Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colt M4 & Variants

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
    Lovely, though not really retro as the mid length set up is quite a recent custom option.
    Poor choice of words in my title, I should have said retro "looking" mid length.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo1 View Post
      -CKinnerley, thanks for advice, well aware that the gas block does not secure the barrel, the issue with the TM's is their use of non standard barrel nut's and the "star" being attached to the barrel strengthener, the Madbull RIS ii locking nut does do a pretty good job and will keep the barrel attached to the reciever just thought the gas block would stop the side to side movement if it sits flush with the inside of the RIS...
      Well this is my point, to my knowledge the gas block will not fit exactly inside the rail so as to somehow steady/support the barrel against the inside walls of said rail. If any firearm was setup to do that the entire forend would be red hot and useless in no time at all when shooting, so if you buy a gas block that replicates a real one it's not going to touch the handguard and that wouldn't be a very good solution accuracy wise either, even if it did just about work. I'm sure the proprietary barrel nut that comes with the RIS II does a decent job but it's not the barrel nut that's at fault, it's the fact that the c-shaped barrel base on the TM doesn't make for enough surface area interaction between the barrel nut and outer barrel to ensure a solid mounting; most airsoft ARs of course having a full 360 degree base for the barrel nut to press down on.
      REMF Tacticool - Facebook, YouTube & Instagram

Comment

Been advised to look into the Madbull barrel nut washers, do you think they would do the trick?

Comment

rubber O ring under the D ring (Or what substitutes the D Ring in that case) usually stops any barrel movement?

Comment

Decided to go nice and simple to start with on my Tippmann M4 so went for the US Pol / LEA patrol rifle look

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo1 View Post
              Been advised to look into the Madbull barrel nut washers, do you think they would do the trick?
              It's all different ways addressing the same issue.

IMHO, adding a ton of washers or shims and the like under your barrel nut to fix this problem is 'the wrong tool for the job' as it were. I think from an engineering stand point it's a bit of a bodge fix that doesn't really deal with the root of the problem. If you're looking for something that'll alleviate the issue for the most part and for very little money then yeah washers, or as mentioned try an o-ring. Just saying it's not my personal choice is all.

Comment

Your choice would be?

Comment

The after-market barrel bases I advised picking up in my previous post?

Comment

One of theses?
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's the one. The original is a soft pot metal that's readily deformed; the Prometheus one is a bit better. If you're not prepare to do what I did and ditch the stupid system altogether (i.e., buying a proper barrel nut and using that) ARS do a two-part steel one that's considerably more stable.

Comment

i made use of laylax spacers.
                        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Thanks for all the advice gents, best stop posting here now in case we get in bother with the mods...

Comment

My Marui M4 Socom EBBr, just needs a black MOE grip!
                            TM SCAR-H Recoil // TM MK18 Recoil // VFC HK417 // KWA Kriss Vector // ASG AW.338 //
                            TM Glock 18c // TM Five-SeveN // VFC FNX.45 Tactical // KWA USP.45 Tactical //

Comment

G&P Defender..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Moar retro goodness... A Systema PTW Colt 630, which is essentially an XM177E2 without the forward assist.

The upper is spot-on, but the lower not so much. It shares a lower with a 727 upper so it looks good enough with both :D I made it as a backup for my M16 at Vietnam games.

Apologies for the pics... I live in a cave.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

NitroJoe I love lamp. Find out more about NitroJoe
                                Working...
                                X