 layers of the Tan paint and left to dry. Now, on it's own, the colour doesn't look to bad as an individual colour but I wasn't totally convinced of the match to Dark Earth. Knowing I had some PTS PMAG's on there way to me I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison when the mags were here. Now placed side-by-side, I'm not happy with the 'match' or lack of. I know I'm not going to get an exact match regardless but the colour doesn't even look close IMO. There is also a pic of the gun with the Khaki Krylon parts on it and the ark Earth mag fitted which obviously isn't a match but it doesn't exactly look out of place colour-wise. I'm going to do another test with a light base coat to see if that changes things at all but I'm doubtful. Any thoughts peeps as to what went wrong or just a poor match?

Last edited by Babyalien; 25 February, 2012, 21:40.

Comment

Thanks for the update,
      There is also a pic of the gun with the Khaki Krylon parts on it and the ark Earth mag fitted which obviously isn't a match but it doesn't exactly look out of place colour-wise. I'm going to do another test with a light base coat to see if that changes things at all but I'm doubtful
      Can you do more of a comparison showing the mag next to the scope and maybe take the pictures outside to get natural light, Krylon looks good whats that colour like against the sac bomber ?

Comment

Hi Mate

If you look on the Masada picture thread you'll see my acr with a 552 on it. I painted the 552 with humbrol 155, I know its 100% match but in most light its pretty close

Comment

Yeah I'll admit the Humbrol doesn't look out of place next to Dark Earth, but due to me being a fussy bugger it's just not close enough for me but I'm not an easy person to please at the best of times, lol. As for pics in better light Exibit, I'll get some sorted today and posted later as it a good sunny day out there so good for outdoor pics.

Comment

Well as promised I have taken some pics of the Magpul DE mag next to the Khaki parts in natural daylight as per Exibits request as well as a pic of the SAC Bomber Tan painted RIS rail next to the Khaki. Finally a comparison in daylight of the DE mag and the SAC Bomber Tan. I am currently in the process of experimenting with a dark brown Krylon basecoat, not sure if it will make a blind bit of difference or not. I will also try a Khaki basecoat and these experimental tests will be done on slightly larger body parts (no, not those body parts your pervs, tut!)

I'll post the pics of the test parts as soon as they are done and photographed.

Last edited by Babyalien; 26 February, 2012, 22:25.

Comment

The SAC Bomber is a close match but I can see that the dark earth is a colour on its own, those pictures are great many thanks for posting them, will let you know how I get on

Comment

Right, brief update using some larger test samples. The first image is a mag vs mag comparison. I sprayed a Krylon Brown base then sprayed the SAC Bomber Tan over the top. Nice colour overall but as for a match, no cigar! The second image is a section of a RIS panel which had a Krylon Khaki base then a coat of SAC Bomber Tan, a different result in colour to the M4 mag but still not there though possibly closer, not sure? The third image is a comparison of the 2 test parts side by side. The difference can clearly be seen and they are both nice colours but still not there. I have since ordered some Humbrol No.29 Flat Dark Earth so we will see what that is like. Watch this space as I hope to have pics up by the end of the week.

Comment

Humbrol No.29 Flat Dark Earth
                  I have just paintd my 552 Scope with Sac Bomber looks good but not close enough for me, let me know how you get on with the Humbrol

Comment

Sorry it's been a while since the last post but been busy and struggled to find the time to complete the painting. Well, as posted previously I bought some Humbrol No.29 Dark Earth (though stated as Dark Brown not Dark Earth on the cap) but as long as it states No.29 and is Matt Acrylic you know you have the right stuff, just to clear that up. As for the match, well not an exact match but a lot closer and certainly better than the SAC Bomber Tan. Below you can see some side-by-side comparisons. The difference is there but not outright obvious and certainly the Humbrol parts do not look out of place next to the Dark Earth Pmag. In the flesh to colour match looks even better than when shown in a photo and the finish of the Humbrol paint is really flat and a tough, much like Krylon. The quest will continue for an even closer match, however I'm happy with the Humbrol No.29, so much so I have now painted the rest of the external parts as pictured. Hopefully this thread has been useful for people. Feel free to post any further comments or opinions.

Pmag and Humbrol painted pistol grip.

Pmag and Humbrol painted stock.

Side-by-side comparisons: Dark Earth Pmag, SAC Bomber M4 mag and Humbrol Acrylic No.29 pistol grip/stock.

Finished results.

Comment

Babyalien
                      Excellent update is the Humbrol a spay can or apply with brush paint

Comment

Paint the PMAG's! Then it will all match ;-)

Nice M4 by the way, me likey.

Comment

Ah yeah, forgot to state that you can get it in tin and spray form. Needless to say I went with the spray which is £5.00 for a 150ml can so not the cheapest but that is a good thing as the finish is so good and easy to work with too. rubi-tong, I have toyed with the idea of painting the PMAG's but thought it might be a bit of an issue trying to mask of the windows but maybe in time we'll see. Thanks for the positive comment of the gun though. I have spent a lot of time/money and effort getting it to how she looks now. Lots of little tweeks/mods that can't be seen too.

Comment

i think im going to go down the route of asking halfords to paint match for me, i will post the results :D

si
                            sigpic

Comment

looks good!
                              sigpic

Comment

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but it is somewhat related...ssssort of...

Bear with me as i explain.

Im after some Magpul XT Rail covers in DE, but i want to know if they match the rest of the Magpul DE line (pistol grip or stock for example) I ask because the rail cover is made of some sort of rubber, rather than plastic. So i want to know if the colours are going to match perfectly. If not i will settle on the black covers.

Any help will be much appreciated.
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Babyalien Easy going fella, always up for a laugh. Crude sense of humour. Find out more about Babyalien
                                Working...
                                X